Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 2,429 times

Advertisements

I am unemployed, broke, and poor. My parents forced me to buy a car when I was on a temp job and I didn't want a car. My entire savings is gone because of that car and other things my parents did to ruin my finances. So now that all my savings have hemorrhaged to $0, I am on government assistance. I can't make the payments for the car tax that's coming up, or my auto insurance bill. My auto insurance charges me one grand a year when I don't even drive 2,000 miles a year. I am not paying $0.50 a mile if not $1.00 per mile for car insurance. And I'm unable to pay a the car tax that kicks in this year. There should be an exemption for the poor but like everything in American, the government screws the poor but hand everything to the rich, corporations, and tax dollars sent to cushion the lives of the Israelis. Sorry if what I said isn't politically correct or hurts your pristine view that America is a paradise for everyone BUT it's not my paradise when the jobs have completely went away and minimum wage doesn't cut it.

4-year degree in business
GPA in the top 10%
No criminal record
Excellent credit score (about to change because of that car, not the loan but the addition expenses)

What am I to do?

Sell back the car and be unable to get another one? It has a 0% interest loan. They will only sell to buyers who have jobs and interest rates are going up.

Or default on the auto taxes which will stick around forever until repaid and auto insurance if the insurance company refuses to lower my insurance to a reasonable amount of miles for what I drive.

I can only repay credit cards once my auto loan is paid. I finished hemorrhaging every last cent on that car, insurance, and more.

It's possible I can keep afloat maybe one more year and pay the taxes but not renew my auto insurance. My registration comes up for renewal in January 2018 so I can't have an outstanding balance. Then whatever happens in 2018 could happen.

I don't see a good outcome remaining unless my parents are able to pitch in since they forced me to get that car. I told them I didn't want to buy a car until I had a permanent job but they always find a way to ruin my life. At the time my dad said if I didn't buy a car I would be thrown out of the house.

I'll probably have to ruin my excellent credit score by defaulting on my taxes and not renew my insurance. But then I'll not be able to get a new license or registration in 2018, but that's more money I don't have now, so I guess I will need to give up the car. Giving up the car means I threw away $11,000 in bill payments, insurance, down payment and still have a loan balance but it would allow me to maintain my finances and not default on anything but it would keep my credit score well.

However, my parents especially my dad wouldn't be happy about that. But there's no mathematical way I can keep the car at this point. I knew this would happen at the very beginning. I couldn't pay all the bills of a car unless I had a good job and I got the cheapest new car possible. But they didn't care about me wanting to be financially responsible, it's like he had a gun to my head and forced me to buy it under duress. So now the metaphorical financial roosters are coming home to roost this year.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 AM

210 posts, read 276,417 times
Grow up go to work doing anything, wash dishes, mow lawns you are the problem, repeat you are the problem. You are on public assistance? Why? Stand on a street corner with a cardboard sign that says: "will work for food or unemployed need assistance." Usually this can make you as much as $200 a day, no one is judged poorly for asking for help if the need is genuine. A business degree and no prospects, why? You are the problem, go to work! Get off public assistance! Once again go to work, you are the problem! Stay off the Internet unless you are pursuing a job. Once you get a job do your very best every day and every morning you wake up, tell yourself I am lovable! Get out of that house. 10 years from now you will be proud of yourself! Today is just a bump on your highway of life! You are not alone, many face daily your circumstance with none of the resources you have, best of all a fine intellect! :-)

Last edited by Fiber Guy; 03-21-2017 at 07:59 AM..

Old 03-27-2017, 03:46 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,522,642 times
Is this the Dear Abby site?

Old 03-27-2017, 04:18 PM

467 posts, read 353,289 times
Stick around for better advice than I can give, but I'll pose two points for cogitation (yours) or discussion (others').

Why do you need a good credit score? I would think that that is THE one thing you don't need.

i wonder whether there is any other interpretation or exculpatory background information that would negate the claim that your parents "forced" you to buy a car. Possibly I'm out of touch with present reality, but that somehow seems the last thing that parents would ordinarily do.

??

Old 04-02-2017, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 2,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Stick around for better advice than I can give, but I'll pose two points for cogitation (yours) or discussion (others').

Why do you need a good credit score? I would think that that is THE one thing you don't need.

i wonder whether there is any other interpretation or exculpatory background information that would negate the claim that your parents "forced" you to buy a car. Possibly I'm out of touch with present reality, but that somehow seems the last thing that parents would ordinarily do.

??
You don't know my parents. They aren't the most financially smart or wise people. I didn't want to buy the car but they forced me to buy it under duress.

Either I was to buy the car or get kicked out of the home with nowhere to go. They didn't care it was a Temp Job.

I asked the car insurance to lower my rates because I don't drive even 3,000 miles per year anymore. The best they could do is lower the next 6-month payment by $4.00. I'm definitely not paying my auto insurance since it's not tied to my credit score. Unless my parents want to help me, my auto insurance is the first bill I'm letting drop because it doesn't effect my credit score.

The next bill I'll let drop is my car's property tax. Ultimately I won't be able to get a new license or new registration but I'll probably make enough of the payments allowing me to renew it then let it go into default.

Why would the excellent credit score be the one thing I don't need? I need the excellent credit score if I'm in America.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:10 AM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Have you shopped around for a different insurance quote? You might get a much lower bill elsewhere. Or if you are not going to use the car at all, pay for a non operational permit & park it in the garage. Sell it as soon as you can. Learn to say no to your parents, if you feel it is not the right choice for you.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:25 AM

72 posts, read 69,681 times
You're required to maintain auto insurance if your vehicle is registered. Being canceled for non-payment will affect your ability to obtain auto insurance in the future (aka you will be forced to pay higher premiums and put down larger deposit).

Apply anywhere and everywhere.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_One View Post
...tax dollars sent to cushion the lives of the Israelis.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:04 PM

467 posts, read 353,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_One View Post
Why would the excellent credit score be the one thing I don't need? I need the excellent credit score if I'm in America.
Illegal aliens are in America. Some of them don't have excellent credit scores.

AFAIK, what you need an excellent credit score for is to borrow money. It doesn't sound to me like borrowing money is something you should be aspiring to at this point in your life.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,683,188 times
OP. I believe your situation is outside the scope of what's normally discussed on a state forum. I don't believe it's specific to Rhode Island, at all and more of an issue between you and your parents.

We do have a Personal Finance subforum on this site: //www.city-data.com/forum/personal-finance/. Perhaps those posters might have some other suggestions for you.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island