Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 8,917 times

Advertisements

So my husband is starting residency in June at Memorial and we have no idea where we should be looking for housing. We are both young (mid 20s) and have 2 small dogs (which has proven quite the challenge when finding a place). We'd love a safe area to go walk the dogs or a place close to parks. We are foodies as well and would love to be by cafes and restaurants. Our budget is around $1,500 for a two bedroom and at least 1 bath. Looking for something no less than 900 sq ft. We are really not interested in being around all the college housing and would prefer a more professional area. We are planning to visit this weekend and I want to know where I should be looking.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:40 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
You might be able to find something in Miriam/Summit, Hope Village, both in Providence, or Oak Hill, in Pawtucket. There are some good restaurants and a good bakery along Hope St., & Blackstone Blvd/Lippitt Park are nearby. The dogs may present a challenge as you predict.

There is debate amongst the posters to this forum about Oak Hill. It should meet your criteria. Others on here will jump in shortly to disagree. Since you will be in town, I'd put it on your list to check out and see for yourself. You might be more likely to find a landlord willing to rent to dog owners in Oak Hill than Hope Village or Miriam/Summit.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:09 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Have you looked at the website: rent prov dot com?

Two little dogs I think would equal one medium dog. Yes?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:19 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
The only "debate" about Oak Hill, and Pawtucket in general, is mainly from people who don't even live in the state. Oak Hill definitely meets the professional, close to restaurants and parks, and neighborhood full of dogs criteria. It's even a popular neighborhood for medical residents.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of apartments available in the neighborhood. There's a 3-bed at 125 Clifford Street currently listed at $950 - Apartments For Rent - 9 Rentals | Zillow. That's marketed as Oak Hill but is really Riverview West; it's between the high school and elementary school, and more than a half mile from the restaurants and park. I can look around the neighborhood and see what else might be available. Off the top of my head I only know of a couple of rental houses in the $2k-2500 range.

Over the line in Providence isn't as materially different for apartments as it is for houses. You will probably find something that meets your needs off of Hope Street between Rochambeau Avenue and the Pawtucket line. The biggest difference is that overnight on-street parking is heavily restricted in Providence. If you don't have off-street parking you will need a $100 a year permit and cannot park on certain streets.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:44 PM

No I have not! But it looks promising. I've been all over Trulia and Zillow looking all day long, with really no luck. Both of our dogs combined are around 30 pounds. One is a little Yorkie/Scottie mix and the other is an American Eskimo/Elkhound/?.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 PM

108 posts, read 181,865 times
You can try Broadway/Armory area. Two dog parks in the area, some of the best restaurants in the city (and I'm not talking Atwells), and plenty of choices within that budget. You can also check out Fed Hill (between Atwells and Broadway) but that can tend to get a bit "collegy" and some dicey pockets as you get away from the city. If you can find an apartment in proximity to Broadway Bistro, North, Nick's, Julians, Loie Fullers, the Grange, you'll probably be a happy camper.

The East Side is also an option but rents have been skyrocketing all over the city and i am not sure you'll have a lot of quality options at that price point.

Oak hill is a great suggestion too if you can find something there. I just am not super familiar with the rents there to be able to advise one way or another.

If you check out craigslist and type in Providence + any of those n'hoods that will be a good start :^)

Old 04-14-2015, 02:09 PM

108 posts, read 181,865 times
congrats on the pending move too! I don't know where you guys are coming from (hopefully it's a good foodie are since that's of interest) but Providence is one of the top food places in the country nowadays. It's really remarkable how many great restaurants are at our disposal in such a small state. You two are in for a treat!

Old 04-14-2015, 02:15 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
^ I'll second the suggestion of Pvdjames. The only reason I did not suggest Broadway/Armory is because it is slightly farther away from Memorial Hospital, but still a very reasonable commute. The Dexter Training Ground is a park closeby to this area... right next to the Armory itself.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:08 PM

According to Trulia the area around Fed Hill was a little dicey so that made me nervous to look in that area. Is it not as bad as what I'm thinking? Also, dumb out- of -stater question, but where is the Armory/Broadway area? We were looking at Mt. Hope and Wayland area, but I'm just not happy about what you get for the price of rent. We're coming from Cleveland so it will be a bit of an adjustment I'm looking forward to the ocean though!

Old 04-14-2015, 03:44 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
You might want to look at this in Pawtucket close to Slater Park.

Parkview Exchange | Forest Properties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island