Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:00 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,715,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
The average age of the city resident is much lower than the average age of the state resident though.

I honestly don't know. I wouldn't put money on either outcome. He could definitely win by force of personality as he has before, or a lot of people who don't even remember him that well might say "What did that crook ever do for the West End or the South side? Nothing."
One thing I can almost guarantee is voters living in all the neighborhoods (except maybe the East Side) will see more of Buddy Cianci than any other candidate running.....lots more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,792,623 times
Does he still hang out at the Biltmore bar? I used to see him there quite often.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:22 AM

9,316 posts, read 14,929,514 times
Not as much for the West side obviously- but not nothing- a rising tide floats all boats as we like to say in the ocean state.
He was the Renaissance mayor who did bring the city out of serious dole drums.

When he was convicted, Cianci was acquitted of 26 of 27 charges, including bribery, extortion, and mail fraud. He was, however, found guilty of a single charge of racketeering conspiracy (running a corrupt criminal enterprise)- presumably the Providence City council .

Old 06-26-2014, 09:27 AM

4,428 posts, read 3,210,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Does he still hang out at the Biltmore bar? I used to see him there quite often.
He used to live at the Biltmore for a while. I don't think he does anymore.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:30 AM

4,428 posts, read 3,210,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Not as much for the West side obviously- but not nothing- a rising tide floats all boats as we like to say in the ocean state.
He was the Renaissance mayor who did bring the city out of serious dole drums.

When he was convicted, Cianci was acquitted of 26 of 27 charges, including bribery, extortion, and mail fraud. He was, however, found guilty of a single charge of racketeering conspiracy (running a corrupt criminal enterprise)- presumably the Providence City council .

And how many people under him were indicted? 30 in his first term alone. But if people are ok with that again, I guess it's true they get the government they deserve.

I just wish he had spent a quarter of the time on the neighborhoods as he did on downtown.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,792,623 times
Quote:
He used to live at the Biltmore for a while. I don't think he does anymore.
Oh, I know.. he's across 95 now. I was just reminiscing.. LOL

Old 06-26-2014, 10:44 AM

9,316 posts, read 14,929,514 times
Quote:
I just wish he had spent a quarter of the time on the neighborhoods as he did on downtown.
Wouldn't this be nice? What do you suggest?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,461,575 times
I've seen pictures of him on projo.com and the man doesn't look well. He seems stooped and frail. Plus his recent bout with cancer, they all raise questions for a man who is not exactly young. I mean, it's tough job and I just wonder if he's up to it.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:50 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,715,277 times
Quote:
And how many people under him were indicted? 30 in his first term alone. But if people are ok with that again, I guess it's true they get the government they deserve.

During Buddy II, I was very active in one of the "up and coming" south side neighborhoods. It practically felt like Cianci lived in our 'hood. He was featured speaker at EVERY community event, announcing city money to the neighborhood for this or that. It was incredible. I knew one of his aides. She said he sometimes scheduled 2 dozen appearances in one day - from noon until midnight - all across the city.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM

23,681 posts, read 18,791,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
considering his history, i'm not sure how much i can trust the "benefiting providence school children" boast on the label.
:d:d:d:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island