Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 02:25 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times

Advertisements

https://www.worth.com/10-cities-to-w...9twhjdsLAYDWl0

Providence makes another "worth watching" list despite school & pension challenges (which it mentions). This Worth list puts the city in good company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 07:00 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Shuuuush- being on the radar is a mixed blessing......

Old 10-12-2019, 09:21 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,677,384 times
I wouldn't worry about being "on the radar". Judging from the beleaguered taxpayers bolting for the door, people know all they need to about Providence, Rhode Island. And being "watched"? For far too many, it's in the rear view mirror.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:40 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,911,147 times
In reality, all these city lists are generally useless and for every one that praises you can find one that doesn't. What matters is whether or not any individual enjoys living where they do.

I was just looking at the "best 10 cities to retire in list". There's not a single city on it I'd move to.

I find constant growth a detriment- not an advantage. I realize that most people on this forum don't understand and only equate more "growth" with quality of life.

No one's leaving my corner of Providence. House prices just keep going up along with the rest of NE.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:49 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Providence is an easy city to live in if you have a job. Makes sense

Old 10-15-2019, 12:00 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
In reality, all these city lists are generally useless and for every one that praises you can find one that doesn't. What matters is whether or not any individual enjoys living where they do. I was just looking at the "best 10 cities to retire in list". There's not a single city on it I'd move to.

I find constant growth a detriment- not an advantage. I realize that most people on this forum don't understand and only equate more "growth" with quality of life. No one's leaving my corner of Providence. House prices just keep going up along with the rest of NE.
Usually those Top 10 Retirement Cities are weighted with a combination of low cost of living & climate. Neither category of which Providence would likely shine. For retirees not interested in growth, but prefer a low COL & milder climate, I understand Arkansas stands out. For me, I like a combination of warm climate and an educated population in the winter and same in the summer. Often, one location can't meet every retirement need. Evidenced by all of the Snowbirds flying around.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:42 PM

Growth is a "detriment". This mindset is why Rhode Island is ........Rhode Island.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Providence is an easy city to live in if you have a job. Makes sense
Except for the taxes. And the schools. And the infrastructure. And the pending bankruptcy. Easy as pie.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
In reality, all these city lists are generally useless and for every one that praises you can find one that doesn't. What matters is whether or not any individual enjoys living where they do.

I was just looking at the "best 10 cities to retire in list". There's not a single city on it I'd move to.

I find constant growth a detriment- not an advantage. I realize that most people on this forum don't understand and only equate more "growth" with quality of life.

No one's leaving my corner of Providence. House prices just keep going up along with the rest of NE.
Most folks at the very bottom of these lists tend to find them "useless".

Old 10-15-2019, 05:21 PM

164 posts, read 125,279 times
For us, close by but not Providence, it is access to quality healthcare. Few months down south in winter sure (but we have yet to do this) but spring, summer, fall RI is a ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island