Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 11:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times

Advertisements

friend of mine might get a job in Fall River, MA and we kinda found out the place is as bad as Detroit.

I'm wondering if East Providence would be a safe location for her.

it would only be a 20 min commute so not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 02:36 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times
You are way off the mark of thinking Fall River is akin to Detroit. I live in R.I. and worked in Fall River for 20 years before taking a job in Providence which is where I met my late husband who lived in the Highlands section of Fall River his entire life prior moving in with me when we married. Being pretty familiar with every inch of Fall River where I still have many friends and family that live there, an although it does have some low income housing projects scattered across the city I can't think of one area I would consider being a slum or would avoid driving through in the dark and I am a 60 year old woman.

If tomorrow I returned to work in Fall River as a renter I would most certainly rent in Fall River before East Providence which I find nothing appealing about that would sway me to consider living there unless I worked there and wanted to reduce my commute to work. And additionally having to face driving over the Braga Bridge or the formerly known as Brightman Street Bridge in snow and ice which can't be avoided driving in from East Providence which I did more times than I can count can be a white knuckle experience.

If your friend is trying to avoid living in a city type environment, although rentals are certainly less abundant than in East Providence or Fall River they should explore the Fall River border towns of Somerset and Swansea. And if they want to avoid driving over either bridge to get into the city Westport and Tiverton, R.I. are options to consider.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:46 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
friend of mine might get a job in Fall River, MA and we kinda found out the place is as bad as Detroit.

I'm wondering if East Providence would be a safe location for her.

it would only be a 20 min commute so not bad.
You're getting incorrect information. Fall River is not Detroit in any meaningful way. While there are challenging areas of E. Providence & Fall River, both places have many safe locations to live. The Fall River Highlands neighborhood is lovely with many fine rentals in the old mansions on the leafy streets of the historic area. Most of East Providence is loaded with safe rental areas. Check out Rumford & Riverside. If you're looking for a suburban feel, nearby Swansea & Somerset are good choices. However, if living convenient to work is important, I would find no reason to leave Fall River.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
You're getting incorrect information. Fall River is not Detroit in any meaningful way. While there are challenging areas of E. Providence & Fall River, both places have many safe locations to live. The Fall River Highlands neighborhood is lovely with many fine rentals in the old mansions on the leafy streets of the historic area. Most of East Providence is loaded with safe rental areas. Check out Rumford & Riverside. If you're looking for a suburban feel, nearby Swansea & Somerset are good choices. However, if living convenient to work is important, I would find no reason to leave Fall River.

So does Detroit these days, but whatever.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:56 AM

822 posts, read 857,822 times
Fall River is not Detroit. AT ALL. yeah, it has some issues like most cities, but overall its ok if you have work. Lots of yummy Portuguese food! I lived there for a few years. had no issues with crime.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:11 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Fall River will be a culture shock if she lives in CA. That would be my biggest concern if I were her, although I assume she's been there in person for an interview or was it a skype? It is an old mill town with lots of huge old mills still standing. It does have an unemployment rate of 6-7% and the work force is very blue collar. However, it's made a lot of strides in the past years and has some nice areas as well as an attractive waterfront district. On the plus side, it'll be a whole lot cheaper to live in than CA.

Go on a case by case basis when it comes to an apt. I would say that a lot of Fall River would be fine crime wise- some areas more poverty stricken than others. Tons of old triple deckers. Just check the crime stats for the neighborhood.

Short of the Highland district (and make sure it really is in the highland district), the nearest nice place I'd recommend would be Tiverton- Craigslist lists a few rentals there currently.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Fall River will be a culture shock if she lives in CA. .

The person would be moving from Iowa, and yes, it would be a culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island