Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:12 PM

198 posts, read 150,769 times

Advertisements

if you are interested in a drive for home ice cream try Meola's in Massachusetts, Route 12 past Worcester. Abington Creamery in Abington, Ct, Bogie's at the Thompson Speedway and Buttonwoods in Hopewell, Ct. They won't disappoint and are equal to the ICM in Cumberland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 06:30 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
if you are interested in a drive for home ice cream try Meola's in Massachusetts, Route 12 past Worcester.

Meola's is very good, but IMHO not as good as Rota Springs Farm (a little further up in Sterling).

Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rianchorbaby View Post
Thanks for this useful thread!

My diet is changing so haven't explored as much as I would have liked to in the past few years. My two regular spots:

Three Sisters by the PVD/Pawtucket line.
Sunshine Creamery in East Providence

Former is excellent, with prices to match; latter won't knock your socks off, but is solid, cheap, and nighttime brings the classic getting-eaten-by-bugs-outside-a-shack experience, without which it wouldn't be summer.

Places I expected to be better than they were, given the effort to get to them:
Aunt Carrie's in Narragansett
Ice Cream Barn in Swansea (also too expensive for what it offers)

Favorite in the region: Peaceful Meadows on Route 18 in Whitman.

Related: Wayland Square Diner makes a good Raspberry Lime Rickey.
Thanks!

I'll keep this for future reference.

I especially like a nice nighttime ambiance outside an ice cream parlor -- you know, the old fashioned neon tubing (bright white or bright yellow tubes framing parts of the exterior, like in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Even better is a twirling sign or a flashing or blinking neon sign! It makes an establishment really sparkle and stand out. Any still exist?

Saw an article recently about Millie's ice crram in Pittsburgh, PA, and they seem to have a nostalgic neon exterior sign spelling out the name. It's considered retro nowadays, unfortunately.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:38 PM

22 posts, read 12,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I especially like a nice nighttime ambiance outside an ice cream parlor -- you know, the old fashioned neon tubing (bright white or bright yellow tubes framing parts of the exterior, like in the 60s, 70s and 80s…
If you're ever in Chicago, check out Margie's Candies (the location at Milwaukee & Western) in the evening. You'll like the inside too—cramped with a lot of wood paneling and tan furnishings. It's like sitting in your hoarder grandparents rec room.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM

198 posts, read 150,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Meola's is very good, but IMHO not as good as Rota Springs Farm (a little further up in Sterling).
went there this summer, both are very good. I need to do more sampling at Rota's.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:31 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Default I Have Had....!!!!

the best of Ben and Jerry's: If you like chocolate.......taste New York Chocolate Super Chunk, it takes you to heaven and back.............love it.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:29 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
the best of Ben and Jerry's: If you like chocolate.......taste New York Chocolate Super Chunk, it takes you to heaven and back.............love it.
Yessirreeeee ….. my fave also. As far as I know it only comes in a pint at the market … and that's a good thing.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 AM

46 posts, read 52,642 times
If there is one thing I love, it is Ice Cream. Will have to try a few of the aforementioned with the exception of Grey's which I like, but don't love.

Though not in RI, Somerset Creamery is my favorite in the area.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:58 PM

17,736 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepoint128 View Post
Though not in RI, Somerset Creamery is my favorite in the area.
I agree about Somerset Creamery. I haven't been there in a while though. Pretty much since Sonic opened. When I'm in that area, it feels necessary to stop at Sonic for a green apple slush with nerds. Who wants ice cream after that?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Sorry about not mentioning a Rhode Island spot, but I went tonight near 8 pm closing time to Crescent Ridge in Sharon, MA.

Wow, just like my last visit a few years ago on a Sunday evening as well. There must have been close to 80 people plus a large dog outside waiting at the walk up windows. I actually enjoy all the people waiting as it creates a scene or event for me.

I went inside because it's quicker, but only allowed if getting hand-packed pints or quarts (or their pre-packaged half gallons).

The $6.50 for a pint is a good price as many places are now over $7 but $7.50 for their hand-picked quart is a steal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island