Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:01 AM

10 posts, read 10,316 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking to make a move from Brooklyn, NY to the Providence area in the next year and would appreciate some advice as I get to know the different neighborhoods.
We are a lesbian married couple in our late 30s with two young boys, ages 6 and 2.
So, a progressive neighborhood, LGBT friendly, where our boys won't feel ostracized is a must.
My wife and our kids are Puerto Rican, so some ethnic diversity is appreciated as well.
Decent schools are important; but decent means different things to different people and we value diversity and progressiveness over test scores.
We also VERY MUCH appreciate walkability- I'm probably spoiled from Brooklyn but I really don't want to have to get in the car for a gallon of milk. And maybe a walkable park and a few restaurants and shops would be nice as well...
Can you help me? Does this neighborhood exist? Any suggestions and comments would be very helpful!
Thanks,
Sarah Vega
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 12:05 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,703,969 times
Such neighborhoods do exist. It's not to say they come cheap, but as with many decisions they may be somewhat informed by your housing and education budget. If private schools are in the picture, you'll do very well on all fronts.

Coming from high priced NY, i'm guessing you'll be ok, but a little information on the budget front may be helpful. Much of Rhode Island is very welcoming, progressive and diverse. However, if decent public schools are a priority (as defined by an education leading to eventual success in college & life) that may dictate where you live - if you can afford it.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:12 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
Hi Sarah,

I live in the Oak Hill neighborhood of Pawtucket. It's on the border of the desirable East Side of Providence, but with bigger yards and lower prices . I know of a few lesbian couples in the neighborhood, and there are kids around your kids' age around as well. Mine are 7 and 9, and it's a great neighborhood for kids to walk or bike around by themselves. The immediate neighborhood is mostly white, but I doubt you would experience any prejudice. Pawtucket as a whole is diverse.

Our neighborhood school doesn't have a great GreatSchools!![sup]TM[/sup] ranking, but I don't know of anyone who is unhappy with the quality of education there.

There is a small park with tennis courts, basketball, and a playground in the neighborhood, and much larger Lippitt Park is right over the line in Providence. You can definitely walk to restaurants and to get milk and eggs from the convenience store or drug store. The biggest drawback is that there is no supermarket in walking distance; major grocery runs are a car or bus ride away. We do have a year round weekly farmers' market (in Lippitt Park during the summer, indoors at Hope Artiste Village during the colder months).

Old 06-20-2016, 12:15 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
What's your budget? rent or buy?

Old 06-21-2016, 06:26 AM

10 posts, read 10,316 times
Thanks! I was looking at Oak Hill.
Our budget is to buy, under 300,000... maybe rent first to feel it out.
Private schools are not in our budget!
Thanks! Any more suggestions? We will be exploring the area this summer.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:17 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
You might also look at the Elmhurst section of Providence. Look up the many past threads on these neighborhoods.

Definitely rent before buying anywhere.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:40 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,290 times
As someone who moved to Rhode Island, rented for a little more than a year, then bought, I second the recommendation to rent first. I looked at a house that was great and in my budget not long after I relocated, but buying would have been a big mistake. I didn't know at the time that the neighborhood wasn't right for me. Renting will give you time to learn about the area and figure out what you really want.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahcvega View Post
Thanks! I was looking at Oak Hill.
Our budget is to buy, under 300,000... maybe rent first to feel it out.
Private schools are not in our budget!
Thanks! Any more suggestions? We will be exploring the area this summer.
Since private schools are not in the $300,000 budget, I would suggest you look into Barrington with arguably the best public schools in the state (actually not saying a great deal for RI). There are areas of Barrington where your budget may grab a nice cottage. It is a highly progressive town where your family is likely to feel comfortable.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You might also look at the Elmhurst section of Providence. Look up the many past threads on these neighborhoods.

Definitely rent before buying anywhere.
Elmhurst is a wonderful neighborhood. Examine the public schools closely.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:12 AM

46 posts, read 41,416 times
Providence schools are pretty bad in general, and as always, you need to be aware of areas with high lead levels with kids in PVD, its in the water supply, and all over the housing stock. If you still haven't ruled out Providence after that, then Elmwood is a great area. Broad St is a walkable area with lots of Latino businesses, and Elmwood is next to Roger Williams Park. It also has great highway access, and certainly is LBGT friendly.
But again, with 2 kids, I would steer clear of Providence totally due to bad schools, lead problems, and gang issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island