Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 05:21 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
These tolls sound complicated. With gas prices apparently low, now is a good time for the Feds to slap on a buck per gallon tax and allow states to add half a buck.

I get so irritated with car drivers. Want decent roads? Pony up. Don't want to pony up? Stop kvetching. After all, driving is a privilege and not a right.
Many people must drive to make a living. It is narrow minded to assume that cars are optional for most people - not so at all. And not everyone lives within walking distance to all amenities- that is currently impossible for most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 05:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Many people must drive to make a living. It is narrow minded to assume that cars are optional for most people - not so at all. And not everyone lives within walking distance to all amenities- that is currently impossible for most.
And your point is... what? Let me restate mine: want quality roads? Pay for them. Is there a level of complexity that I'm missing here?

Old 05-28-2015, 05:34 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
And your point is... what? Let me restate mine: want quality roads? Pay for them. Is there a level of complexity that I'm missing here?
Except for the fact that we have "paid for them", probably two, three or four fold. Not really complex for a normal person to understand, yet possibly is when living in an alternate reality such as yours.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Except for the fact that we have "paid for them", probably two, three or four fold. Not really complex for a normal person to understand, yet possibly is when living in an alternate reality such as yours.
Hardly. You carpers and whiners and "too fat to run, too scared to fight" carbon burners seem to forget a fact, a fact so simple that my guess is even you can understand it, and I'll even provide an easy analogy to help you:

When one Has a child, there are birthing expenses, serious ones. But does that end the requirements to feed and grow and keep the child healthy? No. Building a road is the relatively cheap part: maintaining and expanding them is whee one needs to dig deeply and frequently into their wallet.

If you can 't afford or will not pay the cost, then as they say in Hell's Kitchen, "Just shut the hell up."

Old 05-28-2015, 06:07 PM

So how would you like it if you paid child support to the mother (to feed, cloth the child, etc.), and you find that she had been spending it all this time on booze, cigarettes and scratch tickets? That is basically the current situation with the infrastructure.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:34 PM

Well you see cheating and corruption and malingering around every corner. so let's get back on topic. If you want drivable roads, it costs money. So pay up or be silent. What is so complicated about that?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:36 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
I think one drawback to a higher gas tax vs. tolls is that, given the size of the state, it is fairly easy to shirk one's responsibility and put (fewer) tax dollars into the coffers of Mass. or Conn.

Now, if you want to argue that it is a federal issue and wish to handle it through the federal gas tax, I don't know how you will ensure the dollars get distributed on an as needed basis.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Holly, your attachment to cars reminds me of Charlton Heston and his "you'll have to pry it (my carbon burning vehicle) from my dead hands," and it reflects neither urbanism or increasingly sought-after lifestyles. Younger folks and well educated folks are living perfectly happy lives without cars. And there is an unspeakable level of selfishness among people who could go carless or at least reduce their carbon burning. But then they'd have to be around people who "are from the other side of the tracks.

This "I Gots Mine" attitude is a root of evil, and I for one find it anti-social.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I think the issue is not with "ponying up", but what, exactly, is happening once said money is sufficiently "ponied".
If you have evidence of corruption it is your civic duty to report it. Otherwise, more toothless anecdote.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
So pay up or be silent.
I will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island