Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM

37 posts, read 90,420 times

Advertisements

I'm having the most difficult time finding a place to live in Rhode Island. On-Campus and off-campus housing is full and there's a long waiting list to the point where I won't get in. I'm really tired of cities and unsafe areas, since I've lived in cities most my life, so I'm looking for anywhere but Providence (especially East Providence and Federal Hill). It would be great to find a place in central Rhode Island or by the south shores or east shores. I can't afford anything more than 700$ a month. I've tried going on Craigslist, but I've encountered scams as landlords already and really creepy people for roommates. The biggest dilemma is I live about 17 hours away from Rhode Island and I know no one in New England. So, I need to find a place online without touring it. I would consider New London area in Connecticut and and Fall River, Bedford area Massachusetts, if housing was significantly cheaper, because I don't have too many classes to commute to for URI. If someone can help me find safe, reliable housing in a quiet area, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Come here and stay in an extended suite first for a few weeks while looking in person for a place. Securing apts sight unseen is a recipe for disaster.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
The places you're naming are ridiculously far from URI's Kingston campus. Have you looked in Kingston, W. Kinston, Wakefield, Peacedale, Biscuit City (all villages in South Kingstown), or Narragansett, including Bonnet Shores; N. Kingstown is also quite doable - look at the villages of Wickford, Hamilton, Saunderstown, Slocum, Allentown, Davisville, Quidnessett, Lafayette, Belleville; and even Charlestown and Exeter would be ok. Look for the 10 month rentals. You might also contact a realtor.

But definitely pay attention to Hollytree and find an extended stay hotel - you might get good rates in September at some of the hotels in Narragansett.

The Rte 108 bus from Kingston to Narragansett is referred to as "on the line" by students and locals because it is easy to get to/from campus.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:23 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
Fall River and New Bedford are both cities with high unemployment and industrial areas. They are also quite far from URI.

$700 a month is on the low side for a suburban rental. You'll probably need to share.

You can also try some of the online RI newspapers for listings.

Much of the cheap rental properties in the state are in rather poor condition. I think a share house in Bonnet Shores would probably be your best bet.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 PM

308 posts, read 518,003 times
I posted in another topic, and I don't know the rules, but a family member of mine owns the New England Group---they have professionals who work with rentals and can be a source to help you look at some places when you visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island