Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 31,150 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 41 year old Black female, single professional who may be moving to RI for a new job. I am from Los Angeles - born and raised. Are there any black folk in RI? Where are they? What are they like? I also hear that Boston and New York are very, very close. How is the drive? Where are good places to live? Finally, please tell me about fun places to go and do in RI? Shopping? Spas? Yoga classes? The Arts? Clubs? I see you only have 1 (count 'em ONE) Religious Science church in all RI!!!! Will I like leaving California for Rhode Island? Don't answer that! Please, give me your honest opinion!

Thanks!

Last edited by msgenad; 03-22-2008 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Spell out Rhode Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 05:46 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Rhode Island is about 88% white- with minorities of African Americans, Latino & Asian.
Providence, the states largest city has a A diverse population, as follows; 45% white, 15% AA, 30% Hispanic, 'other race' 17%, about 3% Asian.

Boston is less then an hour away. New York about 3 hours away. The drive to Boston is on I 95 north-while NYC- south on I 95, through RI and Connecticut into NY state and the city.

Providence is a cool city with a fair amount to do- shopping is excellent with Providence Place. The the River walk downtown offers much in all seasons. There are some Interesting bars, and many ethnic restaurants of delicious quality. Nightlife while more subdued then Boston is still fun.

Brown University offers much in the way of culture and other happenings. There is a fair amount of culture in the city, and with Boston so close- you will never need to worry about the arts, theater, etc.

East coast living and culture will be distinctly different then Los Angeles or San Francisco. New Englanders can be a wee conservative looking and acting- but liberal in their politics. The climate here will also be an adjustment, but eastern New England and Providence have some of the most moderate weather in New England.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-23-2008 at 04:54 AM..

Old 03-22-2008, 08:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
skytrekker's assement is quite fair.

I would only add that his/her metion of culture shock: New England is VERY different from SoCal. It is my experince that California folks are much trendier and seem to place more empahis supon perosnal appearance and fancy cars than people here in New England. New Englanders tend to be practical folks who aren't especially flashy. People here may be initially cool but are quite genuine once you get to know us. RI in particualr is a rare bird; people in the state have been there for generations so it can, at times, be rather insular. But there is a small town friendliness, too, that comes with that familiarity.

Visually, many things in New England are old and kind of dumpy looking in many places, especially compared to new-ish California (again, practicality often trumps aesthetics here). So be prepared: most things in "New" England are old.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:45 PM

57 posts, read 340,203 times
"Are there any black folk in RI?"
No but we would love to have you!
Honestly I live in Southern RI and I rarely see any African Americans. At all. HOWEVER I don't feel like there is any racial tension here. Of course I am white so I would say that right? But we have very large universities and a highly educated (and hopefully evolved) population. I have to agree, conservative in behaivior and very liberal politically. And yes there is yoga up the wazoo (Our puritanical history makes us predestined to be STRESSED OUT!)

Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,015 times
The majority of RI's african americans live in Providence, though there is a sizable percentage in Newport, Pawtucket and East Providence. My neighborhood in Providence is predominantly AA (Mt Hope). I used to live in South County and it was mostly all white people. I agree with jakedog though, I almost never witness/hear of any racial tension in the state.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedog1 View Post
"Are there any black folk in RI?"
No but we would love to have you!
Honestly I live in Southern RI and I rarely see any African Americans. At all. HOWEVER I don't feel like there is any racial tension here. Of course I am white so I would say that right? But we have very large universities and a highly educated (and hopefully evolved) population. I have to agree, conservative in behaivior and very liberal politically. And yes there is yoga up the wazoo (Our puritanical history makes us predestined to be STRESSED OUT!)
Thank you me and my husband may visit the newport area and we are african american

Old 11-16-2015, 08:38 AM

8,493 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Rhode Island's Black population is about 6% of the total population. One thing you may notice about the Black population in RI is that many are relatively new to the US. RI has a large number of recent African immigrants, mainly from western African countries such as Liberia.

Most of the Black population resides in the urban cities such as Providence, Pawtucket, Cranston, East Providence, Woonsocket, and Newport.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:53 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
There's also a good number of African-American military families in Middletown.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island