Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 04:18 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

This has now been completed and will be up and running very soon.

Can Block Islanders see the turbines?? Has anyone been there recently??

Just wondering... the picture makes it look like you can see them all offshore????

Block Island Wind Farm - Deepwater Wind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 06:42 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
I went today! The turbines were very prominent from the ferry as we approached the island, but I didn't notice them at all once we were on island. Maybe I just wasn't in the right place -- I imagine there are spots where they'd be highly visible.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 PM

Thanks- interesting. I know a lot of people were opposed to these because they thought the views would be spoiled. It would be of interest to see from what vantage points they are visible.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:33 PM

683 posts, read 834,565 times
They looked beautiful when I saw them from the ferry going out to Block Island. Didn't look for them on the island. Our culture...is so crazy. What about the ugliness of I-95 dividing the state and our cities? What about the breakwater protecting Block Islands boats. Both are ugly...but are necessary.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 AM

I personally don't find a few wind turbines offensive but I don't think objecting to ugly industrial objects is at all crazy.

Most would rather buy a house with a nice view of the water rather than a nice view of the cooling towers in Fall River, Ma, or of the dump in Johnston.

Industrial design of all kinds has a long way to go to achieve beauty and designers need to work on that idea. Necessary can be beautiful.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
It's a matter of personal taste, but I also found the turbines to be attractive. On land, they can be a mixed bag -- sometimes they can look very nice, sometimes not so much, depending on the setting -- but out on the water, they looked great.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
The five new Block Island wind turbines are highly visible from Southeast Lighthouse and from the beach at Mohegan Bluffs, as well as from private property in the immediate area of these points of reference.

I don't find them attractive like classically styled windmills. I know the trend in current wind turbine/windmill design tries to maximize efficiency and minimize build cost, but I wonder if designers couldn't strike some better balance between efficiency and aesthetics. I most certainly support wind energy, but I also think wind energy projects must also take both aesthetic considerations and the welfare of songbirds into account when designing and deploying them. We are not up the learning curve yet.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:18 AM

Interesting. Do you have a vision for how they should look?

It's kind of hard to imagine how they could be redesigned since it's such a mechanical object. Even a Dyson's fan sort of thing would still involve a giant lollipop shape.

Enormous sunflowers??? ha ha.... big blue wavy arms?????

Maybe emit some ultrasonic sound that would warn birds???

Old 09-03-2016, 09:04 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Aesthetics are subjective, of course, but modern wind turbines are designed with a maximum efficiency of materials meaning the only way to substantively change their appearence for aesthetic purposes is to add bulk to them or paint them thus bringing more attention to them.

I basically consider them an eyesore and don't like their impact on wildlife (though I suppose the submerged parts may actually be good for marine life), but ultimately I think the minimalist/functionalist approach is best for these things, in my opinion.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Birds generally have a similar hearing spectra to humans, so ultrasonics probably aren't a solution. But maybe lights would work to scare away birds.

Surface coloration might be one way to improve the aesthetics but changing the shape of the towers themselves could have an aesthetic impact. Look at the variation in street lamp posts for an example of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island