Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:36 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,728,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
What I mean is, I find 70s construction to have tenuous status as architecture at all! I was attempting to convey that I don't think of the 70s construction as being part of the mid-century modern movement.

Carboard boxes are a style too, but there is no call to glorify them as architecture.
Is it the lack of ornament you find so offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:57 PM

9,331 posts, read 14,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
While Dean Estates isn't everybody's cup of tea, some of it's 1960s-70s architecture is high quality with an LA/West Coast vibe. What used to pass for Cranston high-style decades ago, is now considered dated. However, I do see Dean Estates making a comeback because of its location, but at a lower price point. It wears itself considerable better than the less fortunate high-end Western Cranston developments of the late 70s-90s. These big, poorly designed McMansions are a real tough sell today.
Dean Estates doesn't need to make a comeback. It's been holding its value well and prices are rising as they are throughout the state. Inventory is incredibly low. There's only roughly 8 properties for sale there right now and half of those are pending.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:59 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,730,213 times
About a third of my extended family lives in Cranston and always has. Residents who live on the western side of town (i.e., west of I-295), especially those who have always lived there, typically have very low opinions of the eastern side of town, which is older, denser, lower-income and more diverse.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,582,598 times
Quote:
Over the border, Broad Street in Providence does not look like a war zone to me. I have no idea why you would say that.
It's all about 'frame of reference'.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 PM

23,757 posts, read 18,872,156 times
Quote:
Yes, it has a west coast vibe, because the atrocity that is known as mid-century modern (well the 60s construction at least, 70s is debatable) largely is a west-coast phenomenon. The marketing of mid-century modern as "hip" has been going on out west for several years now. It was marketing born out of necessity, as lots of that garbage is strewn about west coast cities, and you've got to move those properties somehow. But it's all lipstick on a pig.

Not sure what you are talking about. They were built to last, are extremely functional, and very nice when properly updated. Like another poster said, Dean Estates is still very desirable. It may be considered "dated" by some, but before we know it they will be "hip" again.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
It's all about 'frame of reference'.
Exactly. One person in the vehicle who had never seen that part of Providence before, said all they could think of was the movie "8 Mile".

Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,728,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Dean Estates doesn't need to make a comeback. It's been holding its value well and prices are rising as they are throughout the state. Inventory is incredibly low. There's only roughly 8 properties for sale there right now and half of those are pending.
I like Dean Estates, but its relative values have not returned to the highs of 2005-06. Western Cranston McMansion neighborhoods are doing even worse. However, the good news is Edgewood, Pawtuxet & even Garden City now exceed those 2006 highs. As for Dean Estates low inventories, nothing exceptional there, they are very low thru out the state. It's a sellers market most everywhere this spring.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:46 AM

3,853 posts, read 2,729,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Exactly. One person in the vehicle who had never seen that part of Providence before, said all they could think of was the movie "8 Mile".
I have never seen the movie, so your reference is lost on me.

I'm skeptical that you went to Providence at all during your visit to our fair state. In your thread searching for a spot to have Easter Dinner, you searched for a dinner spot within 10 miles of Smithfield, thereby excluding all the great Providence restaurants. But we are supposed to believe you made the trip to scope out Edgewood and Washington Park? Pfft. Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 AM

3,853 posts, read 2,729,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Is it the lack of ornament you find so offensive?
That's one reason, but not the only one.

Stylistic considerations aside, as a general rule the Mid Century Modern houses I am familiar with on the west coast were not at as well built as earlier houses, and that is true whether the development was high or low end. It has been argued that the simplicity of the style was born out of a drive for construction time, material, and cost savings, and the designs allowed for lower-skilled carpenters to be utilized. Additionally, post World War II, sheetrock replaced plaster for additional labor savings with the tradeoff that it is an inferior product. However, given that Rhode Island would have had a greater population of skilled plasterers, perhaps the mid century modern structures constructed locally might have continued to utilize plaster for some time…

Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I'm skeptical that you went to Providence at all during your visit to our fair state. In your thread searching for a spot to have Easter Dinner, you searched for a dinner spot within 10 miles of Smithfield, thereby excluding all the great Providence restaurants. But we are supposed to believe you made the trip to scope out Edgewood and Washington Park? Pfft. Pictures, or it didn't happen.
Hate to break it to you buddy, but I do not feel the need to share personal details of my weekend nor the circumstances around it. As though I would take photos of the Broad St. hood, LOL. What do you want me to post my phone records as well, so you can see everywhere I traveled in the past week? If you are that interested in my life, perhaps we can grab a beer (or coffee) next time I am in the area. But quite frankly, I have not found the need to "prove" anything to you (an anonymous poster) on a public forum such as this. I can assure you I was everywhere I said I was, and I am not going to engage in this foolishness with you today. It is the OP's job to sift through posts and decide which ones hold merit, or which ones are more personal interest serving. Good day.

Last edited by massnative71; 04-19-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island