Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2021, 08:42 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
After a mutual agreement to fight outside.

Think about it dude. A McDonald's employee "agrees to fight a customer outside". IN UNIFORM. WHILE ON SHIFT. You gonna believe anything else he says? I have no doubt there's two sides to the story, and both parties were out of line. It's certainly "possible" the customer said that when they got out there (maybe after realizing the employee had a knife?), but AFIK this kid's credibility doesn't even register on a 1-10 scale based on his other actions. Sorry.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:25 AM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
My point is that you face that risk anywhere. You can spend your whole life never going to Elmwood, Valley, or Olneyville and get stabbed by a random crazy in North Providence or killed by a drunk driver in Foster. There is no point to living in fear of urban crime.
Good point. The most violent, scariest random crime I can remember happened in West Greenwich.

And one can't avoid random.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:07 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'm sorry you feel that it's nothing of consequence ormari, but this is just insane!
I did not say that violent crime was "nothing of consequence."

Crime is universally part of the human condition. I advocate for rational, data-driven conversations. The constant drum beat of the crimes posted here merely bangs a drum of fear in what is already a rather large drum circle. There is already a lot of fear in the world right now for other obvious reasons. The media and political leadership have provided a negative vision of the world, "a long, dark winter", climate crisis, racial strife, etc. banging large drums which shake people to their bones. All of this has repercussions that I think manifest in negative public outcomes.

Yes, homicides this year seem to have spiked. Are you trying to say that it has spiked more here in Providence but not in other cities? We'll have to wait till the end of the year to know the magnitude and how it compares nationwide.

I do not see what positive purpose this thread serves, nor what positive purpose your posting history provides. I've said it before, I'll say it again: you are displaying a warped perspective.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:46 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Good point. The most violent, scariest random crime I can remember happened in West Greenwich.

And one can't avoid random.
I'm not familiar with what happened in West Greenwich. North Providence was pretty scary. So was the incident in Warwick a few years ago, where a father was murdered by his neighbor because his kid's ball went into the neighbor's yard; not random, but definitely horrific and wasn't avoidable by living in a leafy suburb.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with what happened in West Greenwich. North Providence was pretty scary. So was the incident in Warwick a few years ago, where a father was murdered by his neighbor because his kid's ball went into the neighbor's yard; not random, but definitely horrific and wasn't avoidable by living in a leafy suburb.

I wouldn't call Warwick a "leafy suburb". Scary either way though.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:01 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
My mistake, it was in Cranston near Garden City, not Warwick.

Old 05-04-2021, 04:41 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,674,918 times
Quote:
Warwick? A leafy suburb? Warwick, Rhode Island? Just how low is your bar?

Old 05-05-2021, 10:38 AM

North Providence always had an awesome police department. While far too often these heroic actions go unreported, good to see this one recognized by the local media.

North Prov Police Union Commends Officers for Using “Less-Lethal Force” in Homicide Suspect Arrest

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/nor...al-force-in-ho

"The suspect, 27-year-old Christopher Cabajal, fled the scene. Witnesses helped direct officers to Cabajal's whereabouts at Rhode Island Billiard Bar and Bistro. Upon arriving, officers attempted to handcuff Cabajal, who violently resisted arrest. After multiple attempts to de-escalate the situation with verbal commands, officers were forced to deploy a taser on Cabajal. He was then taken into custody.

"On behalf of the officers of the North Providence Police Department, we extend our deepest condolences to the family of the victim, Brian Cervini," said FOP #13 President Tom Jones. "Our officers displayed exceptional judgment and quick thinking in the arrest of the suspect, who was considered armed and dangerous."

"When officers respond to a call in which a deadly weapon was used, they must quickly assess the situation to decide the appropriate level of force to ensure the safety of themselves, their brother and sister officers, and the public," he added. "Despite the circumstances, and while operating across three crime scenes, officers relied upon their extensive training and were able to bring to an end a violent, aggressive altercation with the suspect."
"Against the backdrop of unrest across the country and recent high-profile police-involved shootings, we would like to draw some much-needed attention to this latest example of officers' commendable and heroic actions, which are far more common but not often recognized," said the FOP.
"We wish the outcome of this tragedy had been different, and did not result in the death of an innocent person, but we are thankful and proud that, because of the quick-thinking of our well-trained officers, the altercation with the suspect did not end in further injury to himself, to officers, or to the public," the FOP continued.
The FOP 13 also thanked the witnesses who helped direct officers to the suspect's location."

Old 05-06-2021, 10:58 AM

This happened on April 15th, but I don't recall hearing about it. And what is going on with that side of Pawtucket, there seems to be a lot of activity there the last few months? Chapin runs between Cottage St. and Newport Ave.. I believe this happened towards the Cottage St. end.

Police seek ID of suspect seen shooting at Pawtucket home

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...awtucket-home/

"PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — Pawtucket police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man suspected of firing a gun at a home last month.
Just before 10 a.m. on Thursday, April 15, officers responded to a report of shots fired in the area of Mendon Avenue and were told that a home had been shot at on nearby Chaplin Street.
The home was occupied at the time, but no one was hurt, according to police.
Video surveillance showed a man walk up to the rear of the home, pull out a semiautomatic handgun and fire multiple rounds before fleeing through the neighbor’s backyard, police said."

Old 05-11-2021, 02:50 PM

Man was stabbed in the Elmwood area of South Providence yesterday. It occurred at 601 Elmwood Ave., which is location of the VIP barbershop. This is by the corner of Elmwood and Adelaide Ave. (bordering the Elmwood Historic District), a problematic neighborhood.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/poli...dence-stabbing

"WJAR) — The Providence Police Department is investigating a stabbing incident in the city on Monday that left one person injured.The incident happened at 601 Elmwood Avenue.
Police say the victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
Officers report getting conflicting stories from individuals on the scene."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island