Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 01:33 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,059,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I assume none of the posters on this forum grew up in Providence, around real Rhode Island natives. Because if you had, then you would know that anyone who lives within the city limits of Providence and can afford to send their children to LaSalle, Moses Brown or Wheeler for secondary education will do just that. Over the past 20 years, nobody in their right mind, aside from Jewish families on the East Side who do not want Quaker or Roman Catholic education for their children, has willingly sent their children to Classical, which has been declining as an institution since the 1990's. In fact, over the years, I have known families in the Mt. Pleasant and Elmhurst neighborhoods of Providence who have taken out home equity loans to pay for their children's secondary educations at private institutions or simply moved to North Providence after their children graduated from grammar school. Even if your child passes the entrance exam at Classical, what happens if he or she gets expelled from the school for fighting or poor grades? Then, they'll have to go to Central or Mt. Pleasant -- and those schools have been horrible since at least the 1970's.
bad assumption on where I grew up and probably others, on the education at Classical and thinking North Providence is a mecca for education at the high school and middle school level, even compared to Providence.

I don't know if there is much fighting at Classical and if they now expel you for bad grades. That was not done when I was there. Leaving was a personal choice, but most did with C and D averages. They just were not forced to leave. Not everyone who graduated had a B or higher average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,336,806 times
I just glanced at the demographics of Providence Classical. It's quite different from most competitive exam schools. Most urban competitive exam schools have a much higher fraction of white & Asian students and a much lower fraction of economically disadvantaged. What is Providence doing where they have 150-200 economically disadvantaged minority kids in K-8 who qualify for the competitive exam high school?

Old 11-19-2019, 11:53 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,136,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I just glanced at the demographics of Providence Classical. It's quite different from most competitive exam schools. Most urban competitive exam schools have a much higher fraction of white & Asian students and a much lower fraction of economically disadvantaged. What is Providence doing where they have 150-200 economically disadvantaged minority kids in K-8 who qualify for the competitive exam high school?
What urban areas are you referring to? Providence has way fewer Asians than places like NYC, SF, and even Boston. How does Classical stack against the same type of schools in those cities?

Old 11-19-2019, 04:13 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,059,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
What urban areas are you referring to? Providence has way fewer Asians than places like NYC, SF, and even Boston. How does Classical stack against the same type of schools in those cities?
Classical ranked #168 on this rating of high schools and was the best in R.I. Two schools in Massachusetts beat it with Bostin Latin #33 in the country. One school, #150, in Connecticut beat Classical. Maine's number 1 school was ranked #2 in the country.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-17505

Old 11-19-2019, 04:42 PM

17,861 posts, read 9,297,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Classical ranked #168 on this rating of high schools and was the best in R.I. Two schools in Massachusetts beat it with Bostin Latin #33 in the country. One school, #150, in Connecticut beat Classical. Maine's number 1 school was ranked #2 in the country.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-17505

I'd love to hear what Bert has to say about that.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:50 PM

4,236 posts, read 1,690,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'd love to hear what Bert has to say about that.
Your best high school is ranked 168th in the country. And this excites you people?

Old 11-19-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Your best high school is ranked 168th in the country. And this excites you people?
Classical (#168) is ranked higher than every high school in Massachusetts except for Boston Latin (#33) and Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School (#157).

Considering Massachusetts' reputation for such strong schools, and that all but 2 of them are ranked worse than #168, I'd say it's not too shabby.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:34 PM

4,236 posts, read 1,690,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Classical (#168) is ranked higher than every high school in Massachusetts except for Boston Latin (#33) and Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School (#157).

Considering Massachusetts' reputation for such strong schools, and that all but 2 of them are ranked worse than #168, I'd say it's not too shabby.
I'm disappointed with the Bay State as well. In fact, New England overall. With only two in the rankings, I'm keeping my mouth shut. My advice is to do likewise.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:55 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Folks the New England states are small, of course places like TX and CA will by default have more schools in the rankings.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:36 PM

According to Bert:

"Over the past 20 years, nobody in their right mind, aside from Jewish families on the East Side who do not want Quaker or Roman Catholic education for their children, has willingly sent their children to Classical, which has been declining as an institution since the 1990's."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island