Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 06:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,644 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my wife and I are temporarily relocated to RI for 3-6 months. I would be working in Woonsocket although we would like to find a place near the water/Bay areas. We are in are earlier 30s and no kids, so education is not a factor for us. I am looking for any advice/suggestions on places to live that are:

- By the water
- Able to walk to-from shops would be nice
- Safe

We would be looking for fully furnished temporary/vacation housing for this period. Is that realistic to find by the water/Bay areas? For price range, I would like to keep it under $3000/month.

Also, how is the traffic between Woonsocket and the water/Bay areas? Would that be a bad commute?

I appreciate any advice and feedback.

- Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:32 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokivog View Post
Hi there, my wife and I are temporarily relocated to RI for 3-6 months. I would be working in Woonsocket although we would like to find a place near the water/Bay areas. We are in are earlier 30s and no kids, so education is not a factor for us. I am looking for any advice/suggestions on places to live that are:

- By the water
- Able to walk to-from shops would be nice
- Safe

We would be looking for fully furnished temporary/vacation housing for this period. Is that realistic to find by the water/Bay areas? For price range, I would like to keep it under $3000/month.

Also, how is the traffic between Woonsocket and the water/Bay areas? Would that be a bad commute?

I appreciate any advice and feedback.

- Dave

A very long and high traffic commute especially from May through October. Figure at least an hour each way. You are going from one end of the state to the other, and not in a straight line. Unless you can find something in Bristol RI which is upper Narragansett Bay, or Barrington RI. Check with some rental agencies who deal with vacation rentals. Your employee HR Dept. should also be able to guide you. Best advice would be to locate halfway between Woon. and the beach areas.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:35 AM

9,299 posts, read 14,916,355 times
You could look in Bristol, Barrington, or Wickford. Finding a short term furnished rental will be very difficult but not impossible- your budget is good. Your commute will vary between 30-45 minutes depending on time of day. You might contact some realtors and see what rentals they have.

You could make it easy on yourself by giving up the water by just looking in Lincoln or other locations closer to Woonsocket.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,644 times
QuilterChick, Hollytree, thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

This is an independent contract opportunity so unfortunately I'm not in touch with their HR. Since this is only short term and we've always wanted to live by the water, this might be our best opportunity to do so, so I'm willing to make the commute. How is the Cranston, Warwick areas?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 AM

9,299 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Warwick Neck would be the place to look in for water views or Pawtuxet Village.
Cranston, not sure if there might be lake views.

Honestly, finding temp furnished rentals is going to be so hard to begin with your actual options may be extremely limited...

Old 03-07-2014, 04:04 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Pawtuxet Village could be a good location ( short jaunt to 95 north to 146), Warwick can take lots of time getting in and out of, especially near the water. You have do have a good budget, so once you make the find, you'll be set.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
lokivog, you'd have to compare for yourself the areas within walking distance to water. There are so many, but they vary in aspects.. is your idea of walking to water to walk to a beach ? or does a beach not matter, and shops matter more ?
pull up a map of all the beaches surrounding the Narragansett Bay, and you'll see what I mean. Down south would be too far a commute to Woonsocket (at least by RI standards). The most bang for your buck will be in Warwick. But your tastes will determine everything. You might for example like Goddard Park or Buttonwoods but not like Conimicut or Oakland Beach. There are also 3 beaches along the East Bay. Bristol, Barrington and Warren. In general the East Bay is more expensive than West Bay. There are many rentable shanties
in Warwick, they are seasonal residences, some with private beach rights.
If you don't plan on coming here to compare East Bay vs West Bay then call a
real estate broker from the area to help you, don't go blind, $3k/mo is very much on
the high-end here. Sounds like you'll be able to save a lot of $ if you choose to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island