Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,927 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Any thoughts on Providence area vs East Greenwich for early 40s divorced, no kids? Moving for work soon. My only comparisons are that I grew up in a town in NJ people compare to East Greenwich on water and have also lived in Huntington Village out on Long Island which seems similar (cute little town on water). Don't mind a 30 min drive to work and not sure which is better to have things around to do (ie shops, restaurants, bars, etc...) and just a few things to walk to or that are close by (preferable away from the college kids). Water is definitely appealing but is it too quiet there?

Let me add that I am relocating from downtown Chicago however, before you jump at that let me be clear...I definitely do not need/want the big city feel or would reverse commute from Boston : ) I truly look forward to a much smaller vibe/feel again. I can see both in some ways, either downtown or quaint and over by the water. Any advice? Honestly....I would be very happy with some nice restaurants, bars and shops to walk to as mentioned and lets say more opportunities to meet some like minded people in that late 30s-50s something crowd. I kind of stick out without kids so just not sure. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 PM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellabella1234 View Post
Hi all! Any thoughts on Providence area vs East Greenwich for early 40s divorced, no kids? Moving for work soon. My only comparisons are that I grew up in a town in NJ people compare to East Greenwich on water and have also lived in Huntington Village out on Long Island which seems similar (cute little town on water). Don't mind a 30 min drive to work and not sure which is better to have things around to do (ie shops, restaurants, bars, etc...) and just a few things to walk to or that are close by (preferable away from the college kids). Water is definitely appealing but is it too quiet there?

Let me add that I am relocating from downtown Chicago however, before you jump at that let me be clear...I definitely do not need/want the big city feel or would reverse commute from Boston : ) I truly look forward to a much smaller vibe/feel again. I can see both in some ways, either downtown or quaint and over by the water. Any advice? Honestly....I would be very happy with some nice restaurants, bars and shops to walk to as mentioned and lets say more opportunities to meet some like minded people in that late 30s-50s something crowd. I kind of stick out without kids so just not sure. Any thoughts? Thank you!
As I suspect you may understand comparing EG & Providence is apples & oranges. As is comparing cosmopolitan downtown Chicago with little Providence. If you're newly single & want to stay that way, you can't go wrong with EG. It's not exactly a rich singles scene for late 30s - 50s. But it is a cute suburban town on a bit of water.

While the Providence singles scene may be a tad younger than you suggest is ideal, it offers a little something for everybody, regardless of marriage status, social class or income. Obviously, stay away from College Hill to avoid college kids. Downtown PVD may suit you, but it could also be somewhat on the younger end of you ideal crowd.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
You never did answer where you will be working, that plays a big part on where one might recommend.

So without knowing that, compromises might be Pawtuxet Village (Cranston/Warwick) and Garden City in Cranston, which is in between E.G. and Providence (but closer to Providence).

Old 08-21-2019, 07:59 PM

822 posts, read 856,483 times
You will have more fun, more to do, and meet more people in your demographic (single, 40s, no kids) in Providence. and Providence is also on the water

Old 08-21-2019, 08:03 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Planning to buy or rent? Budget?

And, as already mentioned, it would be helpful to know what area you'll be working.

Can't really help without this info.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:05 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Providence is also on the water
If an ugly river counts, sure.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:02 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
You will have more fun, more to do, and meet more people in your demographic (single, 40s, no kids) in Providence. and Providence is also on the water
I'd second this. And, as for water, the Providence River is scenic for the most part. It has been well staged to enjoy in the downtown area. Water Place condos have terrific river views. Recently a beautiful foot bridge has been added across the river to connect the East Side with Downtown. An evening WaterFire event happens on a regular basis between Spring & Fall.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
If you don't like a big city vibe, go for EG. It seems to meet your criteria.

EG is small however- maybe you'd want to rent there for a year, and if it's too small, then consider downtown Providence, the East Side of Providence, or Federal Hill. Good locations for the single. You could also consider Newport but that might depend on your job location since it can be an awkward commute.

Pawtuxet Village is even smaller than EG and Garden City is a suburban neighborhood- hardly a spot for a single.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:12 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Now that's a stretch ...

Old 08-22-2019, 07:51 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8176...7i13312!8i6656

Sure looks like water to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island