Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 PM

12 posts, read 63,005 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to east greenwich with my wife..
and we need some help

1. my wife is a paralegal. which are the closest towns with law firms?
2. nice areas to rent?
3. most important how is east greenwich?
any advice would be appreciated.
thnks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 05:26 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
Most people like East Greenwich quite a bit. It has a nice little main st area with shops and restaurants.

It's a rather expensive area to live, however and housing prices are above the median for the state, so I would guess that rents are not going to be cheap either.

As far as paralegal work, I would think most of that would be found in Providence.
It's can be an awful commute with traffic tie-ups on I95 north, but lots of people have to do it.

Personally, I did that commute for over 20 years (it sucks..period) but what I did was either leave really early or wait till after 9:00 am and you can get through okay most days.

Mikey

Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 PM

12 posts, read 63,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Most people like East Greenwich quite a bit. It has a nice little main st area with shops and restaurants.

It's a rather expensive area to live, however and housing prices are above the median for the state, so I would guess that rents are not going to be cheap either.

As far as paralegal work, I would think most of that would be found in Providence.
It's can be an awful commute with traffic tie-ups on I95 north, but lots of people have to do it.

Personally, I did that commute for over 20 years (it sucks..period) but what I did was either leave really early or wait till after 9:00 am and you can get through okay most days.

Mikey

How far is the commute to providence?
is it only done by driving or is there a rail system?

Old 11-17-2007, 04:31 PM

From parts of East Greenwich to Providence is about 25 miles.

Traffic can start to back up anywhere on Rte4 and particularly I95 as you get into Warwick, Cranston, and Providence.

Winter and generally anytime it rains or snows, traffic get backed up.

There is no rail service unless you go down to Kingston, which wouldn't make any sense.

If you decide to do it, just try to go on off times like early am or after 9:00am is your best bet.

Mikey

Old 11-17-2007, 09:47 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Don't let them scare you. Rhode Island/ Providence rush hour is a breeze compared to any real city. Half the people in Rhode Island commute to jobs in Massachusetts and Connecticut so there is an equal rush to get out of Providence which makes it easier to get in. From East Greenwich it might take 15 to 20 minutes to Providence and there are multiple ways to get there. The big "rush" hour in Providence shouldn't necessitate taking any more than and extra 10 minutes to get where you are going. It is nothing like in some cities where you need to allow 2- 3 times as much time as it would normally take during non-rush hour.

Also there are law firms in every town in the state. Just go to superpages.com and look up "lawyers" and you'll find them all listed or check the RI Bar Assn.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:48 AM

688 posts, read 2,135,144 times
I disagree with above statement. Rush hour traffic in the Providence area can be quite a headache indeed and will certainly not be navigated in '10' extra minutes.

Here a link to an article from the Projo, shedding some light about traffic issues.

Iway opening slows traffic | Rhode Island news | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

And if you really want to get an idea about traffic, go to this site and check the live traffic updates during rushhour.

Eyewitness News WPRI / FOX Providence - Providence, Rhode Island News, Weather, Traffic and Sports | Live JamCam Traffic (http://www.eyewitnessnewstv.com/Global/link.asp?L=173264&nav=menu20_5 - broken link)

Last edited by GermanSpy; 11-18-2007 at 12:56 AM..

Old 11-18-2007, 07:16 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1907 View Post
How far is the commute to providence?
is it only done by driving or is there a rail system?
In a perfect situation with immediate access to I-95 the commute would be 15 minutes to down city Providence. Add the time to get to I-95 and then find a parking space, with down city traffic, and the commute quickly becomes 35 minutes. And then there is never a perfect situation on I-95, so add another 15-30 minutes. The I-95 ride is only about 10 miles at most.

Commuter railroad service will be available in two years!!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
emilybh is right: what Rhode Islanders consider "awful" with regards to traffic is really quite mild in the grand scheme of things. The parochialism of people here is just mind-numbing at times.

That said, the commute from E. Greenwich ("EG") to downtown Prov. is probably the worst in the state. But that means that it likely takes 30-40 minutes to get from E. Greenwich to downtown Providence during the height of morning rush hour (a little less in the afternoon.). It is eminently doable.

EG is one of the most desirable communities in the state. It has the second-highest median household income of all towns in RI (Barrington is tops). EG and Barrington also have the best school systems in the state. You can't do much better than EG in Rhode Island--it's a very good place to be.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:41 AM

I love how people who may have only been in RI a short time are quick to spread their opinions as facts.
Did you ever stop to think that Rhode Islanders may be "parochial" for a reason?

I couldn't care less how bad traffic is in NYC, Los Angeles, or Hong Kong for that matter..... when I'm stuck in traffic on I95 --and I have been hundreds (actually probably thousands) of times-- I'm still upset.

I've had many co-workers who quit their job because they just couldn't face that commute, and lots of others who will tell you they just won't do it period.

If I were thinking of moving into the area, I'd talk with dozens of people and get as many perspectives as I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island