Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 AM

10 posts, read 10,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Try bidding on Priceline. Or do a Hotwire or Priceline "Express Deal." Pick 3+ stars anywhere in Midtown or Lower Manhattan and you'll be in a safe, walkable neighborhood with access to transit. People get nervous because you don't get the name of the hotel until after you pay (the rates are below the lowest advertised which is why they don't share), but in Manhattan at 3 stars or better, everything will be perfectly fine. It'll likely be comparatively priced to a motel 6 well outside of the city. In the last two years, I've stayed at the Sheraton Towers (4-star, right between Times Square and Central Park) for $109/night. I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Tribeca (3-star) for $99/night and I've stayed at the Hotel Fitzpatrick -Grand Central (3.5 star) for $115/night. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not at least looking into Priceline or Hotwire. In terms of price, you'll probably do better than you would on Airbnb, and you'll avoid the risks of using such a service (though I've had good experiences with airbnb).

AAA rates aren't bad (usually 5-10% or $10 off the hotel's standard best available, or "BAR" rate), but priceline is much, much better. You can do Megabus to New York for as low as $1 each way (I'd plan on $5-10 if you book at least weeks in advance and hope you stumble on a $1 rate) and a hotel IN Manhattan through priceline or Hotwire for less than you'll pay for transit and a hotel in New Jersey. Skip the guide. New York is an easy city to navigate on foot, by public transit, and by car service/cab. For car service, download the uber and lyft apps if you don't already have them. Then google promo codes for both. You can a free first ride (up to $25) on each. If you're going with a friend, that's 4 free rides. The major landmarks are pretty easy to access on your own. Half the fun of a visit to New York is wandering and finding your own spots.

I also like taking Metro North form New Haven. Worth considering though parking drives the cost up a little bit as well (I think some of the suburban stations nearby offer cheaper parking).
Thank you. Sounds good! I'll try that next time.

Finally I went with AAA and I had a great time. I was able to go to the Art Museums and I really love it! It is a great city for the arts. The hotel where I stayed was great but still I have to see much more... I didn't have time enough so next time I'll try this. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: