Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 12:28 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,153,749 times

Advertisements

With summer winding down and Labor Day now a week past, I don't have a lot of faith in making it to the beach again in 2015. So I thought I'd throw together a recap of the beaches I enjoyed this season and ask all of you how you made out. Of note: Except for Goddard, which is right around the corner from me, I did not visit the same beach twice. I also didn't go to Narragansett, the focus of my 2014 beach patronage, despite the fact that I lived significantly closer this summer. There's a lot of beach out there, so I felt like I should spread the wealth. And as you'll see, I got around!

I took in a good deal more beach scenery than I'm including here, but a beach is eligible for inclusion on this list only if I actually ventured onto the sand. Listed in rough order of when I visited:

The beach: Goddard State Park
Why did I go? It's the closest beach to my house, basically right down the block.
Did I go swimming? Despite frequent closings for high bacteria levels, yes.
Pros: I can be there in five minutes, there's ample free parking with almost no walk from the lot to the beach, the waters are calm. Due, I assume, to geographical factors I don't understand, the water is particularly warm. The setting is one of the most interesting I've seen, with boats bobbing just beyond the swimming area, pretty neighborhoods visible in the distance, a couple of architecturally significant buildings, and hilly woods right next door.
Cons: It's small, the sand isn't the finest or most attractive, and it gets a little rocky at the water line.
Would I return? Repeatedly.
Total score: 7/10

The beach: Lincoln Woods State Park
Why did I go? It's near my office and I'd been there many times to take a look. I always found it intriguing.
Did I go swimming? Sure did.
Pros: The freshwater aspect makes it unusual for a Rhode Island beach, as do the almost entirely wooded surroundings. Free parking, though the lot is in pretty bad condition.
Cons: Having visited a few times without going into the water, I was really looking forward to this one, but I was disappointed. I thought I wasn't snobby enough to be bothered by the super-déclassé clientele, but I was sadly wrong. I'm fine with calm beaches, but this was a little too calm, with a troubling standing-water feel. And I felt lake (or, really, pond) water should have been a bit more pristine.
Would I return? To enjoy the scenery, yes. To swim or even to lie on the sand, no.
Total score: 3/10

The beach: Quonochontaug East Beach
Why did I go? I was looking for Blue Shutters Beach, which I'd heard was nice, and I hadn't been to the beach in Charlestown. The GPS led me here, which is a private beach open only to local residents and their guests. They let me in without a word. I was immediately confused, but I had already set up shop before I definitively concluded I wasn't on Blue Shutters. Definitely my most surreal beach experience of the summer.
Did I go swimming? Absolutely not.
Pros: The sand was lovely and the beach was wide.
Cons: The waves were the strongest I've ever seen on any beach. I like powerful waves, but this was too much. The steep dropoff made walking the beach difficult and enjoying the view while sitting on a beach chair impossible. Maybe it was because it was early in the season, but the water was ice cold, which is why I didn't swim.
Would I return? Considering I wasn't even supposed to be there, no. Undecided on whether I'd visit the adjacent Blue Shutters Beach.
Total score: 4/10

The beach: Gooseberry Beach
Why did I go? I heard somewhere it was the best lesser-known beach in the state.
Did I go swimming? Oh, yeah.
Pros: Absolutely beautiful, definitely the most attractive beach I visited this summer. You can see amazing-looking estates on top of the hills that ring the beach. The waves were gentle. The snack shack had unique and high-quality offerings. The bathrooms were surprisingly clean. Because it's not a state beach, flotation devices are allowed, so my 5-year-old could wear his life vest for extra fun.
Cons: Too much seaweed. The changing rooms were a little gross, but where aren't they, really?
Would I return? Most definitely.
Total score: 9/10

The beach: Long Beach
Why did I go? My parents live right on top of it.
Did I go swimming? Yes, though the waves are strong enough here that you have to be a much stronger swimmer than I to legitimately swim, per se.
Pros: The boardwalk makes this beach, and for those who don't like the obnoxiousness of, say, the Jersey Shore, it's a fairly low-key boardwalk, with mostly apartment buildings along it. The beach is wide, with soft, white sand, and it goes on for miles and miles. Regularly spaced jetties ensure slightly different experiences depending on where you enter. Plenty of food and services provided by independent vendors. It was named the cleanest beach on Long Island a few years back, and there are many, many beaches on Long Island. Can you tell I love this beach? I love this beach.
Cons: Really the only con I can think of is that the architecture of the 1940s-1980s midrise buildings along the boardwalk can be pretty ugly. Oh, yeah -- there's a steep entry fee and no paid parking, which sounds like a pro until you circle for 45 minutes trying to find street parking. But my parents live next door in a building with a garage, and they have season passes, so none of that matters to me.
Would I return? I would and I will, at least once per summer. This is my favorite beach. Sorry, Rhode Island.
Total score: 9/10

The beach: Blue Beach
Why did I go? It was an accident. I was driving around and passed it and was drawn to it. It's a beach in an office park -- how could I not?
Did I go swimming? Nope, no time for that.
Pros: It's in an office park! Great view of the Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge. I guess I was there at an off hour, but if empty beaches are your thing, there was only one guy on it.
Cons: The backdrop of heavy manufacturing equipment isn't really my jam. The sand didn't look the best, though it wasn't terrible.
Would I return? Despite more cons than pros, it's intriguing enough that I would.
Total score: 4/10

The beach: Calf Pasture Beach
Why did I go? It's one of the beaches that's closest to my house, so I was curious. I drove by a couple of times and wanted to see it more in depth. I actually went early in the morning after working all night -- I wanted to watch the sunrise. I missed the sunrise but still got to enjoy the beach before my wife and kid woke up.
Did I go swimming? Uh-uh, wasn't prepared for that.
Pros: Conveniently located, for me, at least. Maybe lots of easy street parking? (See the cons for more details.) It's in a cute, low-key neighborhood -- very much a neighborhood-beach feel, rather than a destination-beach feel. There's a walking and bike path leading up to it.
Cons: The sand didn't feel too good. I took the longest beach walk of the season here, and I had to walk all the way up by the dunes. The dunes weren't in great shape, with the odd troubling pool of standing water. Maybe no parking? The signs weren't clear as to whether non-residents were even allowed to park in the neighborhood.
Would I return? I'll probably drop by again just to take a look. I won't be "going to the beach" there, though.
Total score: 2/10

The beach: Frankfort Beach
Why did I go? I was there for a family wedding, and there was a beach there, so I had to pop over.
Did I go swimming? Didn't have time and wasn't prepared, which is unfortunate because Lake Michigan has warmer water than the ocean.
Pros: People on the coasts don't know about Great Lakes beaches at all, but Lake Michigan's are really good. The sand is some of the softest I've ever seen, the water is blue and beautiful. That's true of a lot of Lake Michigan beaches, but at this one, the scenery was great, too, with rolling hills all around and a historic lighthouse on an island just off the shore.
Cons: The part I went to was small and too ringed in by vacation rentals -- it felt a little claustrophobic.
Would I return? Yeah, but I probably won't have the chance, which is a shame.
Total score: 8/10

The beach: Carson Beach
Why did I go? I stumbled across it with my son while my wife was at a beautician in the neighborhood. This is exactly why I always keep my car packed with beach stuff in the summer!
Did I go swimming? Oh, dear, no. Nobody else was swimming, either. My son waded in but scraped up his feet immediately, which I guess is a parenting demerit for me.
Pros: It's in Boston, in a highly populated area. I'm a sucker for that. Nice urban scenery -- you could see the JFK Library on the other side.
Cons: Hands down the rockiest beach I've seen (mind you, I haven't made a point of visiting rocky beaches). The sand, which I learned later was imported, is fine -- until you get within about 20 feet of the shoreline, at which point it turns to mud. That's the same point where it becomes saturated with shells and jagged rocks.
Would I return? You know what, I would if I were in the area. But I'd know better next time about going near the water. And I can't rate it very highly at all as a beach because of that. I don't need to go swimming, but I at least need to be able to wade in.
Total score: 2/10

Last edited by boulevardofdef; 09-13-2015 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 01:05 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,208,154 times
Thank you for your review, that was awesome! Of all the beaches from the mid-Atlantic to Maine, I confess I am most fond of those in Rhode Island. I have fond memories of Misquamicut and East Beach, I am sorry to hear East Beach was problematic, I don't recall it being that way, but times change and weather events take their toll over the years.

I had to laugh about the encounter with the "declasse" clientele. A relative of mine reports that Candlewood Lake in Connecticut has been similarly afflicted and caused their egalitarian mood to evaporate.

I myself hope to visit Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore on Lake Michigan one day. The dunes supposedly dwarf any on the east coast of the US. Although some may argue with you about the water temps being warmer there than in Rhode Island. It's counterintuitive, because you'd think lake water would be warmer, but they don't have the moderating ocean currents.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,153,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Thank you for your review, that was awesome! Of all the beaches from the mid-Atlantic to Maine, I confess I am most fond of those in Rhode Island.
It probably seemed like I underrated Rhode Island beaches a bit, but that's just because I hit up some of the best ones last summer and wanted to mix it up a little bit this year. Sand Hill Cove/Roger Wheeler, Salty Brine and Second Beach all get very high ratings from me.

Quote:
I had to laugh about the encounter with the "declasse" clientele. A relative of mine reports that Candlewood Lake in Connecticut has been similarly afflicted and caused their egalitarian mood to evaporate.
You know how I said the parking lot was in bad condition? There's a huge, pretty-much permanent puddle right by the beach entrance, which I couldn't help but drive through. This one older teenager/young adult stopped to stare at me as I did it, with her eyes bugging out and her mouth literally hanging open as I slowly passed by. Because I was driving through a puddle! This sparked a 15-minute conversation with my wife on the way to dinner about how we were both raised not to look at people like that, but some people's parents just don't teach those sorts of lessons.

Quote:
I myself hope to visit Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore on Lake Michigan one day. The dunes supposedly dwarf any on the east coast of the US. Although some may argue with you about the water temps being warmer there than in Rhode Island. It's counterintuitive, because you'd think lake water would be warmer, but they don't have the moderating ocean currents.
Huh, I stand corrected. I just looked it up and not only are Rhode Island beaches warmer than Michigan, they're much warmer. Guess it's not so unfortunate that I didn't get to swim. Just in case I didn't praise Michigan enough, though, I was kind of blown away. The region that locals call "Up North" has a Cape Cod-type feel, with lots of really nice beaches along winding local highways that run through cute resort towns.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:44 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,208,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
It probably seemed like I underrated Rhode Island beaches a bit, but that's just because I hit up some of the best ones last summer and wanted to mix it up a little bit this year. Sand Hill Cove/Roger Wheeler, Salty Brine and Second Beach all get very high ratings from me.

You know how I said the parking lot was in bad condition? There's a huge, pretty-much permanent puddle right by the beach entrance, which I couldn't help but drive through. This one older teenager/young adult stopped to stare at me as I did it, with her eyes bugging out and her mouth literally hanging open as I slowly passed by. Because I was driving through a puddle! This sparked a 15-minute conversation with my wife on the way to dinner about how we were both raised not to look at people like that, but some people's parents just don't teach those sorts of lessons.

Huh, I stand corrected. I just looked it up and not only are Rhode Island beaches warmer than Michigan, they're much warmer. Guess it's not so unfortunate that I didn't get to swim. Just in case I didn't praise Michigan enough, though, I was kind of blown away. The region that locals call "Up North" has a Cape Cod-type feel, with lots of really nice beaches along winding local highways that run through cute resort towns.
Heh, the staring sometimes goes both ways. Back in the '80s, my family rented a house for a couple of weeks in Charlestown and one day my sister and I took a drive up the coast and happened upon Roy Carpenter's Beach in Matunuck. Closest thing to it we'd ever seen before was Hither Hills on the way out to Montauk on Long Island. Anyway, we stopped and stared and pointed "Oh, look, a resort for poor people!" I cringe now when I think about that and decades later, what I wouldn't give for a little cottage there. Well, sort of. It's a little too close quarters for me, but still there's a charm to it that was lost on me in my youth.

Yes, the Michiganders have a good thing going with their lakes. Used to work for a company headquartered in Grand Rapids and spent a little time there. Having been raised on the Sound and having spent much time by the sea in New England, I was shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED to discover that just about everyone had a boat of some sort, and some very nice ones indeed and during the summer everyone spent their weekends and holidays on the lakes. They out-nauticled my friends and family back in New England. In Michigan, depending upon where you live, summer is for boating. Autumn is for hunting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island