Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 05:03 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742
What is insane about it? It's an hour or so, which is a fairly standard urban commute, and you don't have to drive.
Oh, I'd consider it a great commute...I was just thinking philosophically...time vs. money. I don't know anybody who wouldn't want a shorter commute.

So if there are waiting lists for luxury apartments - what's the problem with this building to help ease capacity?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:22 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
That's not what I meant. I like city living and I meant to say that you get to live in a city and not a suburb for the same commute time so in that sense that seems appealing.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:28 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Oh, I'd consider it a great commute...I was just thinking philosophically...time vs. money. I don't know anybody who wouldn't want a shorter commute.

So if there are waiting lists for luxury apartments - what's the problem with this building to help ease capacity?
I think some people try to characterize it as an either or proposition. Either important buildings (Superman Bldg.) downtown get developed or something new gets built. This isn't necessarily the case. Mr. Fain has no interest in the Superman Building. If he doesn't build his tower, he moves on. As for public subsidy, they seem to be asking for no more than is granted to anyone who develops the parcel. I'm sure if the Superman Building could be developed as luxury apartments/condos WITH PARKING, it would attract the same buyer/renter attention as a new tower.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:53 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I think it's a cool looking building. Early 21st Century architecture and it makes the city look modern and vibrant.

I bet you'll be able to see clean across Rhode Island in any direction and all the way to Canada from the top of that building. That could be a great place to impress your friends and family when they visit from out of town. All they need to do is put a good restaraunt on the top floor. Could be a real real money maker.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-28-2017 at 07:01 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 08:20 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Quote:

There is no waiting list for luxury apartments. They are readily available... if one can afford them!

Old 07-28-2017, 04:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I always get a good laugh when Bostonites call the city of Providence a "suburb of Boston".
finally something we can agree on!

Old 07-28-2017, 04:03 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
There is no waiting list for luxury apartments. They are readily available... if one can afford them!
no, there is a waiting list and many can afford them.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
no, there is a waiting list and many can afford them.
Both Waterplace buildings are condo.

You must be thinking about Avalon Center Place. Those are rentals. They have both 1 br and 2 br units currently available.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:57 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
However, there are many buyers waiting for condos to become available at Water Place & The Residences. They want specific floors, size & views.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:45 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Would anyone care to address this issue from an aesthetic point of view in terms of city planning?

Even if a tower of luxury condos would fill up, I'm sure a 60 or a 100 story section unit of Section 8 would fill up much faster.
City planning is not just about money.

The issue to me, is to get buildings that fit into the historic fabric of downtown, don't spoil views of those already established there, address the unique nature of our city, don't cut off our waterfront, and which don't turn us into a generic downtown of skyscrapers. Look at Hartford for example. A once proud and vibrant downtown- now a virtual ghost town. Look at the history of the Fall River waterfront after they built the enormous waterfront units. They did not do themselves any favors. And let's not forget that Benefit Street- one of our most famous tourist draws- was once slated to be torn down and replaced by a string of high rises. Had that come to pass, it would have destroyed the city forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island