Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:27 PM

17,767 posts, read 9,215,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Way to go - Ace Crime Reporter!!! We've all observed your efforts.
As to your constant and continuous efforts to post every crime story.........

I've never said there was no crime in RI- however statistics show a lower crime rate than most states in the country and they don't have a resident crime reporter. You do all you can to make it look like crime is a huge issue in this state. Very misleading. You just choose to ignore my objections as to whether posting every crime that occurs is appropriate in this forum. Not sure what you expect to achieve by re-posting every twitter you get but you persist.
On the main page of the RI forum, if you hover over the title tab, the forum is described as:

"Rhode Island Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum"

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, nearly all of my posts (including those which you seem to object to) are very much on-topic for this forum.

And, as far as I know, I don't need your permission or approval to discuss RI-related topics in the RI forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 04:25 PM

9 posts, read 6,777 times
I am from R.I., born and raised and have been living in the Bay Area, CA. for the past 23 years. I would love the opportunity to get back to R.I. I am sophisticated, with a graduate degree, cosmopolitan and progressive and have lived in San Francisco and now live in a suburb just south of SF. When I go back to R.I. it is so refreshing. The traffic and crowds are low. My kids are amazed that we don't have to buy tickets online in advance to get into a movie, we just go to the theatre and get a seat. The cost of living is substantially lower and natural beauty all around. I love the coast and it's plentiful. People, for the most part, are friendly and down to earth. I believe it's because they don't have to work themselves to death to pay the rent and the pace is definitely slower. It all depends on what you want but R.I. is a secret gem in my book. Providence has a lot to offer, Brown University brings people from all over the world and that impacts the city. The food is incredible in R.I. and I can actually afford to take my family out for dinners and not break the bank. If you have gobs of money then move to the Back Bay but your commute would be really long. Otherwise, the East side of Prov. is good for you and the top school districts are East Greenwich and Barrington which are FAR better than any public school here in No. Cal. The ratios are like 14/1 and my kids are jammed with 34 kids per classroom. Those towns are definitely small suburbs though. When I left R.I. for college in 1979 it was a very depressed area but it has come a LONG way in those years. There are lots of artists and interesting people who live there and many people from the Boston area who want a better quality of life. You just have to know where to find them! Good luck! I'd be curious who you're working for because I'm trying to get a job back there so I can relocate.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:48 PM

47 posts, read 45,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miya11 View Post
I am sophisticated, with a graduate degree, cosmopolitan and progressive and have lived in San Francisco.
Don't take this the wrong way, but based on that statement you'd be better off in SF and the Bay Area (unless you're part of the whole Brown University hobnobbing circle).

I have family in the Bay Area and to be honest, I still find the Bay Area a lot more chill and relaxed than the Northeast (unless you're a conservative). I think the key though is to not get caught up in the whole keeping up with the Jones/Chens/Guptas toxic lifestyle that I see a lot of transplants getting caught up in the Bay Area. It's easy to lose perspective in the Bay Area and feel "poor" because you "only" make $140,000 a year and live in a $700,000 apartment, when in reality, you're doing better than 95% of the nation.

Also, the career/academic opportunities for your kids will be much better over there versus in RI, especially once they graduate. Kids there also tend to be a lot more exposed to other cultures growing up, whereas in RI kids tend to stay within their insular cliques, and grow up within their RI bubbles. RI still has that negative, paranoid, gossipy, bedroom-community vibe where anyone who isn't part of their high school or family clique is looked on with suspicion--particularly around Providence and Kent County.

The food is great around here though--I will definitely give you that. But there's also plenty of great, cheap food in the Bay Area too.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:16 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,678,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miya11 View Post
I am from R.I., born and raised and have been living in the Bay Area, CA. for the past 23 years. I would love the opportunity to get back to R.I. I am sophisticated, with a graduate degree, cosmopolitan and progressive and have lived in San Francisco and now live in a suburb just south of SF. When I go back to R.I. it is so refreshing. The traffic and crowds are low. My kids are amazed that we don't have to buy tickets online in advance to get into a movie, we just go to the theatre and get a seat. The cost of living is substantially lower and natural beauty all around. I love the coast and it's plentiful. People, for the most part, are friendly and down to earth. I believe it's because they don't have to work themselves to death to pay the rent and the pace is definitely slower. It all depends on what you want but R.I. is a secret gem in my book. Providence has a lot to offer, Brown University brings people from all over the world and that impacts the city. The food is incredible in R.I. and I can actually afford to take my family out for dinners and not break the bank. If you have gobs of money then move to the Back Bay but your commute would be really long. Otherwise, the East side of Prov. is good for you and the top school districts are East Greenwich and Barrington which are FAR better than any public school here in No. Cal. The ratios are like 14/1 and my kids are jammed with 34 kids per classroom. Those towns are definitely small suburbs though. When I left R.I. for college in 1979 it was a very depressed area but it has come a LONG way in those years. There are lots of artists and interesting people who live there and many people from the Boston area who want a better quality of life. You just have to know where to find them! Good luck! I'd be curious who you're working for because I'm trying to get a job back there so I can relocate.
So you'd like to move back. If only you could find a job. Get in line.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:15 PM

23,606 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Plenty of good information available comparing Rhode Island public schools to the rest of the US. Were our state in the south it would be near the top. Unfortunately, comparatively, we're next to Massachusetts, which is usually considered the nation's best. RI's very top school systems would swim in the middle of the pack in Mass. The thought is, " if they can do it, why can't we". I see it as a issue of mediocre leadership, going back decades. Others look elsewhere for the problem.
So you are basing it on comparisons to MA, which happens to be ranked #1 in the country? You would also be incorrect about the very top RI school systems being "middle of the pack" in MA. I imagine Barrington and E.G. would still be in the upper quintile were they in MA. MA is far bigger with many more wealthy school districts, of course there will be more high ranking ones there. It's a power of size and numbers. Now of course MA beats RI in education, I don't think anybody would seriously debate that. But this mantra you keep repeating about anywhere not Barrington or East Greenwich having mediocre schools, does not hold much candle and you haven't provided any information to support it. You appear to have an agenda here.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:23 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
RI wouldn't be a bad choice. Or maybe hopping the border into Attleborough and Seekonk to commute in?

Old 01-07-2020, 11:48 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
Where's the OP?

Old 01-07-2020, 11:55 PM

17,767 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Where's the OP?
Last Activity: 12-26-2019 07:43 PM

Old 01-08-2020, 12:05 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Last Activity: 12-26-2019 07:43 PM
Well, I've enjoyed the thread, as it was my first time viewing it.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:42 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,703,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So you are basing it on comparisons to MA, which happens to be ranked #1 in the country? You would also be incorrect about the very top RI school systems being "middle of the pack" in MA. I imagine Barrington and E.G. would still be in the upper quintile were they in MA.
I don't do much imagining about Barrington & EG schools. Both are considered the best in RI by most accounts. In the last ranking I saw comparing RI & Mass., Barrington would be have been ranked #28, had it been located in Massachusetts instead of RI. But, as I said, there's plenty of data out there that anyone genuinely interested, can access. No need to depend on opinions here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island