Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:35 AM

108 posts, read 181,865 times

Advertisements

Hollytree - thanks for posting. That was a great read. I am not surprised to see that the east side is going gangbusters. On my side of the highway it's been noticeably hot market too. I've seen the last 3 houses in the n'hood go under contract in like a week. I have 2 different friends that are actively trying to buy in the armory/Broadway area and it's so tight with supply that places are scooped up fast. If it's like this on the West side I cannot even fathom the competition on the east side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:51 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
I mean the size of RI compared to CT understand why it feels crowded.

Will say even though they lack lots of forest/big park areas like CT. They have a decent amount of farm land.

In addition to, I think RI is a beautiful State compared to CT. Not sure if that holds up. CT feels gritty and industrial with empty factories/buildings.

RI has what I feel some of the best beaches in New England.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:08 PM

55 posts, read 51,576 times
How do able is the commute to Boston for work from Rhode Island on public transit or commuter train.?

How is the area for singles? Festivals in the summer and General fun activities?

Old 05-14-2017, 09:40 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlady16 View Post
How do able is the commute to Boston for work from Rhode Island on public transit or commuter train.?
From where? Rhode Island may be small, but it's big enough that the commute to Boston is a lot more tolerable from some places than others.

Really, it all depends on what your level of tolerance is. There's one express train every morning into Boston. It's not the only train, but it's the one I (and probably most others) always target. Gets into South Station at 8:16. From Wickford Junction, it'll take you a painful hour and 40 minutes; from TF Green, it's an hour 25; from Providence, you're talking a more-manageable hour. (One of the great mysteries of life is why there's 25 minutes separating TF Green and Providence when it would take you 10 minutes to drive the same distance.) The Providence station is one of the busiest in the MBTA Commuter Rail network, I believe, so plenty of people find it acceptable.

If you're in the northern part of the state, depending on where exactly you are, you can also realistically drive to Massachusetts stations for shorter commutes.

Quote:
How is the area for singles? Festivals in the summer and General fun activities?
I've never been single here, but there are loads of activities in the state, particularly in the summer. Seems like there's always something going on.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:29 AM

325 posts, read 311,829 times
No, not vice versa. Rhode Island is the butt of EVERY state's jokes. I'm gonna give you one piece of advice kid, and you'll never get any better. DO NOT MOVE TO RHODE ISLAND WITHOUT HAVING A JOB FIRST. The job market as well as the economy in general is extremely stagnant. If you find that Rhode Island suits you, then welcome aboard. But remember, GET THE JOB FIRST. Oh, and make sure your car's suspension is functioning properly.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:44 AM

156 posts, read 438,985 times
Quote:
If you live in the northern part of the Rhode Island taking the train from a Massachusetts stop is easy and reliable. I live in the North End of Providence and it only takes me about 7 minutes in the morning to get to the South Attleboro train station. From there, the express trains get you to Back Bay in about 50 minutes.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:55 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
A lot of people also live downtown in the high rises and commute from there- walk to train station. More of these units are currently being built as well.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvdjames View Post
Hollytree - thanks for posting. That was a great read. I am not surprised to see that the east side is going gangbusters. On my side of the highway it's been noticeably hot market too. I've seen the last 3 houses in the n'hood go under contract in like a week. I have 2 different friends that are actively trying to buy in the armory/Broadway area and it's so tight with supply that places are scooped up fast. If it's like this on the West side I cannot even fathom the competition on the east side of town.
This quote from last year is even more true this year. Demand for houses to buy (and for rentals as well) is very high. It's definitely a seller's market in most areas of the state this Spring.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:45 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvdjames View Post
Red Hot RI Real Estate Sellers Markets: Spring 2017
Jamestown (average prices up an incredible 160% over 2016)
Providence Armory/West Broadway
Providence East Side
Pawtuxet Village
Newport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island