Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Late and unfair maybe... but at least a courageous attempt on Gina's at correcting a huge mistake.I give her big points for courage. Just like 38 studios... too bad we can't sue individuals who hold public office for bad management decisions they made on our behalf. All we powerless peons can do is not vote them back in.

And we pray that will be remembered at the November 6th election all across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 AM

4,364 posts, read 3,188,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
To no surprise, neither Alfie the Manhattan Transplant or dependent man
are capable of reading or remembering the situation. Paolino's
administration was already fighting the cola increase. It was a losing
battle. Cianci was advised not to fight all the way, the city would
have lost, had to pay legal fees, and perhaps even have been forced
to contract a worse deal. Moreover, as the city back then was in
far better hands, coming off years of consistent and responsible
leadership from Cianci and Paolino, it was neither cost prohibitive nor
projected to be. I guess these important factoids can only be
ignored as the anti-Cianci rhetoric expounds beyond facts into
the realms of vendetta and empty posturing.
Well then....why didn't he fully fund the pension if the city was so flush?

Because that's the other side of the problem.

As far as people dying younger in the 90s - REALLY?

We're talking about the 1990s, not the 1890s. And in the 1990s, you had 75% of firefighters going out with a disability pension years and years before age 65. No one could foresee that as a problem?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 AM

8,001 posts, read 4,689,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
To no surprise, neither Alfie the Manhattan Transplant or dependent man
are capable of reading or remembering the situation. Paolino's
administration was already fighting the cola increase. It was a losing
battle. Cianci was advised not to fight all the way, the city would
have lost, had to pay legal fees, and perhaps even have been forced
to contract a worse deal. Moreover, as the city back then was in
far better hands, coming off years of consistent and responsible
leadership from Cianci and Paolino, it was neither cost prohibitive nor
projected to be. I guess these important factoids can only be
ignored as the anti-Cianci rhetoric expounds beyond facts into
the realms of vendetta and empty posturing.
I do remember the situation, I was there! Regardless the correctness of this line of apology and blame, it speaks well of the Cianci campaign that it has somebody on this little forum who almost appears to be assigned to have his back. Originally, I though any of the democratic candidates except Solomon could beat Cianci in the general. Now I'm not so sure. Elorza is turning out to be weak tea in a city which likes strong coffee. That election day ground game his campaign people are talking about had better be spectacular or he will lose.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Elorza seems very ready to me to pour more money into the bottomless pit of our existing public school system which has been repeatedly gutted through failed "reforms" beginning with bussing.
I know, I'm completely against requiring kissing in schools!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 PM

23,519 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Well then....why didn't he fully fund the pension if the city was so flush?

Because that's the other side of the problem.

As far as people dying younger in the 90s - REALLY?

We're talking about the 1990s, not the 1890s. And in the 1990s, you had 75% of firefighters going out with a disability pension years and years before age 65. No one could foresee that as a problem?
All cities were underfunded during that time. Much different times, and future events that could not have been predicted back then. Things could still grow worse. What might be "full funding" today may not be in 10 years. But even so, it was under Cicilline that things really blew up.

And how are the firefighters going out on disability Buddy's fault? I'm really waiting for this one.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
This was in the 2010 election, after Harrop quit the race. He said he thought Angel was the better of the two candidates. For that matter, Fung also donated to Taveras in that election.

How does that make Harrop a traitor? He and Tavaras are both Americans.
Because when one is affiliated with a certain party, and sells themselves on a certain set of ideas; he has an obligation to his party and supporters. I didn't pay much attention to what was going on in the 2010 race, but with backing Elorza that is a clear betrayal of Harrop's backers. So I stand corrected; Harrop is not only a traitor, but a FRAUD.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:26 PM

It's Harrop's money to do with as he wishes. Elorza is severely underfunded and perhaps he believes in a level playing field. Harrop is still in the race. In 2010 he had dropped out before donating to Taveras.

Does it bother you that Cianci turned his back on the Republican party? (I can't say he betrayed his ideals because he's admitted the only ideals worth espousing are those which you believe will get you elected at any given moment.)

Old 10-22-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Does it bother you that Cianci turned his back on the Republican party? (I can't say he betrayed his ideals because he's admitted the only ideals worth espousing are those which you believe will get you elected at any given moment.)
What are you talking about??? No Buddy withdrew his membership from the Republican Party in an entirely honest, respectable fashion. Harrop should do the same, perhaps Fung should as well. Block certainly should.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,130 times
Well of course we can all predict what the Republican Party in Rhode Island would look like if the social extremists/political terrorists were in charge of things: it would look like the national Republican Party, a collection of social misfits and America-Hating/Terrorist-Enabling freaks of nature. I doubt serious RI GOP politicos will allow that to happen, and indeed I suspect they see the know-nothing, frothing, bitter, strangely angry, and way, way "out there" tin-foil hatted unhinged pitch-fork crowd for what they are: kooks and fringe elements. They will shun them, as all of polite, normal society currently does.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 10-22-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 03:36 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
it would look like the national Republican Party, a collection of social misfits and America-Hating/Terrorist-Enabling freaks of nature. I doubt serious RI GOP politicos will allow that to happen, and indeed I suspect they see the know-nothing, frothing, bitter, strangely angry, and way, way "out there" tin-foil hatted unhinged pitch-fork crowd for what they are: kooks and fringe elements. They will shun them, as all of polite, normal society currently does.
I realize the Republican party has many flaws, and isn't going to fix the big problems,
because neither party has anything approaching radical change on its platform;
however (Rhode Island aside) if you are thinking "polite", "normal" society will reject
the GOP this November, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island