Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM

14 posts, read 42,320 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I grew up in a small town (population 3,500) in CT and moved 4 years ago to where he was stationed in the military in VA Beach. Now he's a law enforcement officer and we're looking to move back to the northeast to a smaller, more family-oriented place...Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, MAYBE parts of east-central New York and MAYBE parts of southern New Hampshire. Here are our desired specifics:

1. Between rural and suburban, not too bare but not too industrial.
2. Good schools.
3. A nice downtown with some little shops/cafes/restaurants.
4. Roads that can be walked by us and/or our children ultimately without fear.
5. Must be NO more than 2 hours from Chester, Deep River, Essex CT area.
6. A good family town with nice neighborhoods.
7. Decent, newer houses that are under $400k.
8. Preferably within 20-30 minutes of a bigger town/city that my fiance can work in that's not TOO dangerous, but with plenty for him to do.

I know what you're thinking...this is probably hard to find, but if anyone has any info that might help me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM

67 posts, read 266,898 times
Lucky you! I'm from RI, but have been here in Va beach for years, I'd love to go back (or think I would) but don't think it's in the cards for me. As far as RI goes, I would suggest Narragansett, East Greenwich, or Barrington, although all will be very pricey, worth it though in my opinion when you think of the better school systems, lower crime etc. I adore all of RI though (or, rather, most of it) and still miss it terribly. There are lots of other great towns in the state but those are the onese I am most familiar with. I know there are also towns like what you describe in Mass, CT and NH, though I can't give you any first hand knowledge, good luck!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 PM

7 posts, read 23,102 times
Hi,
We have been living in Westerly for 7 years now. We actually lived here for a year, moved for a job, and moved back. It is a great place to live and the town has made many improvements over the past 7 years that we've lived here.

Heather

Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,650 times
Scituate RI is a very friendly town with a quaint downtown. A Post Office, bank, Mc Donald's, Local IGA grocery store. Job Lot, and a few pizza and sandwich shops a country restauraunt(Gentlemen's Farmer). It has great schools, beautiful neighborhoods, and a strong sense of community. It's located only 15 miles from downtown Providence. Taxes are better here than many other locations in RI and it's a very SAFE town- extremely family oriented.
Patty

Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 AM

67 posts, read 517,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneConstance View Post
My fiance and I grew up in a small town (population 3,500) in CT and moved 4 years ago to where he was stationed in the military in VA Beach. Now he's a law enforcement officer and we're looking to move back to the northeast to a smaller, more family-oriented place...Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, MAYBE parts of east-central New York and MAYBE parts of southern New Hampshire. Here are our desired specifics:

1. Between rural and suburban, not too bare but not too industrial.
2. Good schools.
3. A nice downtown with some little shops/cafes/restaurants.
4. Roads that can be walked by us and/or our children ultimately without fear.
5. Must be NO more than 2 hours from Chester, Deep River, Essex CT area.
6. A good family town with nice neighborhoods.
7. Decent, newer houses that are under $400k.
8. Preferably within 20-30 minutes of a bigger town/city that my fiance can work in that's not TOO dangerous, but with plenty for him to do.

I know what you're thinking...this is probably hard to find, but if anyone has any info that might help me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
I think you just described East Greenwich, RI. You might have some problems with item #7, tho.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 12,526 times
Westerly is a great location. Right off the main highway (I-95), near beaches, and right on the state line of Connecticut. Narragansett is okay but it's not very accessible to a 95 and the ride to Connecticut isn't as easy as Westerly. But they are both good locations

Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janagrsa View Post
Hi,
We have been living in Westerly for 7 years now. We actually lived here for a year, moved for a job, and moved back. It is a great place to live and the town has made many improvements over the past 7 years that we've lived here.

Heather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
Westerly is a great location. Right off the main highway (I-95), near beaches, and right on the state line of Connecticut. Narragansett is okay but it's not very accessible to a 95 and the ride to Connecticut isn't as easy as Westerly. But they are both good locations
Here's a third vote for Westerly. We kind of "got lost" trying to get from Mystic, CT to Newport, RI, and we ended up doing a little bit of unplanned exploring through the town of Westerly, and it seemed like a wonderful, wholesome community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island