Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times

Advertisements

There's a place near Grace Church that occasionally has some hot sax playing, but I never dropped by and don't recall the name. But it seemed cool -- has an outdoor space. But it's not a jazz club. (No matter. I can find it tonight when I go downtown.)

Is there any jazz going in in PVD or the state? And I mean in a club setting, not some dehydrated "Newport Jazz Festival?"

Jazz has struggled for decades. Clubs in the Village have been replaced with smart sushi or cupcake places. My favorite, Sweet Basil, closed in the Spring of 2001, and I remember at that very time telling my ex, "It's time to get out of **** out of here," as the mighty dollar pushed out jazz and OOB venues, and cut the legs off of genuine characters and artists, who could no longer afford to live in Manhattan.

Sadly, it took me over a decade to pack my kit bag and act on my intuition -- an intuition that became a sad and irrevocable reality.

So, maybe there's hope: what's up with jazz in PVD? Not asking for Sarah Vaughn, Better Carter or Miles --- just, you know, maybe a trio?

Sarah Vaughan, who is said to have a four (some say three) octave range, will have died twenty-five years ago this upcoming Friday, April 03. Wouldn't it be great to find a new Sarah here, here in PVD? Tell me what you know.

In honor of Sassy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhSM4ZgGkw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 03:51 PM

3,777 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Is there any jazz going in in PVD or the state? And I mean in a club setting, not some dehydrated "Newport Jazz Festival?"
Oh! I do hope someone has an answer to this question! I have long ago heard there was something, but I do not know it. I think I heard Pearl, but it burned down??

In Boston, I loved Wally's. And Scullers.

I spent some time chasing jazz in New York circa 2002. There were lots of great places. I first got an appreciation for vibes in a club in NYC. No, not what it sounds like.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Bovi's on some nights (sorry, it's in E. Providence). I used to be a regular at the Hi-Hat in Providence, but I believe they have closed I'm not sure if you still work in Boston, Alfie, but if you ever get a chance, go to Le Zygomates on South Street for AMAZING blues and Jazz.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:12 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Chan's in Woonsocket. Sometimes CAV. Most places gone now.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post

I spent some time chasing jazz in New York circa 2002. There were lots of great places. I first got an appreciation for vibes in a club in NYC. No, not what it sounds like.
Yes yes, we know you're not Lionel Hampton! When I found out he was a Republican, well, that ended that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree
Chan's in Woonsocket. Sometimes CAV. Most places gone now.
I've heard that but never gave it much thought, but with your recommendation I will.

I am surprised, perhaps a little, that there isn't a free-standing jazz club here in PVD, an Acela city. But perhaps I shouldn't be: many of the jazz artists I loved died before I was born, the rest in my early twenties, when it was clear jazz was really in trouble. Jazz is the ultimate expression of interesting, meaningful. consequential human interaction in an urban setting (some would argue rap is), and it's too precious and insightful and inspiring a gift to lose.

I hope other posters will have good news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvdnMzQGbEQ

Old 03-29-2015, 08:45 PM

3,777 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Ha, no. One place I used to check out in NYC was Smalls in west village. Also Bill's in Harlem.

I think the place near Grace Church must be The Roots? Check this site... The list for RI is pretty short... The list for Mass somehow does not include Wally's. I think Wally's is still open, so if it is not complete for Mass, perhaps there is something missing from the RI list too.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...21398-west.jpg

This is the place I mentioned -- restaurant with a huge patio, on Westminster (gorgeous street, nice if the overhead festive lights were fixed) across from the bocce court.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:10 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...21398-west.jpg

This is the place I mentioned -- restaurant with a huge patio, on Westminster (gorgeous street, nice if the overhead festive lights were fixed) across from the bocce court.
That's Aspire, the restaurant in Hotel Providence. Very nice inside, with that nice courtyard outside. Not strictly jazz though I imagine that's often the bill.

I think of Chans as more blues than Jazz, though I could be wrong. Theatre 182 in Cranston has a jazz brunch every Sunday, but that doesn't really help you. I'll have to ask my sister the jazz nut, but she usually ends up at Scullers for jazz.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:45 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
RI once had enough jazz musicians to have a Who's Who In RI Jazz published. Check the online public library catalog. As you say, Alfie, popularity has declined- a lot. Also, some became well known and didn't play locally much…… http://www.scotthamiltonsax.com

Old 03-30-2015, 08:36 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Not many "jazz clubs" per se, but there are plenty of jazz nights at restaurants and clubs, and jazz acts appearing around the state - Jazz Listings

Randall Square was once the epicenter of jazz in New England, with the Celebrity Club ranked in the top five jazz clubs in the country by Metronome. A series of questionable police raids in the late '50s led to the Celebrity Club's closing in 1960, and the whole neighborhood vanished with the construction of I-95 and urban renewal a few years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island