Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,259 times

Advertisements

Good Morning folks;
I lived in New Port back in 75 & 76. Then husband was stationed at the base. After we moved back to MA. I used to take the kids to the cliffwalk, we always had lunch at the Pit and Patio. Last time we were in NP (mid to late 80's) the P&P was gone, the cliffwalk was fenced. I now live in NE and needless to say do not get to visit. What kind of changes have been made? Is Thames Street still busy with a bunch of shops? Is Bellvue ave still busy with traffic? I have many fond memories from NP and if ever I get back east wouldn't mind living there. I Loved it and it still is my fave spot on the east coast.
Thank you in advance on any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 AM

70 posts, read 162,081 times
Bellevue is still packed during the summer and downtown newport (thames) is filled with stores. The cliffwalks are just fenced on the private property side.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:58 AM

Thank you Islanders. It was fenced so that people would stop climbing down the cliffs. I thought back then it just took away from the natural beauty of the place. I'll be visiting back east in July and hope to find time to get back to the cliffwalk.
I appreciate your reply. Thanks.
S-R

Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,703 times
I have a sister who lives in Newport...Thames Street is really nice (that is where she also lives) and I love the CliffWalk and I also love Fort Adams....Great place.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 PM

CrazyWorld feel free to take me along in your pocket whenever you go.
I lived on a small street and darn if I can remember the name of it. I could actually walk to Thames Street, which I did often when my son was an infant. Then we moved to base housing and lived on Moffet ST. I more than likely would not be able to find the first place, there were a couple of one way streets, it was a very old house on a small dead end street, and we could see ? I think it's name was Goat Island; from our front door. Oh I miss Newport. I sure loved it far better than I liked Cape Cod.
Oh well time to hit the pillows. Good Night.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 12,630 times
Ex-Newport native til I went in the Army. But we go back all the time. Bellvue and Thames still have shops and lots of folks window shopping and people watching. They close First Beach all the time now and blame very tight pollution paramaters on seagull and over flow from racoons living in sewers. I don't know how we people survived! Grew up playing on the Cliff Walk cliffs although I look at some of the old places and would not try it now. Musta been crazy bunch of guyz. Brenton Point Park out on Ocean Dr. Go and fly a kite...or maybe two. Go to Flo's and a dozen fried clams with the bellies. Or for the faint of heart have a dozen Clam Cakes. Lobsta anyplace. Place where McDonalds has Lobsta Rolls. Gotta love it!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:41 PM

17 posts, read 47,030 times
Default BIG BIG changes since the 80s

Newport has been overwhelmed by big money. Arrogant NYers and Ma$$holes have invaded. There are tons of trust fund babies with no purpose in life and lots of nepotism. There are quite a few legal and illegal Irish, Russians/Baltic and Central Americans.

A lot of businesses are from NY, PA, FL and elsewhere so money made here doesn't stay here. The Chamber is focusing on big box stores and luxury housing for the future.

The middle class is down 28% over the last three years. A $225,000 house three years ago is now $500,000. No one can afford to live here anymore hence the migration.

You either make $8 an hour or you make $60,000. Nothing in between. The city and state are starting to suffer massive budget problems. The current gas and real estate problems will only exacerbate things. RI is expected to have a $650 million deficit over the next two years.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:58 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,064 times
So it's kinda like everywhere else? haha

Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 PM

Sad to hear that the changes are eating the little guys off.
Breton Point park was so nice to see the kites.
I didn't make it back to N P on my visit home. That bugs me.
Well NewPort will always be in my heart. Going to try again on my next visit back east.
Sure do miss the fried clams.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 PM

394 posts, read 1,397,681 times
Default Ne

I'm a Npt native, but I lived in NE for four years in the early nineties. Ha ha, where are you from- Grand Island, oh yeah my uncle lives there. No Rhode Island...where? ;-P. I actually liked it there, but I love the City by the Sea. Many more funky shops and restaurants, along with the tourist areas. Some of that salty, sailor charm is probably gone too though. Yup...more yuppies. I hope you come back and visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island