Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,483 times

Advertisements

Hi
We will be moving from Europe to RI in the summer and need to start doing our homework now and find an area to live. We would really appreciate suggestions with the following criteria:

1) Safe surburban area with a sense of community. If we need an urban fix, it looks like everywhere is within close driving distance to Providence.
2) Good schooling for a 5 year old
3) House price range around $600k/$650k
4) Fairly close to recreational ammenities (tennis, golf, shops etc)

I will be working in Johnston and I'm used to an hour commute so anywhere in this radious would not be a problem, although anything less would be good!

Appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 PM

12 posts, read 37,674 times
Hi, in RI, everything from Exeter south through the Coast & South County (Officially known as Washington County) is nice, and also the NW portion of the State away from the city is nice. Everything else is pretty much a write off.

There are nice areas on the East side of the bay like Bristol & Newport too but you probably wouldn't look there given you'll be working in Johnston.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
East Greenwich would be worth investigating. It is considered one of the top communities in the state and has well-regarded schools

Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 14,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
East Greenwich would be worth investigating. It is considered one of the top communities in the state and has well-regarded schools
Sound advice. Also, the taxes in EG will not choke you. Other areas to consider would be Scituate and Smithfield. They both are within close proximity of Johnston and have some beautiful properties available.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:49 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
If you're giong to be working in Johnston and wish to minimize your commute, I'd consider Western Cranston.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 19,650 times
East Greenwich. You can get a nice house for 600k - 650k. Schools are considered one of the best in RI and the area is safe. Also very close to recreation, shops, restaurants and highway access. Commute to Johnston would be about 20 minutes.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 11,662 times
North Kingstown - Made the best 500 high School in the US
lots of house in that range and up.. Wickford is a nice walk around village right on the water. Schools are wonderful.
good luck
Kelly

Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 21,686 times
Beautiful houses in Touisset Point, Warren RI.
Beach community; community club with tennis, basket ball, soft ball, bocci ball, swim lessons for kiddies as well as summer program for young ones and teens....
Club also features pot lucks; summer dinner dances; book club; breakfasts; art shows...for adults
There is a Audobaun Society wildlife refuge area up street just a short way.
A local volunteer fire station, which holds Halloween, X mas parties for the kiddies and harvest suppers as well as their world famous New England Clambake!
You *must* consider this up and coming arts community.
Warren is an old mill town, finally awakening to its historic heritage and has much to offer.
Finally, it is a 25 minute commute to Providence, the capital city. Johnston is only 10 minutes further.

I know. I have lived in Touisset for 23 years. It is a real hideaway from the world. And it's just BEAUTIFUL!
And I work in Providence.
I am now looking to move to the city to ease my commute. (I don't like driving). I am looking for a duplex. Anyone know of anything for me?

Let me know if you need any further information.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
I agree with the posters who suggested the towns in South County- North Kingstown, South Kingstown, or Narragansett might be good for you! About a 45 minute drive to Johnston, good areas, beautiful beaches, and the University of Rhode Island in Kingston in South Kingston gives a little bit of energy and student-y life to the area, and the international students and professors guarantee that the grocery stores carry some European foods too!
Good luck with your move!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,483 times
Default Real estate agents

Thanks very much for the advice, really appreciated and useful. Does anyone know of a good real estate agent that would have property in these areas (N S Kingstown, E Greenwich etc)?

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island