Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 04:32 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times

Advertisements

Whichever, I love them. Lighter than a conventional hot dog, and yet still flavorful. Though, they aren't strong enough to withstand sauerkraut, in my opinion, but delicious, still. I like toasting those flat-sided hot dog rolls until lightly brown. I never saw flat-sided buns, either. Well, not as a rule.

Are they a SNE or RI thing? What's the history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 04:43 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Whichever, I love them. Lighter than a conventional hot dog, and yet still flavorful. Though, they aren't strong enough to withstand sauerkraut, in my opinion, but delicious, still. I like toasting those flat-sided hot dog rolls until lightly brown. I never saw flat-sided buns, either. Well, not as a rule.

Here ya go..

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...dL/story.html#

.... and another thing you won't find in grocery stores out west...

Old 07-22-2015, 04:45 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
They are named after Augustus Saugy (1858-1905) lived in Craaaanston… Saugy Hot Dogs of Rhode Island

Old 07-22-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
“Before the New England-style roll,” says Cornelis, “there was no way to mechanically slice a bun part of the way through. If you wanted a roll pre-sliced, commercial bakers would slice them all the way through. Well, that’s not as happy a hot dog bun.”
Of course it's not as happy a hot dog bun! It's a whole different experience.

Holly, I was at ESM and asked about the price of lobstah and it was scary.

So, what's the plural of Saugy? Because you can't have just one.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:09 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Saugies are the ONLY hot dog I'll buy, and I always bring them down to Florida for my parents whenever I head down. I suppose I could make do with Kayem franks in an emergency if I had to, but Saugies are the best. I like the toasted bun too, slather them with melted butter and throw them on the grill for a minute. Add some of my wife's home made pepper relish and WOW.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Saugies are the ONLY hot dog I'll buy, and I always bring them down to Florida for my parents whenever I head down. I suppose I could make do with Kayem franks in an emergency if I had to, but Saugies are the best. I like the toasted bun too, slather them with melted butter and throw them on the grill for a minute. Add some of my wife's home made pepper relish and WOW.
Whoa! Me Like! I do the butter thing, too! But have to have a Gansett with them. (I know Gansett isn't great beer but I like it a lot.)

Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Whoa! Me Like! I do the butter thing, too! But have to have a Gansett with them. (I know Gansett isn't great beer but I like it a lot.)
I agree. there is nothing better than hearing the sound of a saugy popping when fully cooked! But, alas, another "Rhode Island" item that is no longer produced here.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:32 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Quote:
So, what's the plural of Saugy? Because you can't have just one.
Saugys

Old 12-02-2015, 01:52 AM

77 posts, read 103,101 times
Quote:
I like toasting those flat-sided hot dog rolls until lightly brown. I never saw flat-sided buns, either. Well, not as a rule.

Whoa! You're not a native, are you? Where did you move from? Those were the only kind of buns I knew when growing up. Buttered and grilled! Aren't they the best thing ever? Better then the hot dog itself, in my opinion. I would eat a mediocre hot dog on one of those good buns before I would a great hot dog on a lousy 'ol regular hot dog bun.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:15 AM

33 posts, read 30,059 times
Smile saugy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonceDeLeon View Post
Whoa! You're not a native, are you? Where did you move from? Those were the only kind of buns I knew when growing up. Buttered and grilled! Aren't they the best thing ever? Better then the hot dog itself, in my opinion. I would eat a mediocre hot dog on one of those good buns before I would a great hot dog on a lousy 'ol regular hot dog bun.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island