Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 9,305 times

Advertisements

I'm currently about to finish school and get married, so me and my fiance are look for places to live. He currently works in westford, MA near Lowell and I'm looking for jobs in boston or Worcester.
I've found what looks like some really nice houses for under 200k in Providence and Pawtucket, which would be great for our first home.
My questions are should I be worried about how inexpensive these houses are ?

And how are Providence and Pawtucket safety wise, were looking to start a family in a few years and how are the school systems.

What should I expect with commuting to mass? And also is there any other towns in RI that I should look at that would be the same type of commute?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 12:40 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Under 200K in Providence or Pawtucket? That probably means not so great areas. Real estate in RI is expensive. I am not a fan of Pawtucket, but there are some decent areas over in Seekonk behind Pawtucket. However, I doubt there will be much for under $200K.

As far as commute - the commute to Lowell will be a nightmare - 1.5 hours at least. The commute to Boston will probably take the same if you take the commuter rail and subways to the office. If you drive in, about an hour on a good day to get into Boston - plan on like 1.5-2 hours for traffic. The commute to Worcester would be slightly better - probably like 45-1 hour minutes straight up 146.

Why are you choosing RI if you are working way up in central/northeastern MA? Why not live up there?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 9,305 times
my fiance who works in lowell, only goes in to the office 2-3 days a week. I was just surprised at how many houses I found in RI in our price range compared to MA. Thanks for the info

Old 01-16-2008, 01:18 AM

688 posts, read 2,134,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtgirl View Post
My questions are should I be worried about how inexpensive these houses are ?

Well, it all depends. I believe the median for a single family house in RI sits around 250k dollars. So if you find a lot of nice houses for under 200k...

I don't know. Do you have any info on where these houses are located? I think some of those might be in not so desirable neighborhoods.

As for safety, Providence and Pawtucket both have a range of unsafe and quite safe neighborhoods. Again, it all depends on where you move. Price tag is a pretty good indicator though.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,220 times
I have lived in South Carolina for 15 years. Family may need to relocate for a job oppurtunity. We love the pace fo the South, so the urban experience would be a big adjustment. Looking for great a suburban area with good schools and recreational facilities. Please share any leads.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM

12 posts, read 37,667 times
The only areas you'd want in RI is Exeter south, (Washington County) NW RI, or on the East bay. Forget everywhere else, especially the city areas.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:05 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtgirl View Post
I'm currently about to finish school and get married, so me and my fiance are look for places to live. He currently works in westford, MA near Lowell and I'm looking for jobs in boston or Worcester.
I think you'd be nuts to commute from Prov. to Lowell--is there really no place closer that is affordable?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 AM

3 posts, read 14,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moton k View Post
I have lived in South Carolina for 15 years. Family may need to relocate for a job oppurtunity. We love the pace fo the South, so the urban experience would be a big adjustment. Looking for great a suburban area with good schools and recreational facilities. Please share any leads.
You should probably create your own thread instead of taking this one away from the original poster, not to be rude.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,371 times
I currently live in West Greenwich and would highly recommend the West Greenwich/Exeter area. There are some other nice areas also but all depends on where you would be working.

Thanks,

Old 01-21-2008, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,124 times
I would consider the Worcester County area. The cities of Northbridge, Uxbridge etc... seem to be having an urban reviltalization. Many of the old warehouses and factories are being converted into great condos. Personally, I LOVE RI! I moved away from there to NC many years ago, but still miss it. I travel there frequently and visit as often as possible. I know a lot of people down the cities of Providence and Pawtucket, BUT, they are still a great place to start a family. There are some very nice sections and neighborhoods. I would try to find a good realtor and start searching.
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island