Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:12 AM

15 posts, read 27,354 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone has advice for me. A few things to consider:

1. I long to live in a "walking" city, where I can walk around the corner or down the street and have many small local businesses, supermarkets, laundromats, public transportation, perhaps movie theaters and the like and have other people out walking too, making it a safe place to be! Where in RI, or what neighborhoods in or around Providence would be the best in this regard?

2. I need to find a place that would cost between $500 to a maximum of $800/mo. I have seen places that offer free heat and/or electric on Craigslist in or around Providence. Are these a scam or in bad neighborhoods? Any advice on these? Since I am 2000 miles away I can't really check for myself and I'm sure if I asked these people they'd just tell me it's peachy.

Bear in mind I used to live in the northeast Bronx for most of my life, so what you consider a bad neighborhood might be downright charming to me.

3. I noticed people are saying jobs are hard to come by. What is the minimum wage there and let's say for example, if I got a job at a Walmart, if you guys even have them, how far would that be from Providence, generally, counting traffic and all that? What are the more abundant jobs in Providence? I read a lot about teachers losing jobs but what else is around? What about government jobs... is there a very long wait for those?

4. I generally find myself attracted to places that have a slightly artsy crowd, maybe a younger, college crowd, plenty of culture and things to do like for instance concerts/clubs, general entertainment I guess. What are the best areas for this and how do they compare in price? Again, my target is $500-$800, ideally a 2 room apartment.

5. Public transportation where I am (in Texas currently) is a joke due to all of the sprawl. I assume RIPTA is better because the state is smaller. How does RIPTA stack up, generally, to NYC buses? In NYC, buses stop practically every other block and make all locations in the city quite available to someone who has no car. I do not drive, so how feasible will living in RI be for me? It's a nightmare where I am currently, so any improvement is welcome.

I know I've asked a lot of questions so I will thank you in advance for any help, guys! I really do appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:26 AM

688 posts, read 2,135,332 times
Quote:
1. I long to live in a "walking" city, where I can walk around the corner or down the street and have many small local businesses, supermarkets, laundromats, public transportation, perhaps movie theaters and the like and have other people out walking too, making it a safe place to be! Where in RI, or what neighborhoods in or around Providence would be the best in this regard?

2. I need to find a place that would cost between $500 to a maximum of $800/mo. I have seen places that offer free heat and/or electric on Craigslist in or around Providence. Are these a scam or in bad neighborhoods? Any advice on these? Since I am 2000 miles away I can't really check for myself and I'm sure if I asked these people they'd just tell me it's peachy.

Bear in mind I used to live in the northeast Bronx for most of my life, so what you consider a bad neighborhood might be downright charming to me.

3. I noticed people are saying jobs are hard to come by. What is the minimum wage there and let's say for example, if I got a job at a Walmart, if you guys even have them, how far would that be from Providence, generally, counting traffic and all that? What are the more abundant jobs in Providence? I read a lot about teachers losing jobs but what else is around? What about government jobs... is there a very long wait for those?

4. I generally find myself attracted to places that have a slightly artsy crowd, maybe a younger, college crowd, plenty of culture and things to do like for instance concerts/clubs, general entertainment I guess. What are the best areas for this and how do they compare in price? Again, my target is $500-$800, ideally a 2 room apartment.

5. Public transportation where I am (in Texas currently) is a joke due to all of the sprawl. I assume RIPTA is better because the state is smaller. How does RIPTA stack up, generally, to NYC buses? In NYC, buses stop practically every other block and make all locations in the city quite available to someone who has no car. I do not drive, so how feasible will living in RI be for me? It's a nightmare where I am currently, so any improvement is welcome.
1. Eastside in Providence is your best bet for that. While you maybe don't have a lot of supermarkets at least you got a few and the Eastside is actually one the few walkable neighborhoods in Providence which does offer lots of amenities.

2. Those places don't have to be scams necessarily. It's hard to say though, kinda need the neighborhood they're in to give you decent information. Again, if you do find a 1 BR on craigslist on the Eastside for 800 dollars (heat included) I'd say you'll be in decent shape. 500 dollars for a 1 bedroom is pretty competitive so I'd think those will be in worse parts of town. And yes, even our toughest neighborhoods won't compare to the Bronx but nevertheless...don't underestimate Providence's bad corners. We got some tough places too. Unfortunately.

3. RI minimum wage should be somewhere around 7.40 an hour. I don't consider that a livable wage in RI. About the Walmarts... we do have those but I honestly don't think there's one right in Providence. I believe the next one is in Warwick (could be wrong there so Walmart shoppers help out here). Warwick is down I95, a couple exits. Traffic's bad in RI from time to time and if you're forced to use public transportation it can take you a while to get there. I'd say that a bus leaving from Downtown Providence will probably get you to the Warwick Mall (Walmart) in about 30 minutes. But that's really a guesstimate. You can check bus routes a little at www.ripta.com .
On abundant jobs...there are no abundant jobs in RI. Your best bet at the moment are jobs in healthcare, insurance and maybe working for the colleges/universities. We've got a very high unemployment rate at the moment so finding work's tough. And forget about getting a government job - this is madness. I mean, Rhode Island. Getting a government job here involves having a cousin of a cousin who knows a friend who's got a grandfather who knows somebody. Extra credit for having lots of vowels in your last name.

4. Again, the East Side. No way though you get a 2 BR for 800 dollars max there unless you're extremely lucky. I do hear though that there's a bit of an emergence amongst artists in Pawtucket which is a neighboring mill town. More affordable than Providence, some neat neighborhoods, some are a bit dicey. Not comparable to the East Side though when it comes to what you asked for in 1.

5. RIPTA is inferior to the NYC transit system. It's an acceptable form of transportation for most of Providence and decent for commuting when you're close to main bus lines. Unfortunately, riding a RIPTA bus carries a bit of a stigma for a lot of Rhode Islanders so you'll usually find a lot of people on the bus who've got no other option. And a couple commuters, of course. RIPTA really fails though when you want to venture out of Providence. Going from Providence to Newport on a RIPTA bus? Better bring a book and lots of time. As long as you stay in Providence though you'll be ok. If you plan to venture out into the rest of Rhode Island...you'll want to make friends with somebody who's got a car.

Good luck.

PS:

Keep in mind when you're looking for a place that heating costs are an issue even though oil/gas are comparatively cheap at the moment again. Heat included isn't really the norm in RI.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:41 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
"If I get a job at Walmart"..... Hope you're trained to get some kind of better job than that! You will not be able to live in a good neighborhood here on a $5-800 budget nor on a Walmart wage. Secure a good job first- then consider a move.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:23 PM

72 posts, read 255,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabcakes View Post
Hi, everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone has advice for me. A few things to consider:

1. I long to live in a "walking" city, where I can walk around the corner or down the street and have many small local businesses, supermarkets, laundromats, public transportation, perhaps movie theaters and the like and have other people out walking too, making it a safe place to be! Where in RI, or what neighborhoods in or around Providence would be the best in this regard? If you don't mind college crowds, the east side of Prov

2. I need to find a place that would cost between $500 to a maximum of $800/mo. Forget the east side of prov. I have seen places that offer free heat and/or electric on Craigslist in or around Providence. Are these a scam or in bad neighborhoods? Most are in some of the rattier areas (and when I say rattier, I mean rats. When I lived in Providence, I would have the rats take the trash to the curb for me. They were big enough and it was their home, anyways.) A better idea for a decent 1 bed apart, especially on the east side without having housemates like in college, is more likely starting at $800. remember, 25% of he residents in the Prov-New bedford area are upside down on their houses. I know people forclosing and moving into apartments, thereby placing more demand and less supply on what is available. Any advice on these? Since I am 2000 miles away I can't really check for myself and I'm sure if I asked these people they'd just tell me it's peachy. Actually, they would probaly say something like "you'ze know wat? I'll make ya a deal you can't refuse. I gotta bridge for you, and at 70% interest to me, it's a steal. Whaddya say?"

Bear in mind I used to live in the northeast Bronx for most of my life, so what you consider a bad neighborhood might be downright charming to me. Then try central Falls. I'm sure you'll feel right at home

3. I noticed people are saying jobs are hard to come by. 2nd highest unemployment rate in the nation. What is the minimum wage there and let's say for example, if I got a job at a Walmart (all taken), if you guys even have them, how far would that be from Providence, generally, counting traffic and all that? What are the more abundant jobs in Providence? I read a lot about teachers losing jobs but what else is around? What about government jobs... is there a very long wait for those? As is always said out here, it's not what you know, but who you know. (I don't count, and it's easy to hide here among all the illegal immigrants.)

4. I generally find myself attracted to places that have a slightly artsy crowd, maybe a younger, college crowd, plenty of culture and things to do like for instance concerts/clubs, general entertainment I guess. What are the best areas for this and how do they compare in price? Again, my target is $500-$800, ideally a 2 room apartment. Now you throw a 2 bed into the mix?.

5. Public transportation where I am (in Texas currently) is a joke due to all of the sprawl. I assume RIPTA is better because the state is smaller. Nope, they are cutting routes and almost broke How does RIPTA stack up, generally, to NYC buses? Generally, you can stack 2 RIPTA buses on each other, but 3.5 in NYC. In NYC, buses stop practically every other block and make all locations in the city quite available to someone who has no car. I do not drive, so how feasible will living in RI be for me? Very easy to walk in Providence. Busses don't stop every block, but if you need to get from one side to the other, they might be able to do it, unless they change the route on you with little or no notice. It's a nightmare where I am currently, so any improvement is welcome. Good, then it will just be a bad dream here.

I know I've asked a lot of questions so I will thank you in advance for any help, guys! I really do appreciate it! Always glad to help. If I've confused you, my best advise is to move somewhere else.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-17-2008 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Toned it down

Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,705,114 times
Default OK, here's my take....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabcakes View Post

1. I long to live in a "walking" city, where I can walk around the corner or down the street and have many small local businesses, supermarkets, laundromats, public transportation, perhaps movie theaters and the like and have other people out walking too, making it a safe place to be! Where in RI, or what neighborhoods in or around Providence would be the best in this regard? Providence could be considered a walking city, but nothing is like Manhattan. Even for a city of approximately 175,000 Providence actually has a pretty small downtown, but it is doable. Local business, supermarkets, laundromats are scattered around. There are 2 artsy movie theaters on the East Side near Brown Univ/RISD, they are the Cable Car cinema and the Avon cinema. The Providence Place Mall is an extremely large mall with a huge movie theater with stadium seating.

2. I need to find a place that would cost between $500 to a maximum of $800/mo. I have seen places that offer free heat and/or electric on Craigslist in or around Providence. Are these a scam or in bad neighborhoods? Any advice on these? Since I am 2000 miles away I can't really check for myself and I'm sure if I asked these people they'd just tell me it's peachy. Your probably not going to find anything less than $700 mo. The one thing about Providence to keep in mind is that areas here change drastically. After living in Providence for 24 years this is how I would rank the neighborhoods in order of desirability:
1. East Side - the most desirable, also most expensive, but stay away from Camp St. Fox Point might be the most affordable in this neighborhood.
2. Elmhurst - 2nd most desirable area, however you'll need to depend a bit more on the bus. Low Crime area!
3. North End - Charles Street area, OK has some decent areas
4. Federal Hill - This is a good choice for one who likes to walk. This is an Italian area, but many of the native Italians have moved to the burbs. This area is around Atwells and Broadway. You might find your price range, but if you have a car, there might be a parking problem here.
5. Mount Pleasant - has some OK areas, but a bit run-down.
6. Manton - very run down - far west side
7. Olneyville - avoid, high crime. depressed
8. Elmwood - avoid, they have tried very hard to renovate this area but it has a long way to go.
9. South Side - Avoid! Even if your from the Bronx and good with a switch blade avoid this area. high crime.

3. I noticed people are saying jobs are hard to come by. What is the minimum wage there and let's say for example, if I got a job at a Walmart, if you guys even have them, how far would that be from Providence, generally, counting traffic and all that? What are the more abundant jobs in Providence? I read a lot about teachers losing jobs but what else is around? What about government jobs... is there a very long wait for those? If I'm not mistaken, I think the minimum wage in TX is something like $5.75 per hr? Here I think its $7.75 per hr, it is about $2 more an hour. There is one Walmart in Providence, and several in the surounding area. We have a lot of malls if you like retail. Also, how do you feel working with sick people? They do higher for CNA's frequently, (certified nursing assistant). We have a budget crisis so govt jobs are out.

4. I generally find myself attracted to places that have a slightly artsy crowd, maybe a younger, college crowd, plenty of culture and things to do like for instance concerts/clubs, general entertainment I guess. What are the best areas for this and how do they compare in price? Again, my target is $500-$800, ideally a 2 room apartment. The east side is a very artsy crowd; very collegiate atmosphere, a lot of coffee shops, a large gay community. If you are a single female, you might want to consider checking ads for people looking for roomates if the East Side is your goal. In the long run you might be happiest there. Not sure what a studio would go for, but they are available.

5. Public transportation where I am (in Texas currently) is a joke due to all of the sprawl. I assume RIPTA is better because the state is smaller. How does RIPTA stack up, generally, to NYC buses? In NYC, buses stop practically every other block and make all locations in the city quite available to someone who has no car. I do not drive, so how feasible will living in RI be for me? It's a nightmare where I am currently, so any improvement is welcome. OK, this is where I differ from the other poster. You specifically stated "buses" (not subways). The small size of Rhode Island does provide a bit of convenience for the transit authority here; you can literally go anywhere in the state on a bus. There is no sprawl here. Providence is a city surrounded by cities (Cranston, Pawtucket, Warwick, East Providence, etc.) The bus schedule within the city limits is very convenient.

I know I've asked a lot of questions so I will thank you in advance for any help, guys! I really do appreciate it!
Don't be discouraged by any previous posts....Anymore ? just send a new thread...

Old 10-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
"If I get a job at Walmart"..... Hope you're trained to get some kind of better job than that! You will not be able to live in a good neighborhood here on a $5-800 budget nor on a Walmart wage. Secure a good job first- then consider a move.
I sure am, but sometimes one just can't find a good job right off the bat and I like to think ahead... a worst case scenario.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
1. Eastside in Providence is your best bet for that. While you maybe don't have a lot of supermarkets at least you got a few and the Eastside is actually one the few walkable neighborhoods in Providence which does offer lots of amenities.
Thank you so much for all the helpful info!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoohaa13 View Post
2nd highest unemployment rate in the nation
Wow, really! I hadn't seen that figure before but that is distressing. Thank you for all the info!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Don't be discouraged by any previous posts....Anymore ? just send a new thread...
Lots of useful info for me here... it sounds like the east side is definitely the best place for me, though places 1 through 5 that you listed sound good too. Thanks so much!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM

257 posts, read 1,335,648 times
Providence is fun for people who are artsy and like to walk. Wickenden, Thayer and Hope Street's are the major artsy retail areas that you'd probly like, and they are all on the East Side. Broadway and Atwells Ave on the west side are also walkable and somewhat artsy, with Atwells being more restaurant-oriented. RIPTA's not bad to get around Providence and into the immediate surrounding suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island