Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 05:27 PM

18 posts, read 44,001 times

Advertisements

I m totally lost when it comes to this sudden relocation.

Barrington and east greenwich. How is the crime rate and schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 07:24 PM

45 posts, read 130,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I'm very familiar with Hasbro, which is on Newport Ave in Pawt.
A really easy commute would be from Attleboro or South Attleboro.
You could do Seekonk as someone pointed out.

Plenty of Hasbro executives have chosen Barrington and East Greenwich, while upscale, don't exactly give you the nicest commute every day.

Cheers,

Mikey

I agree. I know exactly where you would be working. you could probably find something decent in that area but Attleboro and South Attleboro are great commutes for this location. You can take back roads or the highway whatever you prefer. Keep in mind that even though the public schools are not the greatest, there are some nice private schools if you can afford them. The middle years 6th to 8th grade is not too bad but high school can get pretty pricy. Also there are really nice areas in Seekonk. I would do yahoo map directions from one Hasbro to all of these places, and that would give you a pretty good idea on the commute. Good luck

Old 11-03-2007, 07:59 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
I don't think crime would be a big issue.... and the schools in both communities are good (even though Barrington has had it's share of teenage drinking and driving).

The issue for many people is those communities are expensive.... so bring lots of money (Home prices/Taxes) if your planning to live there.

Good Luck,

Mikey

Old 11-04-2007, 08:45 AM

Im not sure what is the price range for private schools.I have 2 schooling kids.

I was looking in pawtucket, cranston, barrington,seekonk but have totally no idea.... how do i tell whether the neighbourhood is good for raising a family...

Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
Having lived in R.I all my life, I can only give my own opinions... others may see things differently.

Areas:

Pawtucket: I wouldn't live there, although some areas might be "okay", overall Pawt. is an area I'd avoid. Schools aren't good, and having worked there myself for the past several years, I'd tell you crime is a major issue....and it's not getting better.

Cranston: Splits into two sections... Cranston East (which is not as nice as it once was) and Cranston West (which does have very nice areas to raise a family). I'd check out this plus Scituate, Coventry, etc, as areas you could use public education and feel good about raising a family.

Barrington: Nice areas, good schools, pricey. Check for yourself.

Seekonk: Nice areas also. Not up on Prices of homes in Mass. Check it out as well.

I'm no expert on private school costs but a rough guess would be:
LaSalle Academy.... around $6-7 K per year
Wheeler/Lincoln School in Prov.....around $15-20 K per year. (Yikes!)

Mikey

Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 PM

thats the problem..private school for 3 kids is definitely something we couldnt afford..

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM

688 posts, read 2,135,144 times
Give us an estimate of the budget you've got for housing/schooling etc and we can probably give you better advice. Right now everybody's guessing more or less.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,601 times
I just moved to the Eden Park neighborhood in Cranston from Fairfield County CT. -with 4kids:12, 10, 8 AND one which I just had this Sept. its a pretty scary thing to do when u have no clue where ur moving to. I did a lot of research and found this site to be the best in REAL information... We've been here 2+ months and are loving it.
I read everything I could about the cities I was interested in and made notes, (what to stay away from, ect.) then I narrowed it down by what we were looking to spend on a home.
I find the schools to be pretty descent. everyone is super friendly. I had read a few different times that Rhode Islanders are mean to outsiders, but that couldnt be furthest from the truth. We are so happy with the quality of life here. The kids love school. Best thing to do is spend a day in the area ur interested in, look at homes, apts, whatever -but schedule ur appts with the realtors representing the property. This gives u the opp. to talk to lots of different people about things like school and location. If ur far away, spend the night in a local hotel and approach people u encounter.. You'll find that mostly everyone is pretty genuine and willing to help. I drove up here in the summer and sat down with the principal for about an hour, got a tour of the school w the kids and got some invaluable information from him about the areas in Cranston, ect. And that was my icing on the cake!
Cranston to Fairfield County CT (by the Westchester County,NY border) is 2 hours. I dont know where in NJ u are, but I would assume that it would be at least 3+ hours. Newark was about 1.5hrs from where I was in CT...
hope that helps!!

Good luck =)

Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 8,601 times
Forgot to mention -Eden Park seems to be a pretty family oriented area, to say the least. I see nothing but moms/dads walking down the street w strollers, people walking their dogs, kids riding their bikes up and down the street.
Again- Ive only been here 2+ months, and these are by no means expert opinions, just my own observations as an over-protective mom of 4.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 PM

dcas

would you mind sharing more about your 'research'?As I sent you a PM but you probably didnt get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island