Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times

Advertisements

Reminiscing with one of my buddy's about our childhood in Warwick and we were talking about the Midland Mall.....I could have sworn that my dad had taken me to a restaurant in Sears or maybe a cafeteria in the mall occasionally. He says my memory is starting to go. We also had a another place we hit, it was Thursday nights at Ho -Jo's across from Apex for all you can eat clam strips.

Anyone else remember a sit down restaurant at Midland Mall, or am I losing brain cells?

I just barely recall a York Steakhouse at Warwick Mall I think.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 09-03-2012 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times
When I was a teenager back in the 80s, The Rhode Island Mall was the place to be. They changed the name from Midland Mall to Rhode Island Mall back around '85 I think. I do remember a sit down restaurant being downstairs on the lower level but can't remember the name. I do remember York Steak House, and ate there many times. Remember the pet store on the lower level and Spencers upstairs? I never was much for shopping, but we went there all the time because the girls were there! The mall, DG's arcase, or Rocky Point. Ah, the old days! The mall is a ghost town now, having lost the retail wars to Warwick Mall and other area malls. Somebody posted this on Youtube - pretty sad actually.

Final walk through at the Rhode Island Mall- Warwick, RI (P - YouTube

Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Reminiscing with one of my buddy's about our childhood in Warwick and we were talking about the Midland Mall.....I could have sworn that my dad had taken me to a restaurant in Sears or maybe a cafeteria in the mall occasionally. He says my memory is starting to go. We also had a another place we hit, it was Thursday nights at Ho -Jo's across from Apex for all you can eat clam strips.

Anyone else remember a sit down restaurant at Midland Mall, or am I losing brain cells?

I just barely recall a York Steakhouse at Warwick Mall I think.
I think there was a restaurant called the Barnsider at Midland Mall. And then there was a smaller restaurant almost like a lucheonette near the same entrance.

On a side note, if you will, can we come up with all the Ho-Jo's location in Rhode Island and nearby Mass? There was one where Bugaboo Creek used to be in Warwick, Allens Ave in Providence, where Comfort Inn is now in Pawtucket, where the CVS is at Hartford and Atwood in Johnston, across from The Super Stop and Shop on Route 5, where else?

Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM

I still keep thinking there was a cafeteria in Midland but what do I know I do remember the pet store down stairs near Sears....Doctors Pet Store maybe? I only remember the other Ho Jo as the one in Johnston.

Still return to RI quite often as my wife and girls spend the summer with family, and driving around Warwick really blows my mind......Post Road in Greenwood used to be so vibrant, grocery store, shoe store and the first McDonalds I ever went to was there and that was where we all hangout during HS.

Bald Hill Road is crazy busy....still miss RI tremendously but as the saying goes, nothing ever remains the same

Neat video find.....when Midland Mall opened it was really a big deal for us, before that we went to Garden City or I think a store called the Outlet in downtown Providence. I had read about forcing the remaining stores out a few years ago such a waste of a huge building.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
There was also a Newport Creamery on the second level.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
I think there was a restaurant called the Barnsider at Midland Mall.
That's it, the Barnsider! I just couldn't remember that, thank you!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I remember the Barnsider well - they had a cheese/beer spread for crackers - delicious.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the input...I am still drawing a blank on Barnsiders though. As much time as I spent at that mall my memories are fading.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
That's it, the Barnsider! I just couldn't remember that, thank you!
they opened another Barnsider off of South Main Street in Providence. It was one of my favorites, but it closed a couple of years ago.

to JBtwinz, the building you are thinking about in downtown is the Arcade, not The Outlet which closed in the mid 70's and the building was lost to a fire a few years later. It is now a campus of Johnson and Wales. The Outlet Co. was also in Garden City. The Arcade is in the process of reopening and inviting former tenants back. The upper floors will be rental living space.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
oh yeah, I used to go to Newport Creamery at Midland Mall / RI Mall all the time.
Last time was around 2000. Sbarro was there also, on a wing.
It's a shame what Wal Mart did to that place. That mall was far more popular
than Warwick Mall before it got wiped out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island