Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,345 times

Advertisements

I'm a native New Yorker, I've lived here (and unfortunately hated it here) my entire life. I'm from Westchester county, a suburban county about 45 minutes north of NYC. I'm way more of a beach person than a city person so New York as a whole has never appealed to me. I've began to look at colleges and have narrowed it down to three states- Rhode Island, North Carolina and South Carolina. I've found that RI appeals to me the most (I've been there a bunch of times because I have family in northern RI) because of both the people and scenery of it, because from what I've seen Rhode Islanders are a completely different breed than New Yorkers (who I'm not so fond of). My cousin goes to Wheeler and loves it, and shes always telling me how great the people there are. I'm trying to decide if RI is the right place for me- I'd say I'm fairly laid back, artistic, and I love just about everything that has to do with the ocean/beach. I've been reading a lot about what it's like to attend college in RI and it seems as if a lot of people complain about the winters (and all the snow) but I'm not sure that it'd be much different from NY, as we get Nor-Easters a lot and these past few winters have been some of the worst. I don't like the cold or snow, but I feel like when it's in RI at least you have spring/summer and the beaches to look forward to, while in NY you don't have much to look forward to since there's basically no beaches around here. One of the things I hate most about NY is some of the people- they're rude, snobby and materialistic (not that everyone is like that, I have a lot of great friends here but unfortunately a lot of people are like that)- and I know that there's people like that in every state, but is it to the same extent in RI? I've been looking at Brown, Salve Regina and URI too actually, despite the fact that I've heard it's generally talked down upon by RI residents (why is that? It seems like a fine school and I've heard it has a great marine bio program which is what I want to study). URI also seems like a good option due to its close proximity to Narragansett, which is one of my favorite places in RI. What's it like to live in Rhode Island? What are the people like? I'd love to hear any experiences people have with living/going to college there

Last edited by casey399; 08-31-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 PM

156 posts, read 439,055 times
First off I can tell you right now that you won’t get a consensus on this forum. Some folks will respond negatively about the people of RI (and everything else for that matter) and have moved out of the state accordingly (but strangely still post on this forum years and years later), or have never lived here at all but still have very strong opinions about what that they think it is like to live here because they have friends or family or business or whatever here. Others have moved here from elsewhere (NY included) and have generally positive things to say. I am one of those folks. Moved down from Boston 12 years ago. But here is the thing – you really can’t generalize too much. The people I have become friends with or deal with as a consumer, customer etc., have been on the whole more positive and friendly than Boston. But that could be just a matter of luck or the places I happen to frequent or who knows what. The people you would be around in college would be a mix of Rhode Islanders and out of staters (some from NY, so you can’t escape them entirely) and have no connection to the circle I run in. I realize I am being less than helpful, but that’s how I see it. But I will leave you with this – if you look for the best of what’s around you in Rhode Island, and take advantage of everything it has to offer (except for jobs, not a ton of those) you just might really like it. I do.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:08 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Do you have A's in all your advanced math and science classes? URI marine biology is an extremely competitive program.

Brown U admitted only 8% of 30,000+ applicants this year.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Do you have A's in all your advanced math and science classes? URI marine biology is an extremely competitive program.

In math, no, but for science, yes, and I'm a part of the science NHS and I've taken marine biology for 3 years now. If marine bio didn't work out I'd probably choose psychology instead! And I know, Brown would probably be a long shot but one of my cousins is starting her first year there in a few days

Old 08-31-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins86 View Post
First off I can tell you right now that you won’t get a consensus on this forum. Some folks will respond negatively about the people of RI (and everything else for that matter) and have moved out of the state accordingly (but strangely still post on this forum years and years later), or have never lived here at all but still have very strong opinions about what that they think it is like to live here because they have friends or family or business or whatever here. Others have moved here from elsewhere (NY included) and have generally positive things to say. I am one of those folks. Moved down from Boston 12 years ago. But here is the thing – you really can’t generalize too much. The people I have become friends with or deal with as a consumer, customer etc., have been on the whole more positive and friendly than Boston. But that could be just a matter of luck or the places I happen to frequent or who knows what. The people you would be around in college would be a mix of Rhode Islanders and out of staters (some from NY, so you can’t escape them entirely) and have no connection to the circle I run in. I realize I am being less than helpful, but that’s how I see it. But I will leave you with this – if you look for the best of what’s around you in Rhode Island, and take advantage of everything it has to offer (except for jobs, not a ton of those) you just might really like it. I do.

You're right, I didn't really take that into account. I guess a person's opinion of a state depends on their specific personality and interests. Thank you for your insight!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:29 PM

296 posts, read 532,739 times
If you like looking at the beach Rhode island is OK. If you like doing things in the water without a wetsuit then it is not a good place for that. Water temps are way too cold to enjoy it. Its even too cold to sit pleasantly at the beach even in July or august because air temps are quite often too cold as well. You will often need to wear a jacket when you get on the sand as the temp with the wind will be quite cold

Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 PM

120 posts, read 235,457 times
I graduated from URI in 2014 with a degree in cell bio. It's a typical large flagship state school. If you apply yourself (I.e intern, do (if your in the sciences) research, be studious.). It has a reputation from some RI'ers has being a safety and/or party school but for all the kids that like to party, there are the students that don't. I never lived on campus, but from what I heard it's mostly quiet as many of the local kids go home on the weekends. From what I've heard on-campus living is hit or miss-some hated it, some loved it. Almost everyone moves of campus towar the end of their time (cheaper, less rules).

Many graduates leave as the RI economy (plus 40% of undergrads are out of state)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

I don't think marine bio has more selective criteria, other than maybe more rigorous science/math courses in high school. The only program to my knowledge is Pharmacy which is very difficult to get into. Business might be, not sure on that (I know it's one of the few majors that has special requirements for students that are undecided and what I change their major when they are already in college)

Old 09-01-2015, 05:38 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
If you like looking at the beach Rhode island is OK. If you like doing things in the water without a wetsuit then it is not a good place for that. Water temps are way too cold to enjoy it. Its even too cold to sit pleasantly at the beach even in July or august because air temps are quite often too cold as well. You will often need to wear a jacket when you get on the sand as the temp with the wind will be quite cold
This is kind of a strange claim. Yeah, it's not Florida, but go to any beach in Rhode Island on any summer day and you'll see hundreds to thousands of people enjoying the water without a wetsuit, and very few (if any) people wearing a jacket.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:41 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
If you've posted this to keep the hoards of summer tourists away then good on you.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I graduated from URI in 2014 with a degree in cell bio. It's a typical large flagship state school. If you apply yourself (I.e intern, do (if your in the sciences) research, be studious.). It has a reputation from some RI'ers has being a safety and/or party school but for all the kids that like to party, there are the students that don't. I never lived on campus, but from what I heard it's mostly quiet as many of the local kids go home on the weekends. From what I've heard on-campus living is hit or miss-some hated it, some loved it. Almost everyone moves of campus towar the end of their time (cheaper, less rules).

Many graduates leave as the RI economy (plus 40% of undergrads are out of state)

I don't think marine bio has more selective criteria, other than maybe more rigorous science/math courses in high school. The only program to my knowledge is Pharmacy which is very difficult to get into. Business might be, not sure on that (I know it's one of the few majors that has special requirements for students that are undecided and what I change their major when they are already in college)

Thank you so much for all the info!! It's nice to hear from someone who actually went there haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: