Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 AM

9,291 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

They just come on here to diss RI- even when NO ONE has asserted that property taxes here are low!!! NO ONE is saying that RI has a LOW cost of living (even though that's off topic for this thread). The only "dissent" was in how much or in the fact that RI -just possibly- might offer things that other states don't. But that "logic" is far too subtle for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
They just come on here to diss RI- even when NO ONE has asserted that property taxes here are low!!! NO ONE is saying that RI has a LOW cost of living (even though that's off topic for this thread). The only "dissent" was in how much or in the fact that RI -just possibly- might offer things that other states don't. But that "logic" is far too subtle for them.
It's unfortunate that a picture of the defaced mural was used as some sort of evidence. I don't exactly know what kind of "evidence" it's supposed to infer: is it that PVD isn't worthy of "nice things," like outdoor art? Or that, somehow, Providence folk are responsible for the vandalism of one or two punks? Or is it something else -- I don't know. But some nefarious inference is made by posting that picture, and I don't like it one bit.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I fail to see how this topic was started for the sole purpose of "dissing" Rhode Island.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
It's unfortunate that a picture of the defaced mural was used as some sort of evidence. I don't exactly know what kind of "evidence" it's supposed to infer: is it that PVD isn't worthy of "nice things," like outdoor art? Or that, somehow, Providence folk are responsible for the vandalism of one or two punks? Or is it something else -- I don't know. But some nefarious inference is made by posting that picture, and I don't like it one bit.
Actually that mural is solid proof that there is nothing nice about Rhode Island. You should visit Manchester, NH! A much prettier town. (Actually one of the ugliest, forlorn places I've had the misfortune of traveling to in New England....and that includes Worcester!)

I got your diss right here....

Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM

9,291 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I fail to see how this topic was started for the sole purpose of "dissing" Rhode Island.

Why don't you at least read through the whole thread to see who I am talking about?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Actually that mural is solid proof that there is nothing nice about Rhode Island. You should visit Manchester, NH! A much prettier town. (Actually one of the ugliest, forlorn places I've had the misfortune of traveling to in New England....and that includes Worcester!)

I got your diss right here....
I dunno.. Worcester probably tops my list of worst places to live in New England (I was fortunate enough to live in Boylston, but it was close enough). I would put it right up there with Holyoke, Springfield, Lowell/Lawrence, and much of Fall River. I never found Manchester all that bad. I lived in Dover, NH and used to travel there for work quite a bit. Maybe I never had a chance to explore it to see the full extent of its torridness.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
I doubt Manchester is bad for crime, but driving through it sure seemed like a dump.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yes you have to put it in perspective. In NH you pay just over $400 more in property taxes yet save probably 10X that in having no state income, sales or car taxes. So in NH's case I would not so much mind the extra property taxes.

Would it be tough to go without those extra amenities? Sure, especially this:

Add to that the trash strewn along every main road, the weeds, and the potholes.

RIers are getting raped.

But then again don't try to argue any kind of logic on this forum, it's been tried without much success.
You say this massnative71 as if Mass is somehow a bargain in comparison to RI? MA is very expensive too, look at the taxes throughout the Boston metro area; Brookline, Cambridge, Weston, Wellesley, Newton, Needham, Watertown, Westwood, Lexington, Burlington, etc, they are all extremely high, and that area does not have a lot of what RI has. For example, I have a friend that lives in Brookline, who lives in a 950 sf ft dump, and pays about $8500 in annual property taxes, after any applicable deductions, talk about rip off. Almost all those Boston communities spend a fortune on their school systems. Cops make close to 100K a year, or more, teachers with a few years senority are probably close to that as well. But one thing about the Boston metro area, is they don't have a lot of the variety of restaurants and entertainment that RI has. A lot of the chain restaurants too, such as Olive Garden, Bertucci's, etc many can't survive in the Boston area because it is so expensive. We have those restaurants, plus much better restaurants on Federal Hill, and throughout the city. If one want's to save money, Chelos, Uncle Tony's and Greggs offer superior value. There aren't as many choices in the Boston area, particularly ones that are a bargain. And to many, NH is downright boring.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
You say this massnative71 as if Mass is somehow a bargain in comparison to RI? MA is very expensive too, look at the taxes throughout the Boston metro area; Brookline, Cambridge, Weston, Wellesley, Newton, Needham, Watertown, Westwood, Lexington, Burlington, etc, they are all extremely high, and that area does not have a lot of what RI has. For example, I have a friend that lives in Brookline, who lives in a 950 sf ft dump, and pays about $8500 in annual property taxes, after any applicable deductions, talk about rip off. Almost all those Boston communities spend a fortune on their school systems. Cops make close to 100K a year, or more, teachers with a few years senority are probably close to that as well. But one thing about the Boston metro area, is they don't have a lot of the variety of restaurants and entertainment that RI has. A lot of the chain restaurants too, such as Olive Garden, Bertucci's, etc many can't survive in the Boston area because it is so expensive. We have those restaurants, plus much better restaurants on Federal Hill, and throughout the city. If one want's to save money, Chelos, Uncle Tony's and Greggs offer superior value. There aren't as many choices in the Boston area, particularly ones that are a bargain. And to many, NH is downright boring.
First of all I didn't say a word about Mass, the topic of the moment was a comparison of taxes between RI and NH. With that said, reading comprehension was never a strongpoint around here.

But now that you bring MA into the conversation, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about with any of the points you bring up. I don't know ANYONE in MA paying $8500 in property taxes no matter what size of house. Those towns you mention are among the more underwhelming parts of the state, but things they do offer are top notch schools and a high quality of life (yes they do spend a lot on education). Save for maybe Barrington, E. Greenwich, and a few others; the RI schools don't come anywhere close to the educational achievement levels of much of MA. And the most out there thing you suggest is of the Boston area lacking in entertainment and restaurants. Did I read that correctly??? Have you not been to the N. End? Chain restaurants that can't survive? Bertucci's is a Boston based chain!!! There are Olive Gardens here as well. But who really needs those anyway with all the local offerings available. There are plenty of bargains in the Boston area, you just apparently don't know where to look.

I do not find NH boring at all, it has much to offer just like RI. Where RI beats it in the coastal aspect, NH makes up for it with its mountains, lakes and ruralness.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I dunno.. Worcester probably tops my list of worst places to live in New England (I was fortunate enough to live in Boylston, but it was close enough). I would put it right up there with Holyoke, Springfield, Lowell/Lawrence, and much of Fall River. I never found Manchester all that bad. I lived in Dover, NH and used to travel there for work quite a bit. Maybe I never had a chance to explore it to see the full extent of its torridness.
Manchester is bad for NH, but is nothing compared to Lawrence, Lowell, Worcester, Brockton, Providence, Pawtucket, Woonsocket, etc. Up there they act like it's Tijuana, but a true derelict city they do not know. They are blessed by not having the self-defeating welfare generosity of MA and RI. But I guess it has taken a turn for the worse, just as Nashua has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island