Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 29,677 times

Advertisements

I was born, raised, and still reside in Rhode Island. I have been reading lots of very extreme threads about lil' Rhody (extremely positive posts about it or a particular town, and vice versa). So I shall, to the best of my abilities, point out the pros AND cons (all the states have 'em), where to eat, shop, best places for sightseeing, etc. I myself still have yet to see more of the state despite the size, and anyone else can feel free to add to this thread . I will start this off by identifying my pros and cons for the state.

Okay: First off, let's get the damned cons out of the way, shall we?
1.) The infamous taxes. That's all I have to say about that, I don't want to make this one a rant. Just a list. "Infamous taxes" pretty much says it all, folks.
2.) The roads. Okay, so we have the high taxes right? So where do they go? Apparently, not the roads. Potholes, cracks, and loose gravel abound...even on the highways and main roads! If your an expectant mom near your due date and still believe in the old wive's tale that travelling on a bumpy road induces labor, RI is the place to go, by all means! Like I said, the pros and cons list is going to be kept short and sweet, so I continue...
3.) The cost of living. I know some engineers working at the Newport Naval Base saying they don't think they'll ever be able to afford a decent size house...perhaps they were exaggerating, but still the point is...wow. Living on the water as we all know comes with a price.
4.) The job market. Flat as a pancake. Maybe even a crepe!
5.) Rocky Point...no more! Yeah, no amusement parks. Not anymore at least . I miss the Rock and Roll Express at Rocky Point...blasting the best of HJY...hehe, just thought I'd add something more Rhode Islanders would know what I'm talking about...man I feel old...
6.) The makeup of the highways have something to be desired. When you come off a ramp onto the highways, your in a lane, driving along when suddenly, it becomes and exit, and next thing you know, your halfway to New York! By the way, this happens partiularly when you come off 195 West and onto 95 North to Boston near the Providence Place Mall...tourists beware.
7.) I particularly don't find this next (and final) aspect of the cons to be too bad, however most do, esp. if your not from the north, so I shall include it anyway: the weather. Very unpredictable. Don't even bother with watching the forecast...us RI'ers know to watch it at least twice a day if we MUST watch it...but honestly, whatever you seeing it do outside, is what you get. Don't bother with the forecasts, no matter how cute you think Tony Petrarca is or how witty Gary Ley is (I must confess, I enjoy them both)...what you see outside is what you get. Personally I think the oddball weather adds to it's charm, but who said I was normal...
And now the pros:
1.) Scenary! I wake up and am surrounded by mysterious, misty woodlands with white-tailed deer traipsing through my yard at the wee hours of the morn. Look beyond the trees and I can also see the Sakonnet river in all it's glory! The ocean scenary is beyond remarkable. The decidious woodlands and temperate forests (yeah, I'm a nature nerd) add to a whole different scenary as well, and you get the best of both worlds in this place.
2.) The food. Dear gods the food here rocks. Wow. What do you expect from a state that is mainly Italian, Irish, and Portuguese? Rhode Island has the highest percentage of Italians more than any state in the nation, and in the food (amongst other things) it shows. Also, the chourico, linguica, and rice pudding oh my! Lest we not forget the seafood. Clam cakes and chowder. Enough said. You wonder why most of the people here have a bit of meat on them!
3.) Coffee Milk. How could I forget? Delicious Eclipse or Autocrat (I prefer the latter, personally) syrup to put in milk. Or if your like me, on ice cream! It's just soooo good. Better than chocolate milk. The first several years of my life I thought that this stuff was everywhere. I was on a road trip to Florida when I was 7 with my mom and older brother. We stopped in at a Waffle House for breakfast in SC. I ordered a coffe milk and the poor waitress looked at me like I was a mutant!
4.) Diners, diners, diners. Love nostalgia? Diners orignated in this place! And many of them still have kept that old classic feeling of the golden years. Others still, such as the Middle of Nowhere Diner in Exeter, have more of a country feel, which I personally prefer, but either way I just love all the diners this state has to offer. Don't miss the 24 hour truck stop in West Greenwich! Others to try out: Seaplane Diner in Providence, ******* Diner in East Greenwich, Blue Plate Diner in Middletown, Chris's in Portsmouth, and oh man I can't even think right now...someone else is going to have to help me out on this one!
5.) The people. Yeah, that's right. The people. Very eccentric and outspoken bunch we are. Rhode Islanders will more than likely have you in stitches if you have an odd sense of humour. And a very close-knit group we are at that. Everybody knows everybody (which, depending on the person, might be a part of the cons list) Obviously, there are parts of the state just like anywhere else in the world where people are stuck up jerks that think their better than everyone else. Most RI'ers reading this are probably all saying the same town to themselves that starts with an "N."
6.) Providence. Sure, many people bash on this city, but hell...this joint sure is fun! I know it's small but damn it's eclectic! I love the diversity, and there is something for everyone. AND I MEAN EVERYONE. The problem is parking, I will admit. Many of the stores/nightclubs/eateries are situated on side streets and the parking is limited at times, and parking garages can be expensive for some people. What I usually just do is park in the Providence Place Mall parking lot (1 dollar for 3 hours ain't too shabby, and I think 2 or 3 bucks for up to 6 hours), and walk to where I want to go. The mall is located near alot of hip and fun places, and unless the spot where you plan on going has an affordable, easily accessible, and decent sized parking lot, this is what I would recommend. If you are lucky enough to park alongside one of the MANY side streets, it is usually free in most spots after 6PM .
7.) Ethnic diversity. It seems every year that passes the more diverse little Rhody gets. I love it. It is generally a very cultured state, with people of all sorts of ethnicities and creeds living in it. I sometimes think alot of people (not all, of course) that have lived here their whole lives take it for granted sometimes, and for those who don't, great!
8.) The stores. This state has the coolest stores for all tastes, I'll get into it more in my thread about RI stores, however I just wanted to state here that many of the state's best stores are of course the more well-hidden ones. Just a few of my personal favorite shopping locations: Wickford, Thayer street in Providence, Thames Street in Newport, Tiverton Four Corners.
9.) The weather. Huh??? But wait...that was part of the cons section, right? Absolutely. I put it here for those who, like myself, enjoy a little bit of everything. Sure, the weather is unpredictable as stated before, but generally, it could be much worse. People in this state love to **** and moan about it nonstop (every once in a while I do if I'm in a particularly bad mood, no doubt), but go to Canada or Maine in the winter, or hell, go to Alaska! Thirty degrees (average Januray temp in RI) with the fresh winter air after a snowfall is refreshing if you ask me. Most places get thirty degrees BELOW zero, so I feel lucky. And we experience the seasons changing. The spring weather here is a bit on the rainy side, but you need rain for those beautiful buds and flowers, my friends! And let me tell you, nothing, I mean NOTHING (well, maybe something) is as beautiful as driving through Washington County and Newport County after a big snowfall. Washington County is heavily wooded, so you see how beautiful it looks, and Newport County you can see not only the woods but the beaches and cliffs covered in snow. And during the warmer months, yes, we have loads of beaches...it just sucks when you turn on the news around here and hear about beach closings due to red tide and such...but generally summers are an effin blast in Rhode Island.

10.) Great place to raise a family. Most of the state has wonderful subrurban neighboorhods and nice schools, and is genrally a nice place to raise a family. Of course, be just as careful as you would anywhere else when there is little ones involved (I'm a mom too, ya know).

So there you have it folks. Ice Wolf's pros and cons to Rhode Island. I tried not to make it seem too biased, as one thing I dislike is when people just completely go off about a particular state in a very one-sided manner. There are good and bad things to all of them, my friends! Next up, I shall do my best in concocting a thread about the best places to eat in Little Rhody .

Old 12-19-2007, 01:43 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,820 times
Thumbs up Wow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Wolf View Post
I was born, raised, and still reside in Rhode Island. I have been reading lots of very extreme threads about lil' Rhody (extremely positive posts about it or a particular town, and vice versa). So I shall, to the best of my abilities, point out the pros AND cons (all the states have 'em), where to eat, shop, best places for sightseeing, etc. I myself still have yet to see more of the state despite the size, and anyone else can feel free to add to this thread . I will start this off by identifying my pros and cons for the state.

Okay: First off, let's get the damned cons out of the way, shall we?
1.) The infamous taxes. That's all I have to say about that, I don't want to make this one a rant. Just a list. "Infamous taxes" pretty much says it all, folks.
2.) The roads. Okay, so we have the high taxes right? So where do they go? Apparently, not the roads. Potholes, cracks, and loose gravel abound...even on the highways and main roads! If your an expectant mom near your due date and still believe in the old wive's tale that travelling on a bumpy road induces labor, RI is the place to go, by all means! Like I said, the pros and cons list is going to be kept short and sweet, so I continue...
3.) The cost of living. I know some engineers working at the Newport Naval Base saying they don't think they'll ever be able to afford a decent size house...perhaps they were exaggerating, but still the point is...wow. Living on the water as we all know comes with a price.
4.) The job market. Flat as a pancake. Maybe even a crepe!
5.) Rocky Point...no more! Yeah, no amusement parks. Not anymore at least . I miss the Rock and Roll Express at Rocky Point...blasting the best of HJY...hehe, just thought I'd add something more Rhode Islanders would know what I'm talking about...man I feel old...
6.) The makeup of the highways have something to be desired. When you come off a ramp onto the highways, your in a lane, driving along when suddenly, it becomes and exit, and next thing you know, your halfway to New York! By the way, this happens partiularly when you come off 195 West and onto 95 North to Boston near the Providence Place Mall...tourists beware.
7.) I particularly don't find this next (and final) aspect of the cons to be too bad, however most do, esp. if your not from the north, so I shall include it anyway: the weather. Very unpredictable. Don't even bother with watching the forecast...us RI'ers know to watch it at least twice a day if we MUST watch it...but honestly, whatever you seeing it do outside, is what you get. Don't bother with the forecasts, no matter how cute you think Tony Petrarca is or how witty Gary Ley is (I must confess, I enjoy them both)...what you see outside is what you get. Personally I think the oddball weather adds to it's charm, but who said I was normal...
And now the pros:
1.) Scenary! I wake up and am surrounded by mysterious, misty woodlands with white-tailed deer traipsing through my yard at the wee hours of the morn. Look beyond the trees and I can also see the Sakonnet river in all it's glory! The ocean scenary is beyond remarkable. The decidious woodlands and temperate forests (yeah, I'm a nature nerd) add to a whole different scenary as well, and you get the best of both worlds in this place.
2.) The food. Dear gods the food here rocks. Wow. What do you expect from a state that is mainly Italian, Irish, and Portuguese? Rhode Island has the highest percentage of Italians more than any state in the nation, and in the food (amongst other things) it shows. Also, the chourico, linguica, and rice pudding oh my! Lest we not forget the seafood. Clam cakes and chowder. Enough said. You wonder why most of the people here have a bit of meat on them!
3.) Coffee Milk. How could I forget? Delicious Eclipse or Autocrat (I prefer the latter, personally) syrup to put in milk. Or if your like me, on ice cream! It's just soooo good. Better than chocolate milk. The first several years of my life I thought that this stuff was everywhere. I was on a road trip to Florida when I was 7 with my mom and older brother. We stopped in at a Waffle House for breakfast in SC. I ordered a coffe milk and the poor waitress looked at me like I was a mutant!
4.) Diners, diners, diners. Love nostalgia? Diners orignated in this place! And many of them still have kept that old classic feeling of the golden years. Others still, such as the Middle of Nowhere Diner in Exeter, have more of a country feel, which I personally prefer, but either way I just love all the diners this state has to offer. Don't miss the 24 hour truck stop in West Greenwich! Others to try out: Seaplane Diner in Providence, ******* Diner in East Greenwich, Blue Plate Diner in Middletown, Chris's in Portsmouth, and oh man I can't even think right now...someone else is going to have to help me out on this one!
5.) The people. Yeah, that's right. The people. Very eccentric and outspoken bunch we are. Rhode Islanders will more than likely have you in stitches if you have an odd sense of humour. And a very close-knit group we are at that. Everybody knows everybody (which, depending on the person, might be a part of the cons list) Obviously, there are parts of the state just like anywhere else in the world where people are stuck up jerks that think their better than everyone else. Most RI'ers reading this are probably all saying the same town to themselves that starts with an "N."
6.) Providence. Sure, many people bash on this city, but hell...this joint sure is fun! I know it's small but damn it's eclectic! I love the diversity, and there is something for everyone. AND I MEAN EVERYONE. The problem is parking, I will admit. Many of the stores/nightclubs/eateries are situated on side streets and the parking is limited at times, and parking garages can be expensive for some people. What I usually just do is park in the Providence Place Mall parking lot (1 dollar for 3 hours ain't too shabby, and I think 2 or 3 bucks for up to 6 hours), and walk to where I want to go. The mall is located near alot of hip and fun places, and unless the spot where you plan on going has an affordable, easily accessible, and decent sized parking lot, this is what I would recommend. If you are lucky enough to park alongside one of the MANY side streets, it is usually free in most spots after 6PM .
7.) Ethnic diversity. It seems every year that passes the more diverse little Rhody gets. I love it. It is generally a very cultured state, with people of all sorts of ethnicities and creeds living in it. I sometimes think alot of people (not all, of course) that have lived here their whole lives take it for granted sometimes, and for those who don't, great!
8.) The stores. This state has the coolest stores for all tastes, I'll get into it more in my thread about RI stores, however I just wanted to state here that many of the state's best stores are of course the more well-hidden ones. Just a few of my personal favorite shopping locations: Wickford, Thayer street in Providence, Thames Street in Newport, Tiverton Four Corners.
9.) The weather. Huh??? But wait...that was part of the cons section, right? Absolutely. I put it here for those who, like myself, enjoy a little bit of everything. Sure, the weather is unpredictable as stated before, but generally, it could be much worse. People in this state love to **** and moan about it nonstop (every once in a while I do if I'm in a particularly bad mood, no doubt), but go to Canada or Maine in the winter, or hell, go to Alaska! Thirty degrees (average Januray temp in RI) with the fresh winter air after a snowfall is refreshing if you ask me. Most places get thirty degrees BELOW zero, so I feel lucky. And we experience the seasons changing. The spring weather here is a bit on the rainy side, but you need rain for those beautiful buds and flowers, my friends! And let me tell you, nothing, I mean NOTHING (well, maybe something) is as beautiful as driving through Washington County and Newport County after a big snowfall. Washington County is heavily wooded, so you see how beautiful it looks, and Newport County you can see not only the woods but the beaches and cliffs covered in snow. And during the warmer months, yes, we have loads of beaches...it just sucks when you turn on the news around here and hear about beach closings due to red tide and such...but generally summers are an effin blast in Rhode Island.

10.) Great place to raise a family. Most of the state has wonderful subrurban neighboorhods and nice schools, and is genrally a nice place to raise a family. Of course, be just as careful as you would anywhere else when there is little ones involved (I'm a mom too, ya know).

So there you have it folks. Ice Wolf's pros and cons to Rhode Island. I tried not to make it seem too biased, as one thing I dislike is when people just completely go off about a particular state in a very one-sided manner. There are good and bad things to all of them, my friends! Next up, I shall do my best in concocting a thread about the best places to eat in Little Rhody .
WOW!!! My friend you are so accurate it is scary. Maybe you should be working at The Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce or RI Tourist Association. I grew up in RI (Providence, Craaanston and Warwick) and read things in your post that I forgot about. I have been out of the state for 10 years now and live permanently in my new home state...but no one will EVER be able to extract all the Rhody out of me.

If I could rate your post on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, you would get an 11. Keep it up!!!...and next time consider saying something about "Buddy".

Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
I agree - excellent post.

Not to quibble but two very minor corrections:

1) Despite having the highest percentage of Portuguese in the country (mainly situated in East Bay), Rhode Island has more people of English and French ancestry (after Irish/Italian.)

2) Providence is extremely diverse ethnically, but once you get outside of Providence (particularly south of Providence) it actually becomes very very white. haha

Great post though!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Thumbs up Very ethnic is correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post

Not to quibble but two very minor corrections:

1) Despite having the highest percentage of Portuguese in the country (mainly situated in East Bay), Rhode Island has more people of English and French ancestry (after Irish/Italian.)

2) Providence is extremely diverse ethnically, but once you get outside of Providence (particularly south of Providence) it actually becomes very very white. haha

Great post though!
Yes..I have never been to a place outside of NYC that is so ethnically diverse. RI has a lot of Armenians, Greeks, Lebanese, Syrians, and so many other groups...and all that relates to fine dining...

Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,988 times
Quote:

I will also concur. Though one could quibble with small points here and there on ANY post, I think the OP hits the nail on the head.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 PM

774 posts, read 2,383,491 times
I think Ice Wolf did a great job of summarizing the pro's and con's of R.I. living.

Here's some spin on it from another life long Rhode Islander.

If you're thinking of moving to Rhode Island make sure you can say "yes" to the following statements:

(1). I don't like high taxes but I'll just pay them and complain like Rhode Islanders do.

(2). I know the winter is long, cold, wet, and gray (to most people), but that doesn't bother me, I'm warm blooded.

(3). I have a good job lined up, so I'm not concerned about the job market.

(4). Because of my good job, I can handle the high cost of living.

(5). Bad roads and congestion don't bother me much. I meditate in traffic.

Now, let's clear up a couple of R.I myths:

(1). Rhode Islanders are not friendly.
Answer: Look at it this way, most Rhode Islander's like myself have friends we've established 20 or more years ago. It's not that we're unfriendly, it's more that it takes time to break into groups that have been together for years. Once you start getting to know people, I don't think they will seem unfriendly to you.

(2). Rhode Islanders won't drive 10 miles--they think it's a long trip.
Answer: Okay, here's the deal. Once you've lived here for X number of years you finally figure out that the 10 mile trip that would normally take 15 minutes is going to take you at least 30 minutes each way, you astutely decide it's not worth it.
Example: Your wife says:"Honey, do you want to go visit my mother?"
You're tactful answer should be: "Well honey why don't you go alone this time....but tell your mother I sent my love".
Most all Rhode Islander's know that you can't go 500 feet without coming to a stop sign, red light, or traffic.
We're not parochial...we're smart.

(3). Rhode Island is ethnically diverse.
Answer: Well it really is! The thing is the ethnic groups which immigrated years ago like the Italians and the Portuguese have done well and settled in. Most have moved to the suburbs.
The more recent immigrants like the hispanic and cambodian population (which comprise a good percentage of the patients I see) have struggled badly with the high cost of living and lack of adequate jobs. Most tell me that they would try to move if they could.
Many people (in general) tell me they were earning more 15 years ago than today.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:27 AM

Sorry Mikey but the traffic light thing is nonsense. Try getting on Plainfield Pike in Cranston and taking it out to Foster. You won't hit a traffic light for like 30 miles!

There are a lot of other parts of RI like this too. The lights are obviously more concentrated in urban areas, but no moreso than anywhere else. Congestion can get difficult at times (mainly around Providence) - but what Rhode Islanders consider a tough rush hour would be considered a walk in the park in some cities.

Try driving through Tampa, FL at rush hour and then tell me Providence is "congested".

Everything is relative my friend!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:18 AM

Thumbs up Good points

Quote:
Sorry Mikey but the traffic light thing is nonsense. Try getting on Plainfield Pike in Cranston and taking it out to Foster. You won't hit a traffic light for like 30 miles!

There are a lot of other parts of RI like this too. The lights are obviously more concentrated in urban areas, but no moreso than anywhere else. Congestion can get difficult at times (mainly around Providence) - but what Rhode Islanders consider a tough rush hour would be considered a walk in the park in some cities.

Try driving through Tampa, FL at rush hour and then tell me Providence is "congested".

Everything is relative my friend!
I agree with you more than I disagree with the poster who got you to reply to his post . I was born and raised in Cranston and lived in RI for 90% of my life and although I now live down south I am still a proud Rhode Islander. We "natives" have a sense of loyalty to our roots there and, although some think we are nuts, we aren't...we stick to what we know.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year y'all

Old 12-22-2007, 11:22 AM

447 posts, read 1,850,318 times
In general, I agree with a lot of the OP (great post!) I have to add another longtime Rhode Islander perspective on a few points, though.

I thought the taxes were horrible (I lived in Barrington)...until I moved to Texas. I am paying virtually the same taxes on my 200k house here that I was on my 375k house in Rhode Island. Texans will tell you that the no income tax evens it out. It doesn't. I also pay an additional school tax here (it is not in the home taxes) that was several hundred dollars this year. sigh. So don't complain so much about Rhode Island taxes! Trust me.

The food - well, yes, the food points raised were correct, but I have to say I love the food here in Texas more because of the Mexican food. I LOVE Mexican, and going to Tequila Flats in Providence or that place in Seekonk (blanking on the name...also one in Little Compton, I think) just didn't cut it. The Mexican and BBQ here is sooooo good. I don't miss Rhode Island food at all - except occasionally for good Italian and a good bagel eatery. Good Italian here is Carrabas. Seriously.

The people - ah, this is always a huge point of contention. I think a pp made a great point in saying that many Rhode Islanders have had the same group of friends for 20 years, so it's hard to break into a group. That is VERY true. For me personally, I found Rhode Islanders insular and close-minded, generally speaking. I had plenty of friends in high school, but then I went to college in Washington DC and lived in Europe for a year, and when I came back, I found that my perspective and those of my friends were just very...different. Although I then lived and taught in Rhode Island throughout my 20s and into my early 30s, both my husband and I were continually frustrated with the mentality of Rhode Island. It's hard to explain....but I think people tend to either really love the Rhode Island culture, or don't. We didn't. Hence, the move to Austin.

That being said, I will always be a Rhode Islander at heart, and I think there are wonderful things about the state. I just ultimately found the negatives outweighed the positives. Take my opinion for what it's worth - the opinion of 1 person!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:31 PM

Regarding the food: If you like Thai food, Pakarang on S. Main St. in Providence is thee best Thai I have ever had!

You're right about Mexican food too. I am visiting my folks down in FL for Xmas and we just got back from Mexican. They DON'T make it like that in Rhody!

That having been said, I think Rhode Island cuisine is supremely good. Even decent BBQ can be found - the only thing lacking for me is the Mexican cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island