Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:37 PM

4,435 posts, read 3,219,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^

LOL !! to all of the above, nothing but drivel. Newcomers to the area don't want to be directed to YOUR piece of paradise. They want options, choices and varied unbiased opinions, not necessarily to live where you live.

And how do you know I'm not sitting on someone's deck right now in Dean Estates. Here's looking at'ch'ya.
I agree, they want options. Ormari wasn't directing the poster to his version of paradise, because his version of paradise is Providence, not Cranston. He provided answers in Cranston.

Really, this board would be such a happier place if everyone responded without getting all judgemental about the other posters and their responses. We should try it sometime!

Edgewood is nice. Pawtuxet Village is nice. Dean Estates is very nice and Garden City can be nice - it all depends what a person is looking for. There's no one-size-fits-all answer, nor any "right" answer. I don't feel like the original poster really gave us enough detail to make a determination. If he wants to be able to walk to restaurants, than I would say Pawtuxet Village fits the bill or Knightsville. If he doesn't care whether not he has to drive, any will do - but most of Cranston offers little in the way of the arts, except Theatre 82, the Artists Exchange, the Park Theatre and a few things like that. Providence or Newport would better serve someone looking for a healthy arts scene.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-17-2017 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: discuss the topic, not other posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM

3,853 posts, read 2,725,132 times
Quote:
^^^

LOL !! to all of the above, nothing but drivel. Newcomers to the area don't want to be directed to YOUR piece of paradise. They want options, choices and varied unbiased opinions, not necessarily to live where you live.
Weird, that's not what I wrote. A question was posed about Edgewood, and I answered it. I did not try to direct them to Providence. Maybe you are having vision difficulties? Get somebody to read my post to you if need be...

Quote:
And how do you know I'm not sitting on someone's deck right now in Dean Estates. Here's looking at'ch'ya.
I assure you, I'm not hanging out in the insipid mediocrity of Dean Estates architecture.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-17-2017 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well I'm headed over that way tomorrow afternoon, so if any updates need to be made I'll be sure to keep the forum privy.
Didn't notice any major changes. Still nice over by the water, but hit or miss otherwise. Park Ave. is looking very rough. Broad St. just over the boarder in Providence still looks like a war zone. So my advice still holds. If I were buying in Cranston (and willing to put up with the taxes and all) I would give myself a couple miles buffer, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Are you finally thinking of relocating to RI?
No.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Quote:
I assure you, I'm not hanging out in the insipid mediocrity of Dean Estates architecture.
That's funny, there was recently a discussion over on the MA forum regarding the virtues of mid-century architecture. I myself think it's quite a bit underrated, given its classy appearance and typically high quality construction. From what I recall, Dean Estates has quite a bit of this. Of course it has your typical split levels thrown in there as well...

Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
That's funny, there was recently a discussion over on the MA forum regarding the virtues of mid-century architecture. I myself think it's quite a bit underrated, given its classy appearance and typically high quality construction. From what I recall, Dean Estates has quite a bit of this. Of course it has your typical split levels thrown in there as well...
While Dean Estates isn't everybody's cup of tea, some of it's 1960s-70s architecture is high quality with an LA/West Coast vibe. What used to pass for Cranston high-style decades ago, is now considered dated. However, I do see Dean Estates making a comeback because of its location, but at a lower price point. It wears itself considerable better than the less fortunate high-end Western Cranston developments of the late 70s-90s. These big, poorly designed McMansions are a real tough sell today.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,009,063 times
Why do you want to retire to RI???

Odd choice.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
While Dean Estates isn't everybody's cup of tea, some of it's 1960s-70s architecture is high quality with an LA/West Coast vibe. What used to pass for Cranston high-style decades ago, is now considered dated. However, I do see Dean Estates making a comeback because of its location, but at a lower price point. It wears itself considerable better than the less fortunate high-end Western Cranston developments of the late 70s-90s. These big, poorly designed McMansions are a real tough sell today.
Yes, it has a west coast vibe, because the atrocity that is known as mid-century modern (well the 60s construction at least, 70s is debatable) largely is a west-coast phenomenon. The marketing of mid-century modern as "hip" has been going on out west for several years now. It was marketing born out of necessity, as lots of that garbage is strewn about west coast cities, and you've got to move those properties somehow. But it's all lipstick on a pig.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Didn't notice any major changes. Still nice over by the water, but hit or miss otherwise. Park Ave. is looking very rough. Broad St. just over the boarder in Providence still looks like a war zone. So my advice still holds. If I were buying in Cranston (and willing to put up with the taxes and all) I would give myself a couple miles buffer, at least.
Over the border, Broad Street in Providence does not look like a war zone to me. I have no idea why you would say that.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:28 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Yes, it has a west coast vibe, because the atrocity that is known as mid-century modern (well the 60s construction at least, 70s is debatable) largely is a west-coast phenomenon. The marketing of mid-century modern as "hip" has been going on out west for several years now. It was marketing born out of necessity, as lots of that garbage is strewn about west coast cities, and you've got to move those properties somehow. But it's all lipstick on a pig.
Well, that's one point of view! Another is that mid-century architecture, when well executed, represents an authentic design & historic style. That it may have started on the West Coast or be considered hip in the early 21st century is not of itself a dis-qualifier. Interesting you find 70s architecture "debatable." I find little of architectural value to recommend the decade. It generally exemplifies a regrettable era of cheap domestic construction which brought us such eyesores as the "contemporary", "split level" and "raised ranch".

Old 04-18-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Well, that's one point of view! Another is that mid-century architecture, when well executed, represents an authentic design & historic style. That it may have started on the West Coast or be considered hip in the early 21st century is not of itself a dis-qualifier. Interesting you find 70s architecture "debatable." I find little of architectural value to recommend the decade. It generally exemplifies a regrettable era of cheap domestic construction which brought us such horrors as the "contemporary", "split level" and "raised ranch".
What I mean is, I find 70s construction to have tenuous status as architecture at all! I was attempting to convey that I don't think of the 70s construction as being part of the mid-century modern movement.

Carboard boxes are an authentic design and style too, but there is no call to glorify them as architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island