Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 PM

55 posts, read 166,672 times

Advertisements

ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS OUTLINE 2007

The Point: Rhode Island's Senior Resource Page

Old 05-16-2008, 11:02 PM

10 posts, read 29,864 times
Default Welare - Vote Republican

Welfare abuse is rampant because RI allows it to happen. VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN ASSEMBLY. THE DECMOCRATS HAVE PROVEN THAT GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE RUN BY UNIONS AND SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS. THIS CURRENT ASSEMBLY SHOULD BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY. VOTE FOR REPUBLICAN GOVERNMENT TODAY!!! Governor C. has been addressing the spending issue with this assembly FOR YEARS. RI needs to get into this century and become business friendly. No one wants to do business here due to the high tax rates and high incomers evade taxes by iiving in other states for six months and one day. THE MIDDLE CLASS IS PAYING FOR EVERYONE!! The low incomers AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS get everything for free and the high incomers make sure they live elsewhere for six months and one day each years. IF YOUR MIDDLE CLASS AND LIVING IN RI, WATCH YOUR MONEY BECAUSE IT'S BE TAKEN BY YOUR RI ASSEMBLY....

VOTE REPUBLICAN AND SAVE THE BEAUTIFUL STATE OF RHODE ISLAND!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:05 PM

10 posts, read 29,864 times
Welfare abuse is rampant because RI allows it to happen. VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN ASSEMBLY. THE DECMOCRATS HAVE PROVEN THAT GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE RUN BY UNIONS AND SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS. THIS CURRENT ASSEMBLY SHOULD BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY. VOTE FOR REPUBLICAN GOVERNMENT TODAY!!! Governor C. has been addressing the spending issue with this assembly FOR YEARS. RI needs to get into this century and become business friendly. No one wants to do business here due to the high tax rates and high incomers evade taxes by iiving in other states for six months and one day. THE MIDDLE CLASS IS PAYING FOR EVERYONE!! The low incomers AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS get everything for free and the high incomers make sure they live elsewhere for six months and one day each years. IF YOUR MIDDLE CLASS AND LIVING IN RI, WATCH YOUR MONEY BECAUSE IT'S BE TAKEN BY YOUR RI ASSEMBLY....

Old 05-17-2008, 05:52 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
RIcitykid stated "People are suppose to punished to learn from their mistakes. It's like the state is applauding them for getting pregnant once again."

So, we should "punish them"? How? By not feeding, housing and clothing and the children? As far as Dominicans, I recommend you go visit the rural villages (called Campos) in the DR. You might begin to realize why the Dominican people are trying to escape the abject poverty. I spent a summer there giving free healthcare. The people are a hardworking resilient group. They celebrate life despite the living condiditons. Many of the rural communities have no running water, no access to healthcare and try to eke a living from the land. These areas still get plowed with hand driven oxen. They want a better life for their children which is pretty much what we all strive for.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:43 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joan12 View Post

This post is completely misled. The so-called 'Democratic' GA has been colluding with the Governor to cut all sorts of social services, and it isn't going to get us out of this deficit. We cannot cut our way out.

Rhode Island has a lower capital gains tax than both CT and MA, yet their economies are growing and ours is contracting at a disconcerting rate.

Meanwhile, Grandpa Don feels it necessary to award completely meaningless posts to his cronies for over 100K a year in the middle of a fiscal crisis. His hand has been caught in the cookie jar on this way too many times.

The answer is not a Republican GA. Fiscally speaking, our current GA is Democratic in name only. They vote like Republicans. Why? Because in Rhody it is far more difficult to get funded running as a Repub, so many economic conservatives run as Democrats. Just look at the leadership in the Statehouse. They not only rejected a new progressive tax plan, that would shift the burden from property taxes to capital gains, they also voted in favor of the Governor to cut the very services he indicated needed to go. So how is it their economic policies differ any from our Republican Governor? Answer: They don't!

Finally, Rhode Island is not the only state in recession. there are 8 others, and many more will soon join us. The Iraq War, our country's failing infrastructure, our record deficit; none of this can be ignored even when analyzing the economic conditions in Little Rhody.

The country is hurting right now. The LAST thing we need is more Republican style leadership.

We do have some great Democrats in the Statehouse, but until they are a large enough contingent to steer the ship of policy - nothing will change except for the worse.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,010 times
Greetings,
I have just join this site and found some of the things that were shared concerining single mothers on welfare - unfairly stated. I am a single mother would is currently recieving FIP benifits. I was injuried at work and the workers' comp. benifits are so low that I am eligable for FIP benifits. I have maintained employment since I was a teenager, which makes me a "faithful" tax payer in RI. Unfortunitly for me the injury happened after I resigned for my full time job - therefore the comp. benifits are very low. I never planned to be on welfare, however as of right now it helps me to provide for my family. I am currently a student at PC - majoring in Political Science. I look forward to returning to work (since I am accustom to work two jobs), but until the injury I suffered is resolved I must rely on the $79.00 a week in workers' comp. and the $161.00 a month from welfare.

I shared all of this to give those who speak about the issue, as if there are no single mothers who need welfare for real reasons. Frankly, I belive that this should be why welfare exist at all. Women like me may need it for short peroids of time.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 PM

774 posts, read 2,381,707 times
There are lots of reasons people might need assistance. I'm not going to go into all of them here. (physical and mental health problems are just two)

It's easy to attack people who are disadvantaged and have no voice... they don't fight back.

How about spending some energy attacking the vile corporate thieves who steal billions every year that could be going back into growing their companies and creating jobs?

The cancer and contamination needs to be attacked from the top down...

....but I doubt we'll live to see that happen.

Mikey

Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 AM

105 posts, read 302,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricitykid View Post
Many "EBT" cardholders are often seen purchasing high end food items like live seafood, high grade cuts of meat, etc and clothing.

When the average middle-class taxpayer can't afford these luxuries most of the time, then why should these people who don't work and get our tax money for nothing be able to enjoy these luxuries?

Welfare encourages people to sit at home and be lazy and not to even try look for a job. I do not believe in the concept of welfare.

If the government really wants to help these people, then instead of giving them free money, they should send these people to programs where learn how to work or get a job or just get these people a job to do.
I will tell you that I agree 100%. I worked in a supermarket for a while as a teenager and I constantly saw people on food stamps/EBT buying LOBSTER, SHRIMP, name brand items....this makes me irate!!!! I work 3 jobs, 7 days a week, and I do not remember the last time (if ever) that I have had a lobster dinner. I work my butt off just to get by, and it is ridiculous that some people can sit around not contributing to society in any positive way and just keep pumping out kids that I have to pay for. There should be restrictions on the items that you can purchase with food stamps. Such as non name brand, not high end items....if I am working and can't afford it, than they shouldn't have it either. Also, if someone needs to be on welfare (and I am sure there are some people who honestly do need it) there should be a time/money limit. They should get a certain amount of months/years, and after that amount/time has been met, sorry SHUT OFF. That would make some difference, right? Or at least would make me feel a little better about where my tax dollars are going. This topic makes me extremely angry, so I feel that I should stop here.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 AM

105 posts, read 302,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyliberty View Post
Greetings,
I have just join this site and found some of the things that were shared concerining single mothers on welfare - unfairly stated. I am a single mother would is currently recieving FIP benifits. I was injuried at work and the workers' comp. benifits are so low that I am eligable for FIP benifits. I have maintained employment since I was a teenager, which makes me a "faithful" tax payer in RI. Unfortunitly for me the injury happened after I resigned for my full time job - therefore the comp. benifits are very low. I never planned to be on welfare, however as of right now it helps me to provide for my family. I am currently a student at PC - majoring in Political Science. I look forward to returning to work (since I am accustom to work two jobs), but until the injury I suffered is resolved I must rely on the $79.00 a week in workers' comp. and the $161.00 a month from welfare.

I shared all of this to give those who speak about the issue, as if there are no single mothers who need welfare for real reasons. Frankly, I belive that this should be why welfare exist at all. Women like me may need it for short peroids of time.

I am sorry to hear of your injury. I am more than happy to help some in your situation who deserves and needs assistance. It is nice to know that my tax dollars are helping someone who really does need and deserve it. It is unfortunate that there are others, not like you, who choose to abuse the system and that angers me. Good luck to you in pursuing your Political Science major and your wish to return back to work.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,106 times
Angry Offended

no offense??? yes I take alot of OFFENSE!!!! that your singling out a certain group of people cause of their race on taking welfare. HELLOOOOO wake up and smell the coffee all people WHITE, BLACK, HISPANIC, ASIAN, PURPLE, GREEN, FLORESCENT are on welfare. you just choose to notice the dominicans. I am a 35 year old dominican and I have worked since I was 15 yrs old. Yes I was on welfare once with my husband cause we went thru a hard time, he lost his job we have kids blah blah blah but we are both hard working DOMINICANS and are not currently receiving welfare. The government is so kind to help us with health insurance cause I have 4 kids and NO I did not have 4 kids so I can milk the government. Yes I agree something needs to be done about the way the government handles the welfare system but don't single out a certain race of people that is not fair and not right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island