Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 PM

17,860 posts, read 9,297,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Who would you rather: Sheldon Whitehouse or Elizabeth Warren?
Elizabeth Warren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 01:35 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,725,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
2007 assessments were probably based on 2006 sales. Many areas did not see prices drop until mid 2008. Parts of South Providence, etc. we're likely impacted earlier, but definitely not in 2006.
I was shopping for a house in 2006 (as well as the prior year). I can state anecdotally that prices were indeed falling in 2006 in Providence. It may have been after the reassessment process had been completed. (I think the reassessment process happens in the summer months). But unlike 2005 when inventory was subject to bidding wars, in 2006 I saw properties languish on the market, with asking prices slashed. It was spooky, and made me rethink making a purchase.

Last edited by ormari; 11-10-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 04:12 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
What don't you like about Sheldon Whitehouse?

Rhode Island often gets compared unfavorably to Massachusetts. Who would you rather: Sheldon Whitehouse or Elizabeth Warren?

Advantage Rhode Island.
Fair question. Whitehouse is fine, but Elizabeth Warren is better.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:38 AM

4,236 posts, read 1,690,018 times
You miss the point. Again. Sheldon Whitehouse is intelligent, articulate and capable. And most likely, honest as the day is long. Good as any in the Bay State. HE isn't a the problem. Any more than Warren, Reed, Markey or 46 others are. It's the Rhode Island electorate. See, a politician of ANY stripe becomes a dangerous animal when he loses his fear of humans. Every now and then, some MUST be turned out of office. It's an absolute necessity for democracy to be effective. Our Founding Fathers knew that the greatest danger of all was human nature, and nothing brings out the worst in a politician so much as job security. With very few exceptions, it isn't that some states have better politicians, it's that some states have more informed and involved electorates. A state with democracy in name only, an apathetic electorate, virtually no political turnover and near total one party domination is doomed to look very much like.......Rhode Island. And it isn't so much that you folks CAN'T understand this, it's that you don't WANT to understand it.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:02 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,191,031 times
I think we understand it well enough, since Whitehouse unseated the incumbent Chafee.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I think we understand it well enough, since Whitehouse unseated the incumbent Chafee.
Keep up the good work and pass it on! And don't worry, Rome wasn't built in a day!

Old 11-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
And keep working on voter initiative and a line item veto for the executive! Very important tools as Rhode Island struggles to right itself!

Old 11-11-2018, 08:44 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
You miss the point. Again. Sheldon Whitehouse is intelligent, articulate and capable. And most likely, honest as the day is long. Good as any in the Bay State. HE isn't a the problem. Any more than Warren, Reed, Markey or 46 others are. It's the Rhode Island electorate. See, a politician of ANY stripe becomes a dangerous animal when he loses his fear of humans. Every now and then, some MUST be turned out of office. It's an absolute necessity for democracy to be effective. Our Founding Fathers knew that the greatest danger of all was human nature, and nothing brings out the worst in a politician so much as job security. With very few exceptions, it isn't that some states have better politicians, it's that some states have more informed and involved electorates. A state with democracy in name only, an apathetic electorate, virtually no political turnover and near total one party domination is doomed to look very much like.......Rhode Island. And it isn't so much that you folks CAN'T understand this, it's that you don't WANT to understand it.
Redundancy not needed. We get your point. And, who could logically argue that we don't get the leadership we deserve? So, yes the electorate in Rhode Island is largely the problem. However, comparison to Massachusetts isn't actually fair, since the Bay State has probably the most educated & informed electorate in the entire country.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:21 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,725,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Fair question. Whitehouse is fine, but Elizabeth Warren is better.
Clearly we have different standards. While I don't think Sen. Whitehouse is a star by any stretch of the imagination, I would give Elizabeth Warren a far lower score than you would assess, and certainly lower than Whitehouse.

In my estimation, she is the queen of political grandstanding; I find her repugnant. If the dems put her up for Pres. in 2020, I fear we are in for another four years of Trump's buffoonery.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:52 PM

17,860 posts, read 9,297,914 times
Quote:
In my estimation, she is the queen of political grandstanding; I find her repugnant. If the dems put her up for Pres. in 2020, I fear we are in for another four years of Trump's buffoonery.
Trump will likely get reelected regardless of who he is up against. The media wouldn't have it any other way; he's been a goldmine for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island