Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 3,446 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband and I currently live in Connecticut in the Farmington Valley. He has accepted a job in Lincoln so we’re trying to decide where to make our next home. I grew up on the Jersey Shore and my husband spent his high school and undergrad years in Florida, so we both love the water, something our current town is lacking, except for our local river.

We’re considering Bristol and Barrington, realizing there’s a commute to Lincoln. My husband already has an hour commute now and although he’d like to shorten it, I think he’s willing to commute about 30 minutes if we find a town we really like. We’re in our mid-50s, both engineers (I’m not currently working), no kids in school, although our 20-year-old son is currently at home. We figure access to Providence/College Hill and a train to Boston would be more exciting for him than our current, woodsy, bear-filled suburbia!

Barrington sounds most like the town we’re in now, but we’re concerned most of the town focus would be around the schools. Bristol sounds more like a community we’d like with its shops, lovely bay views and activities like festivals and the parade on the 4th. Both towns seem to have good libraries, another thing important to us. We’re used to the high cost of living in the northeast, crowded roads (see NJ above) and the cold/snow.

Wherever we land we’d like to get involved to have something to do besides work and to meet people and make friends, which wasn’t the easiest in our current town. Is there much interaction among the folks in Barrington/Warren/Bristol or do the towns pretty much keep to themselves?

My husband will probably move ahead of me and rent for awhile, as my 88-year-old mother lives with us and she’s partially disabled from a stroke. We depend on our local dial-a-ride service to get her to doctor appointments, so I’m also curious as to services to help seniors and the disabled get around. (Finding a house that works for her needs might also prove challenging, hence our taking our time to buy.)

He visited yesterday and East Greenwich was included in his tour of the area. While it was nice, it didn’t speak to him like Bristol did. We also think Lincoln is more rural than we’d like at this point, too. We’re already surrounded by trees in our current home to the point we can’t even see our neighbors...

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide!

Last edited by NeptuneNancy; 12-28-2019 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Added paragraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 10:52 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneNancy View Post
Hello all! My husband and I currently live in Connecticut in the Farmington Valley. He has accepted a job in Lincoln so we’re trying to decide where to make our next home. I grew up on the Jersey Shore and my husband spent his high school and undergrad years in Florida, so we both love the water, something our current town is lacking, except for our local river.

We’re considering Bristol and Barrington, realizing there’s a commute to Lincoln. My husband already has an hour commute now and although he’d like to shorten it, I think he’s willing to commute about 30 minutes if we find a town we really like. We’re in our mid-50s, both engineers (I’m not currently working), no kids in school, although our 20-year-old son is currently at home. We figure access to Providence/College Hill and a train to Boston would be more exciting for him than our current, woodsy, bear-filled suburbia!

Barrington sounds most like the town we’re in now, but we’re concerned most of the town focus would be around the schools. Bristol sounds more like a community we’d like with its shops, lovely bay views and activities like festivals and the parade on the 4th. Both towns seem to have good libraries, another thing important to us. We’re used to the high cost of living in the northeast, crowded roads (see NJ above) and the cold/snow.

Wherever we land we’d like to get involved to have something to do besides work and to meet people and make friends, which wasn’t the easiest in our current town. Is there much interaction among the folks in Barrington/Warren/Bristol or do the towns pretty much keep to themselves?

My husband will probably move ahead of me and rent for awhile, as my 88-year-old mother lives with us and she’s partially disabled from a stroke. We depend on our local dial-a-ride service to get her to doctor appointments, so I’m also curious as to services to help seniors and the disabled get around. (Finding a house that works for her needs might also prove challenging, hence our taking our time to buy.)

He visited yesterday and East Greenwich was included in his tour of the area. While it was nice, it didn’t speak to him like Bristol did. We also think Lincoln is more rural than we’d like at this point, too. We’re already surrounded by trees in our current home to the point we can’t even see our neighbors...

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide!
The East Bay is made up of 3 nice coastal towns. Warren, Barrington & Bristol are all fine in their own way. Since schools aren't an issue, I'd suggest you save some housing money & consider Warren or Bristol, the least expensive of the three. However, the 146/95/195 commute may be challenging during rush hours depending on where in Lincoln you're headed. Both towns have a thriving community aspect. Bristol & EG are entirely different coastal vibes. Likely what doesn't resonate about EG, you'll like about Bristol. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2019, 12:41 PM

Thanks for your input. I feel my husband is trying hard to figure a way to make Bristol work! At least he’ll be renting for awhile before we buy anything. I guess that’ll be the true test of whether or not the commute will work.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:31 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
In my opinion, on the overall, the East Bay (Barrington, Warren, Bristol) is the best area in RI.

Barrington isn't just about the schools, and there is a thriving community aspect there also. It has a different vibe though - which you may or may not be looking for. Bristol and Warren are more down-to-earth.

Bristol gives you easier access to Newport. Barrington gives you easier access to Providence. (Not that Bristol to Providence or Barrington to Newport is difficult.) Warren puts you right in the middle with easy access to both Providence and Newport.

As for interaction among the towns, not so much with Barrington. Somewhat with Bristol and Warren as they share a school system and are more closely related (again, down-to-earth). There is a keeping up with the Joneses mentality in Barrington that you won't find in the other towns (except for perhaps the Touisset Point section of Warren).

Barrington has the best library.

If it matters, the (per thousand) property taxes are:

Bristol -- $15.38 ($17.35 for cars)
Warren -- $18.86 ($26.00 for cars)
Barrington -- $19.50 ($42.00 for cars)

As for housing that would work for your mother, I'm not sure about that. I'm also not sure about services to help seniors and disabled get around. All 3 towns have medical centers.

Regarding the commute, it won't be awful from the East Bay. There will be traffic when approaching and going through Providence.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:36 PM

Thank you. It was my dental hygienist who suggested Barrington to me initially as being most likely our current town, so I think I understand the vibe you mention. Our school system is excellent, but we’ve been through a few high school principals in recent years as the parents are known to be “tough!” Many expensive homes in the area and I’ve been to parent nights where the moms sat around discussing the decorators they hired! Not something I care too much about.

We pay a car tax here in CT as well so that’s nothing new.

Last edited by NeptuneNancy; 12-28-2019 at 02:46 PM..

Old 12-28-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you. It was my dental hygienist who suggested Barrington to me initially as being most likely our current town, so I think I understand the vibe you mention. Our school system is excellent, but we’ve been through a few high school principals in recent years as the parents are known to be “tough!” Many expensive homes in the area and I’ve been to parent nights where the moms sat around discussing the decorators they hired! Not something I care too much about.

We pay a car tax here in CT as well so that’s nothing new.
I was trying to be careful with my wording. The last time Barrington was mentioned on here, one of our less informed members jumped all over me for saying Barrington is snobby. What you described about the moms discussing the decorators they hired is exactly what Barrington is like. You will not find that in Bristol.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:22 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Let’s just say, when you’re traveling through Barrington and cross into either East Providence or Warren, you know you’re not in Barrington anymore. Crossing into Warwick or North Kingstown from East Greenwich is less evident or noticeable, as that area of the state is more consistently “nice” overall, in my opinion. Also, Portuguese-American people, who dominant Bristol County (i.e., Barrington, Bristol and Warren) as well as neighboring East Providence and Seekonk, MA aren’t as friendly or warm as Italian-American people, at least in my personal experience of living in Rhode Island for 20 years.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Let’s just say, when you’re traveling through Barrington and cross into either East Providence or Warren, you know you’re not in Barrington anymore. Crossing into Warwick or North Kingstown from East Greenwich is less evident or noticeable, as that area of the state is more consistently “nice” overall, in my opinion. Also, Portuguese-American people, who dominant Bristol County (i.e., Barrington, Bristol and Warren) as well as neighboring East Providence and Seekonk, MA aren’t as friendly or warm as Italian-American people, either, at least in my personal experience of living in Rhode Island for 20 years.
Regarding Portuguese-American people...

Bristol and Warren, yes.

Barrington, no.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:53 PM

164 posts, read 125,241 times
Bristol commute through Warren and Barrington adds significant time to commute
Without kids, if there is any housing near Crescent Park Riverside, down the pennisula this is a nice area and a LOT easier to move north
Barrington is many different neighborhoods. Nyatt/Rumstick certainly on the $$$ side. Other parts of town are much more middle class.
Resale value, if that is a concern in long term, having the best schools will keep value of your investment up.
Warren is up an coming, the conversion of the Tourister Mills has really pumped the town, but it is certainly working class.
Bristol is also really different depending upon where you are
Walking the beaches of Barrington (for me) out does walking through shops with tourists.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:56 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:

This is the best advice! Take it, and you’ll thank me.
I would strongly suggest you consider Lincoln first! If you work there, consider living there, it a nice town, and closer to the Boston area. Trust me, you do not want to throw yourself at the mercy of the Washington Bridge everyday. Like many metro areas, traffic continues to increase, and get worse. Providence metro traffic during rush hour, particularly over that God forsaken bridge is a nightmare. If you do decide to move to East Bay, I suspect within weeks we can expect a post about your regret, or your disdain for R.I. drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island