Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 3,419 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

Husband and I are moving to RI from Texas for his job. His job will be in Warwick, so we are looking at renting something anywhere from Warwick to Wrentham, but are looking mostly at Pawtucket so we can be close to a city. We are late 20s and have no kids, so being closer to a big city with stuff to do is high priority.

I've had a few interviews with companies based in Auburndale and Newton. How bad of a commute am I looking at? Internet tells me 1.5 hours if driving. If I land this Auburndale job, my hours would be 7am-4pm so I would theoretically be driving between 5am-7am.

Can anyone ELI5 the rail system? I will probably need my car for work stuff, but my husband also has a car. I'm considering leaving my car somewhere close/in Auburndale and taking the train each day to the car. Anyone have any experience doing that?

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,582,072 times
Auburndale/Newton would be about a 45 mile commute mostly up Route 95 (you can get there off 95 avoiding the Pike back up). With no traffic, it is less than an hour drive. Rte 95 in and around Boston is however heavily congested during rush hour work days. You may beat much of this if you are there in the morning by 7am. The worst part of the commute is probably 7-9am most mornings. If you leave at 4pm, you will be departing at the beginning of the late day commute. This will help but I expect traffic to be worse then, especially on Fridays.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,836,898 times
Have you actually been to Pawtucket? Are you sure you want to move there?

Old 12-06-2017, 11:58 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,582,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Auburndale/Newton would be about a 45 mile commute mostly up Route 95 (you can get there off 95 via grove St exit avoiding the Pike back up). With no traffic, it is less than an hour drive. Rte 95 in and around Boston is however heavily congested during rush hour work days. You may beat much of this if you are there in the morning by 7am. The worst part of the commute is probably 7-9am most mornings. If you leave at 4pm, you will be departing at the beginning of the late day commute. This will help but I expect traffic to be worse then, especially on Fridays.
Taking the train is not a great option. You would have to commute all the way into the city and then take a train back out.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:49 PM

9,326 posts, read 14,943,284 times
If I were you, I'd be interviewing for jobs closer to Warwick. Is your work so esoteric that you can't find a job in RI? Don't forget that it costs to commute both in time and money.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Auburndale/Newton would be about a 45 mile commute mostly up Route 95 (you can get there off 95 avoiding the Pike back up). With no traffic, it is less than an hour drive. Rte 95 in and around Boston is however heavily congested during rush hour work days. You may beat much of this if you are there in the morning by 7am. The worst part of the commute is probably 7-9am most mornings. If you leave at 4pm, you will be departing at the beginning of the late day commute. This will help but I expect traffic to be worse then, especially on Fridays.
Super helpful! Thanks.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Have you actually been to Pawtucket? Are you sure you want to move there?
Nope! Just Providence area. Originally from CT on the shoreline. Honestly just picking it as it's kind of a mid-point between Boston area and Warwick.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If I were you, I'd be interviewing for jobs closer to Warwick. Is your work so esoteric that you can't find a job in RI? Don't forget that it costs to commute both in time and money.
I've had a couple of phone interviews all around RI, but it seems most of the better paying jobs for me are closer to Boston area. I don't mind a commute--lots of time for audio books! My commute now is ~30 mins depending on traffic. This Auburndale job ticks all of my boxes so far (small company, room for growth, interesting & varied day-to-day), so that is why I asked for specifics on it.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Taking the train is not a great option. You would have to commute all the way into the city and then take a train back out.
Thank you! Someone I had phone interviewed with had suggested it and I assumed it was maybe a normal thing for the area.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 14,943,284 times
Well, if you're from Ct you know that commuting in New England and commuting in Tx are 2 different things.
You should come up here at least once and check things out and do the drive- then decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island