Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 PM

548 posts, read 816,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Definitely go with the train at that hour. 45 minutes is plenty (really more than plenty), from South Station to Logan.

Is that Peter Pan departure time from Providence, or Foxboro? 1.5 hours sounds VERY optimistic for that time of day.
Good point. Bus is from downtown PVD, and includes stops at the Providence terminal at North Main, and at South Station. They assume 60 minutes exactly from the PVD terminal to South Station, and only 10 minutes from _arriving_ at So. Station to load/unloand *and* travel from S. Station to Logan!

Agreed that 90 minutes sounds optimistic even w/o any stops. INcluding those stops, I can't see how they'd be anywhere near on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 11:42 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
Good point. Bus is from downtown PVD, and includes stops at the Providence terminal at North Main, and at South Station. They assume 60 minutes exactly from the PVD terminal to South Station, and only 10 minutes from _arriving_ at So. Station to load/unloand *and* travel from S. Station to Logan!

Agreed that 90 minutes sounds optimistic even w/o any stops. INcluding those stops, I can't see how they'd be anywhere near on time.
I've never taken Peter Pan from PVD, but I have fairly regularly taken Bloom from Taunton. The schedules for buses are exceedingly optimistic. They're also subject to so many of the things that make driving a crapshoot. An accident, rain, or even just unusually heavy traffic will throw your arrival time off by quite a bit. If work is flexible in terms of your arrival, it's not an awful way to commute. However, the train - even with delays - is far more consistent and reliable (and generally faster). I stopped taking the bus because my scheduled arrival of 8:45 sometimes mostly ended up being somewhere between 9 and 9:30. Sometimes later. It was never early except for holidays when there's no traffic.

At best, the bus is inconsistent. At worst, it's unreliable. Even the flawed NER or MBTA is a better option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island