Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 04:17 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times

Advertisements

My family left Massachusetts 30 years ago. I have always missed New England. Could you tell me about Southern Rhode Island? North Kingston and Washington County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
My family left Massachusetts 30 years ago. I have always missed New England. Could you tell me about Southern Rhode Island? North Kingston and Washington County?
Any particular questions not covered on these pages?
//www.city-data.com/city/North-...de-Island.html
//www.city-data.com/county/Wash...County-RI.html

Old 11-21-2013, 05:54 PM

Personal opinions would be nice.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Southern RI is very beautiful and many of the towns and villages have retained their rural character. Coastal areas have some wonderful swimming beaches and are well discovered and visited by tourists. Kingston area has URI, a large & beautiful rural campus. There has been more development- mostly strip and mall shopping- in the past couple of decades and traffic can sometimes be heavy on the main thoroughfares. However, you can still find small quaint village areas for which New Eng is famous.

House prices will vary widely. A "House Hunters" property might easily cost in the 500s. Schools are generally small and local.

Do you have more specific questions?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 AM

Looking for a small walkable town. An area where I won't need to do a lot of driving to get to the ocean or forests but still be close to civilization. I am looking for a slower pace of life but not that slow. I don't have any children so school districts aren't important. As little snow as possible! I would like to be in a region that is easily accessible to other parts of NE. A perk for me was the surpise of finding out that the MTBA is extended to RI. I realize a low cost of living is almost near impossible in the North but that would be a bonus.

Currently I am considering SE Conn and Southern RI. They seem to fit my needs. To sum it up, I am a mid 40s outdoor lovin' hippie looking for a place near the coast to settle down for good.

Advice is appreciated.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Looking for a small walkable town. An area where I won't need to do a lot of driving to get to the ocean or forests but still be close to civilization. I am looking for a slower pace of life but not that slow. I don't have any children so school districts aren't important. As little snow as possible! I would like to be in a region that is easily accessible to other parts of NE. A perk for me was the surpise of finding out that the MTBA is extended to RI. I realize a low cost of living is almost near impossible in the North but that would be a bonus.

Currently I am considering SE Conn and Southern RI. They seem to fit my needs. To sum it up, I am a mid 40s outdoor lovin' hippie looking for a place near the coast to settle down for good.

Advice is appreciated.

Sounds like you would fit right in to either Mystic, CT or Westerly, RI. Both very nice. Especially Mystic which has it's downtown right on the water and very walkable.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM

5,203 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Westerly really fits the bill.....it is a great little small town beach community

Old 11-27-2013, 05:01 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
Looking for a small walkable town. An area where I won't need to do a lot of driving to get to the ocean or forests but still be close to civilization. I am looking for a slower pace of life but not that slow.
I agree that Westerly sounds like a good place for you to look, but you mentioned North Kingstown, so take a look at the Wickford area, it fits perfectly with what you're looking for. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
I always found Westerly to be a tad rundown, especially in the downtown area. I would second Wickford, and would throw Mystic into the consideration.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Much thanks. I have even been searching Richmond/Charleston/South Kingstown. Not sure about Newport. I might want to be closer to the forests for hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island