Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,462,488 times

Advertisements

I recently finished reading "The Prince of Providence" by Mike Stanton, and came away pretty intrigued by Cianci. I thin a shortcoming of the book was that it didn't explore Cianci's contributions to the city. From what friends and acquaintances tell me, he was a real player in the development of this city. I know nothing about the former mayor's accomplishments, so I would really enjoy reading posts about the Cianci years and how he changed this great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:55 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,794,155 times
I can't name specific accomplishments, but I can tell you that the first time I visited Providence was in 1988. I stayed at a hotel near the convention center, and it was NOT a place I felt safe to walk the streets. Fast forward to 2000 when I moved to Rhode Island. It was a night and day difference. The city was bustling and I felt safe. Many new businesses, and an overall safer feel that just wasn't there when I had first walked downtown. Although he was mayor in the 1970s to mid-1980s, it really was his second stint as mayor that turned the city around, IMO. Was he crooked and dirty? Yup. But it worked for the city.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,000,959 times
He undeniably did wonders for Providence, but I find the guy's commentary on ABC 6 to be an utter joke. And if you read the book (as did I when i first moved here) you know all the horrible things he did to people.

So I guess necessary, but unpalatable haha

Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,568,205 times
What horrible things did he to do people ?

Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 AM

9,320 posts, read 14,934,641 times
Here's a good overview of Buddy. He was a mafia style politician but he made the trains run on time and did many good things for the city. Ultimately, the question for many people will be whether the good will overshadow the bad....
I do recall the city looking very prosperous under his reign.

Brown Alumni Magazine - Buddy

More on his accomplishments:
http://www.buddycianci.com/n_images/...ddy_bio_v2.pdf

Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,605,158 times
Buddy ran the city out of his back pocket. He was indeed a good mayor,
ran a much better police department than his predecessors (my cousin
was chief). Accomplishments aside, although there were many, he was
"corrupt" in the technical sense of the word. Perks and special treatment
were handed out to his friends, obstacles were set up against his opponents.
The man's ego was very high. My father referred to him as a "sociopath",
semi-laughably. I knew a guy who had the same snow dealer as him.
If you wanted to be a fireman, $5k donation to Friends of Cianci helped
move that along.

Last edited by Snowball7; 09-17-2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,462,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Here's a good overview of Buddy. He was a mafia style politician but he made the trains run on time and did many good things for the city. Ultimately, the question for many people will be whether the good will overshadow the bad....
I do recall the city looking very prosperous under his reign.

Brown Alumni Magazine - Buddy

More on his accomplishments:
http://www.buddycianci.com/n_images/...ddy_bio_v2.pdf
I recall that there were more than a few articles in the NY Times during the 80s about Providence (or should I say Cianci's Providence) and they all spoke well of his accomplishments.

I love this, as quoted in the article you linked to:

Quote:
But the bad Buddy was never far beneath the surface. Cianci remembered slights from years ago, raged against his critics, and was openly vindictive. When the posh University Club tried to reopen after a $1 million renovation, Cianci denied it a permit to do so, reminding club officials that years earlier they'd rejected his bid for membership. "The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today," he shouted at the club's directors.
LOL!

Sadly, one legacy didn't last:

Quote:
Buddy Cianci’s legacy has forever been woven into the tapestry of Providence’s history. He has often said that his greatest accomplishment is more than fixing crumbling sidewalks or moving rivers, his greatest accomplishment is the raising the self-esteem of the City of Providence.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,568,205 times
Here is Buddy's website.

http://www.buddycianci.com/index.html

He is also primarily responsible for the planning and implementation of the huge project of moving the Providence River back to its original waterway in Providence, and the creation of Waterplace Park. At the opening Buddy and his then wife, Sheila, cruised the Waterplace Park in a small motor boat before a huge crowd that gathered for the opening among cheers and maybe some sneers. But he was a big hero for that project and several others.

He had a beautiful home on Benefit St. on the East Side.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 09-17-2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Added "boat"

Old 09-17-2013, 03:06 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,718,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I recently finished reading "The Prince of Providence" by Mike Stanton, and came away pretty intrigued by Cianci. I thin a shortcoming of the book was that it didn't explore Cianci's contributions to the city. From what friends and acquaintances tell me, he was a real player in the development of this city. I know nothing about the former mayor's accomplishments, so I would really enjoy reading posts about the Cianci years and how he changed this great city.
As one of the thousands of people who directly or indirectly worked for Mayor Cianci over the years, I can say no mayor promoted a city with more vigor than he did. Unfortunately, promotion isn't everything. His leadership style was absolutely personal, not professional. Employee selection was rarely made on merit, which worked to Providence's detriment as well as the mayor's. He practiced politics at it's most base level. Seldom letting integrity influence decisions, if a gain were to be had.

Having said that, no question he did move rivers, laid out lofty plans for 3 cities. He made the general citizenry feel good about their city's future. Unfortunately, the man behind the curtain was discovered. Nobody is all good or all bad and neither was Mayor Cianci. His legacy will be a mixture of both.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:07 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,605,158 times
I remember when it was reported that the police had a suicide call
-someone in their apt on Federal Hill was going to kill himself.
Buddy got wind of it, was nearby, told his driver to take him to
the guy's house.. a surprise visit from the mayor.
He talked the man out of committing suicide. A total stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island