Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:38 AM

372 posts, read 576,252 times

Advertisements

I'm back for my 3rd visit in 3 years, with a friend who accompanied me on my first trip in 2013.

We're enjoying the weather, the scenery, the food, and the friendly people here.
Just about everyone we've run across has been smiling and pleasant.

We've also been impressed and surprised at how many people will stop and let us pull out into traffic. Granted, we're staying off the interstates and out of the way as much as we can while enjoying the scenery and slower pace of the state highways. Still, sometimes we've needed to merge or make a turn onto a street, and people have been cooperative, stopping to let us in.

I just wanted to stop in and let you all know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
It's always nice to get the perspective of a visitor! Let us know more about what you think about the attractions you've been visiting.

I've often thought that RI drivers are some of the most courteous I've encountered and I've lived in a number of other states. They generally yield to pedestrians and are often courteous to other drivers. I think it's because our roadways are sometimes so small and narrow. This doesn't apply to I95 and the major roads- I'm talking in town. When I don't get the courtesy, I look at the plate and it's usually some one from Massachusetts.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:55 AM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
Glad you're enjoying your visit. Other than being a little too warm for October (for me anyway), the weather has been spectacular. Enjoy the rest of your visit :-)

Old 10-13-2017, 07:08 AM

325 posts, read 311,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
It's always nice to get the perspective of a visitor! Let us know more about what you think about the attractions you've been visiting.

I've often thought that RI drivers are some of the most courteous I've encountered and I've lived in a number of other states. They generally yield to pedestrians and are often courteous to other drivers. I think it's because our roadways are sometimes so small and narrow. This doesn't apply to I95 and the major roads- I'm talking in town. When I don't get the courtesy, I look at the plate and it's usually some one from Massachusetts.
Massachusetts, huh? Whenever I see a car with the taillights hanging out and the muffler broken off, it's ALWAYS from Rhode Island.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Do cemeteries count as attractions? :-)

We started at the Scituate Art Festival, since I'd met some people there in Scituate on my last trip out. That was a nice event.

I have family buried in the churchyard there, and I also discovered the other day that one of my new friends and her daughter are also my cousins. In fact, I'm going back over next week so they can take me to another cemetery where our mutual grandmother is buried.

I like that part of the state very much, but I also really love Aquidneck Island. We went up into Portsmouth yesterday--stunning views! We also hit 3rd and 2nd beaches and thought those were beautiful. We're driving around more today before we head to boulevardofdef's home turf later today to visit Wickford, Narragansett, just wherever the roads we want to meander will take us.

We just like to look at your beautiful scenery and beautiful beaches.

Oh, and eat lobster rolls and clear chowder and Cupcake Charlie's fare.
I hope my plane can get off the ground on my return flight.
Attached Thumbnails
We're enjoying our visit to the Ocean State-img_5671.jpg  

Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I've been on a lobster roll binge this year as well. I know lobster itself is low in calories but by the time you've added the butter and the dill sauce well then......... but it's incredible......

The East Bay (Tiverton, Bristol, Little Compton...) is gorgeous as well if you have time to get past Portsmouth.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I've been on a lobster roll binge this year as well. I know lobster itself is low in calories but by the time you've added the butter and the dill sauce well then......... but it's incredible......

The East Bay (Tiverton, Bristol, Little Compton...) is gorgeous as well if you have time to get past Portsmouth.
We drove through Tiverton coming here from Cape Cod. That was at the end of the day so we didn't look around.

I will be here a couple of days longer than my friend, who leaves Sunday.
I could get over to Bristol after I drop her off at PVD (great airport!).

Old 10-13-2017, 08:30 AM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
I love cemeteries. You HAVE to check out Swan Point Cemetery in Providence. If your down by the beaches, check out Matunuk Oyster Bar ... you won't be disappointed.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:23 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
FYI: A lot of cemeteries have many of their burial plots listed on findagrave.com. It has individual records and burial locations for the deceased with sometimes person and gravesite photos along with links to other deceased relatives. If you are doing any genealogy research, check it out as it is an excellent database of information. I have set up six generations of my deceased family members on it with all of them linked to one another.

Last edited by MMS02760; 10-13-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
I love cemeteries. You HAVE to check out Swan Point Cemetery in Providence. If your down by the beaches, check out Matunuk Oyster Bar ... you won't be disappointed.
Thanks!

We visited Swan Point and Riverside, looking for relatives from FindaGrave. I'm pretty active on that site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island