Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 AM

17,859 posts, read 9,291,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It was already addressed in the 2014 election.
He had to address it in 2014. He knew someone would dig it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 09:34 AM

9,326 posts, read 14,943,284 times
Quote:
I could come up with plenty of 2nd hand anecdotal information as well, doesn't mean it would pass the "standards" of the gate keepers of this forum.

And you clearly have very little understanding of how municipal finances work. Cranston was in a similar state to Providence before Fung came into office, it almost faced state takeover once or twice in the 2000s it was so corrupt and mismanaged. What distinguishes the two cities is the course they took afterwards. Cranston got its s#$% together while Providence was stuck in neutral or reverse through its continued inept leadership. That would explain the difference in property values.
Huh? I said nothing about difference in property values- only taxes. The taxes are comparable or higher to the East Side

You're complaining about standards of gatekeepers? WOW- you must tolerate lies, pure speculation, and untruths much better than me!

Old 09-18-2018, 03:12 PM

17,859 posts, read 9,291,314 times
This is repugnant.

https://twitter.com/wpri12/status/1042145536189640705

Old 09-19-2018, 04:18 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,723,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Repugnant, of course. Surprising, of course not.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:28 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,836,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So, you don't think minorities can't promote racist policies? Come on. See his aligning with Trump on immigration policies and wanting to use local police to enforce Federal civil violations! You probably don't women can be anti women as well, but we saw that with plenty of anti HRC women who thought women shouldn't be President.

NOT racist policies, quit making stuff up (or rehashing CNN talking points). Anti-HRC women were anti-HRC because she is a crook, not because she is a woman.

Quote:
Undesirable higher end means that. That place does nothing to promote affordable housing, a sense of community or higher quality of life. It's a drive in drive out chain store and higher end apartment complex. It provides tax money and poor jobs, but that's it. It does nothing for community and pushes marginalized populations out.

You are WAY devaluing the importance of tax dollars to every aspect of the community. Had the project not been built, guess where those extra tax $$$ come from? Yes! The current taxpayers! THAT is what drives people out of the community, NOT upscale retail or luxury apartments inhabited by empty nesters that have almost zero impact on the schools and city services. I suppose you would rather it go the route of Pawtucket, though?

Quote:
That atrocious development. Does nothing for the people who lived in the community before it was built except to create some very low paying service sector positions (only redeeming value). Supporting the point that he hasn't been a good leader.
See above in re. to new tax revenue. It is located by the highway and away from residential areas, not bothering anybody at all. RI has a housing inventory shortage. While there is clearly a need for more affordable housing, ANY new units are good. Economic activity is GOOD. Don't like it, well you can go to Woonsocket.

Quote:
Yeah, it does. Maybe I'll see you at the AMOR (Alliance to Mobilize Resistance) fundraiser on the 29th? You know, since you're so invested in the community here in Rhode Island. There will be plenty of people willing to speak about Fung with you there. I will be there.

I actually had to google that group, LOL but I'm not surprised you would be attending.

Cranston seems very happy with him.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/re...mayor-cranston

Last edited by massnative71; 09-19-2018 at 04:47 AM..

Old 09-19-2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
"When he interned for the Department of Corrections while in law school, the accident turned up in a background check and someone advised him to get the charges expunged from his records so he took that advice and had the records sealed."

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...years-old.html
He wasn't found criminally responsible to begin with (no evidence of alcohol or drugs in his system), and took full responsibility with payments to the victim's family, etc. Had he been convicted and had that expunged from his record, that you might call a cover-up but this wasn't really the case.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Huh? I said nothing about difference in property values- only taxes. The taxes are comparable or higher to the East Side

You were not specific in what you were comparing, and what do you mean by "comparable properties". You still show little understanding of how municipal finances work. Cranston had high taxes to begin with, but unlike most other nearby cities the increases have been very limited in the past decade. How "flat" have your taxes in Providence been since 2008? How bout those auto excise taxes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You're complaining about standards of gatekeepers? WOW- you must tolerate lies, pure speculation, and untruths much better than me!
NO. What I don't tolerate is personal attacks for having a difference of opinion, or running from facts when they don't agree with one's agenda.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,582,072 times
Interesting that Ray Izzo, the person who had the sign display in Gloucester, took it down but later commented on it to the Projo from the Trillo campaign HQ.

Now I regret it,’ says Ray Izzo, whose yard display sparked political furor

By Patrick Anderson and Mark Reynolds Journal Staff Writers
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...20180915090004

Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
Quote:
I actually had to google that group, LOL but I'm not surprised you would be attending.
Nope. It's a fundraiser for a group that works hard on important issues. Glad to support them.

Last edited by timberline742; 09-19-2018 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-19-2018, 08:35 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,582,072 times
There is another pro-Raimondo ad being run against Allan Trump showing him wearing a Trump hat at the Trump inauguration in DC. Seems that the Fung relationship to Trump will be played from opposite directions. Raimondo will look to tie him to Trump as the president does not have high favorable ratings with much of RI, especially those that would ordinarily be inclined to support a Democrat. Trillo, on the other hand, will paint Fung as not supporting Trump enough trying to appeal to Trump's small but generally very loyal RI following. Fung will be Trump squeezed on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island