Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,547 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I've been looking through the threads about moving to Providence, but wanted to post to get some feedback on the areas I'm looking at. Currently, my girlfriend and I are looking at apartments both in and around the city. We are supposed to see one on Pembroke St in the Elmhurst neighborhood, one on Melrose in the Elmwood area, and have also looked in/around Federal Hill but haven't seen anything great yet. We are also looking in Johnston and Smithfield, as I'll be working in Smithfield. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Trying to stay away from any rough areas, especially as both of us will be working odd hours and may be coming back later in the evening. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 02:24 PM

171 posts, read 308,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcam06 View Post
Hey all, I've been looking through the threads about moving to Providence, but wanted to post to get some feedback on the areas I'm looking at. Currently, my girlfriend and I are looking at apartments both in and around the city. We are supposed to see one on Pembroke St in the Elmhurst neighborhood, one on Melrose in the Elmwood area, and have also looked in/around Federal Hill but haven't seen anything great yet. We are also looking in Johnston and Smithfield, as I'll be working in Smithfield. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Trying to stay away from any rough areas, especially as both of us will be working odd hours and may be coming back later in the evening. Thanks!

We have some great nabes on the East Side of Providence you should also check out. If you go to Zillow.com, type in the following search terms:

Hope Providence, RI
College Hill Providence, RI
Wayland Providence, RI
Fox Point Providence, RI

Lots of rentals available, hopefully within your budget.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 PM

50 posts, read 61,965 times
Good Ares: East Side, Fox Point, College Hill, Wayland, Hope, Parts of Smith Hill, Silver Lake, and Federal Hill (mostly for the restaurants ) Bad Areas: South Providence, Olnyville, most of Elmwood, Chad Brown and parts of the West end. Overall even in the "bad areas" you can find an affordable living space and not have a problem as long as you keep to yourself you should be fine In this city. Also the good areas can only be described in one word...amazing. It is a small size city with a big city feel and is very close to Boston and NYC. Hope all goes well.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:18 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI_Host City Crossroads View Post

It is a small size city with a big city feel and is very close to Boston and NYC. Hope all goes well.
It's worth noting the due to the proximity to Boston, of which Providence is part of that combine statistical area (CSA), also known as metropolitan areas, Providence is within the 6th largest CSA in the nation with aggregate population of 7,991,371 people. That's larger than Dallas, Philly or Miami, which was news to me until I researched it.

So I'd agree, while it's not an especially large city, it does have a flavor of a larger city.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
It's worth noting the due to the proximity to Boston, of which Providence is part of that combine statistical area (CSA), also known as metropolitan areas, Providence is within the 6th largest CSA in the nation with aggregate population of 7,991,371 people. That's larger than Dallas, Philly or Miami, which was news to me until I researched it.

So I'd agree, while it's not an especially large city, it does have a flavor of a larger city.
Understandable and believable. This was somewhat news to myself as well and is an interesting fact for population purposes. I stand corrected. Im glad someone else understands the big city feel of Providence as well. Shows people are posting Legitimate information towards the OP and from people who actually live here. Back to the OP also there are some great suburbs such as Cranston, Warwick, Coventry, and Pawtucket which have affordable safe housing and are only minuets away from Providence and all of the benefits of a city.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Understandable and believable. This was somewhat news to myself as well and is an interesting fact for population purposes. I stand corrected. Im glad someone else understands the big city feel of Providence as well. Shows people are posting Legitimate information towards the OP and from people who actually live here. Back to the OP also there are some great suburbs such as Cranston, Warwick, Coventry, and Pawtucket which have affordable safe housing and are only minuets away from Providence and all of the benefits of a city.

I sort of disagree. It's like NYC and Manhattan -- the only relevant part of NYC is Manhattan, the rest are "the outer boroughs." Same thing with Providence: there's Providence, then there's the rest of the state. Indeed, I'd say that Providence is unique from the rest of the state in very important ways.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I sort of disagree. It's like NYC and Manhattan -- the only relevant part of NYC is Manhattan, the rest are "the outer boroughs." Same thing with Providence: there's Providence, then there's the rest of the state. Indeed, I'd say that Providence is unique from the rest of the state in very important ways.
Yes, the State is very consistent with its long name "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations". Its almost like the entire state is one big city. Sort of disagree in a way because Rhode Island suburbs have a lot to offer and relieve some of the stress from the more urban Providence. Lots of attractions lie on the outskirts but with that said Providence is the only city in Rhode Island that is not considered a suburb. I conclude that is the main reason why Providence slightly has a big city feel for its population and size. Clever comparison with NYC and its boroughs I must say.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Quote:
Yes, the State is very consistent with its long name "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations". Its almost like the entire state is one big city.
I'd have to differ with you here. Actually half the state is rural. Go out to Burrillville or Hopkinton or somewhere like that and you'd never know Providence was so close. East Bay and Newport also have very different feels. That's one of the many things I love about this state: You;ve got the countryside, the beaches, and city life so close to each other and they all are high quality.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I'd have to differ with you here. Actually half the state is rural. Go out to Burrillville or Hopkinton or somewhere like that and you'd never know Providence was so close. East Bay and Newport also have very different feels. That's one of the many things I love about this state: You;ve got the countryside, the beaches, and city life so close to each other and they all are high quality.
You're right. I went to Hopkinton and it felt like I was in Iowa. Soon as I heard the banjo music I was out of there. Scary people.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
I guarantee you the people there are a tad different my friend haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island