Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:04 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times

Advertisements

Another group in RI is fighting development. Some Cranston residents are working to make certain that the developer of a proposed golf center on Sockanosset Cross Road do not get a zoning change for their use plans for the former Citizen Bank office site (which was moved to the Johnston Citizens campus).

On looking at this site on google maps, I don't understand all the opposition. The site is bounded by Chapel View to the north, other retail to the east and south, and Route 37 and the prison to the west. There is a decent gap between it and the nearest residential neighborhood behind Garden City.

There was already a lot of traffic when Citizens was fully staffed at the site so it is not like there was no traffic before. Would think most people will come and go via quickest route to Routes 37 and 2 which would not bring them through this neighborhood.

There do not seem to be other proposals for the property. Do residents want it to sit empty and further depreciate bring less tax revenue to the city?

Cranston neighbors work to block golf complex
https://www.providencejournal.com/ne...ar-chapel-view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 01:13 PM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
I believe this golf complex is a very poor use for this area. We need another access to hwy 37 here and better mixed dense use. This place is at the center of our state and has great access to two or our three Interstates and the Airport. Move the golf idea over to Mulligan's Island.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
I believe this golf complex is a very poor use for this area. We need another access to hwy 37 here and better mixed dense use. This place is at the center of our state and has great access to two or our three Interstates and the Airport. Move the golf idea over to Mulligan's Island.
I'm sure others who live in Cranston also have good reason for opposing this particular development. It's quite obvious that those who live in an area are the best judges of city planning.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I'm sure others who live in Cranston also have good reason for opposing this particular development. It's quite obvious that those who live in an area are the best judges of city planning.
It is my area, I live in this area, and judging by the lack of planning in Cranston...judging by the fact the city is even thinking about allowing this place. Mixed Use is the best for this area a continuation of Chapel Hill would be great. We also need another access onto Hwy 37.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:38 PM

4,391 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Traffic is bad at certain times of day near that The 37 ramp but I don't understand this objection. There's no way a golf complex isn't going to be an improvement over the number of cars that were going to that Citizens office daily.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:50 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
I understand why it might be considered a downgrade going from Citizens to something like this, but no none of those concerns mentioned really hold up. Certainly sounds preferable to the property staying vacant, and better use than a used car lot or storage facility.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:54 PM

72 posts, read 53,615 times
Anyone know what happened to the Carolina BBQ Co. restaurant in Cranston ? It was in a good location next to Chelos on Reservoir Ave and it barely lasted a year. I guess BBQ is a tough sell in RI.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:33 AM

They used liquid smoke. So I think that took a toll on them. Never trust a BBQ place that uses liquid smoke.

I wish there were a better use for this property. But we have a Republican in office who is happy with Cranston being a bed room community to Providence. I really wish Cranston and Warwick would get together and plan. We are in such a great spot and our combined populations match Providence.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:42 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
I wish there were a better use for this property. But we have a Republican in office who is happy with Cranston being a bed room community to Providence. I really wish Cranston and Warwick would get together and plan. We are in such a great spot and our combined populations match Providence.

What in the world does his political party have to do with anything? Fung has been good for Cranston, and among the best mayors in RI from everything I hear.

And Cranston IS a bedroom community, always was. The only complaints I ever hear from people there, are that "the city" is moving in too much.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 PM

17,732 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Some Cranston residents are saying Topgolf is "a nightclub in disguise".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island