Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 04:29 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,723,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
And may I ask which particular "weak and failed democracy" you're referring to? Rhode Island?
No. For all of Rhode Island's faults, one of them isn't fascism. Fascist Authoritarianism afflicts nations. Usually weakened republics. Germany's post war Weimar Republic is still the gold standard example. Although several have followed and some weak democracies seem to be transitioning to fascism even today. Brazil, Hungary & even Poland come to mind. It can take a bit of time, but we should know shortly if our democracy has held. I'm confident.

"A republic, if you can keep it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 06:34 AM

https://www.providencejournal.com/ne...ightclub-noise

Here's the resident's noise complaint call to the Providence Police. Pretty straight forward.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:57 AM

4,234 posts, read 1,689,013 times
I see. Am I to understand that if things "shortly" don't turn out the way that you personally believe they should, that this will be all the sign you need to divine that our democracy hasn't "taken"? It seems to me that the will of the people carrying the day over your personal wishes is a positive indication OF democracy. I'm afraid that you underestimate this great country if you lie awake at night fretting whether or not her democracy has "taken". If you're aware of a more vibrant and successful democracy on this planet, it's my sincerest wish that you share it with us. You've proven capable of quoting the great Dr. Franklin but less so of understanding him. One of his greatest fears for the new republic was an EXCESS of democracy, with Rhode Island being a pointed example. Democracy will always be tenuous, but I possess the utmost faith in the citizenry residing from sea to shining sea. What's old is new my friend, pick up a book.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
I see. Am I to understand that if things "shortly" don't turn out the way that you personally believe they should, that this will be all the sign you need to divine that our democracy hasn't "taken"? It seems to me that the will of the people carrying the day over your personal wishes is a positive indication OF democracy. I'm afraid that you underestimate this great country if you lie awake at night fretting whether or not her democracy has "taken". If you're aware of a more vibrant and successful democracy on this planet, it's my sincerest wish that you share it with us. You've proven capable of quoting the great Dr. Franklin but less so of understanding him. One of his greatest fears for the new republic was an EXCESS of democracy, with Rhode Island being a pointed example. Democracy will always be tenuous, but I possess the utmost faith in the citizenry residing from sea to shining sea. What's old is new my friend, pick up a book.
This lofty tract is apparently about a belief in some kind of American democracy "exceptionalism". A premise I'm not on board with. But, granted, it has been exceptional for some. And, continues to be so.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:31 AM

4,234 posts, read 1,689,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
This lofty tract is apparently about a belief in some kind of American democracy "exceptionalism". A premise I'm not on board with. But, granted, it has been exceptional for some. And, continues to be so.
If your search leads you to a more "exceptional" democracy, please send a post card.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:53 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,910,477 times
R.I. State Senate candidate plans to call her 'Pig Roast' fundraiser a 'protest'

https://turnto10.com/news/local/ri-s...iser-a-protest

Old 12-06-2022, 05:11 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,836,898 times
Well this controversial restaurant is finally calling it quits. While I never like to see a business close, in this case I say Providence is better off for it.

Fortnight Natural Wine Bar and Coop is Closing at the End of December

https://www.rimonthly.com/fortnight-natural-wine-bar/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island