Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 06:41 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times

Advertisements

RI could lose a house seat solely to the 2020 census under count.

We're missing a third to a half the population -so far. This is huge and deserves more attention.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...id=hplocalnews

PS Thread title wrong- I meant house seat- don't know how to edit it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 07:15 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
RI could lose a house seat solely to the 2020 census under count.

We're missing a third to a half the population -so far. This is huge and deserves more attention.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...id=hplocalnews
I know. It was likely to happen regardless. With an undercount, it's almost a certainty. But, it's been said we effectively have only one now.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:26 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Every state in the Union is grappling with census response rates, and how many others are facing less representation in Washington? Perhaps not quite as many people "flooding in" as you had hoped? Lower your taxes, grow an economy and these things will take care of themselves. Trust me.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:28 AM

6 more people in Newport admitting that they live in Rhode Island isn't going to save you.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:10 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,899,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Every state in the Union is grappling with census response rates, and how many others are facing less representation in Washington? Perhaps not quite as many people "flooding in" as you had hoped? Lower your taxes, grow an economy and these things will take care of themselves. Trust me.

Why would we want people flooding in when we already have a million packed into the tiniest state in the country? No thanks!

Now, I wouldn't mind trading some of our current residents for more productive ones - but as always - that's the same virtually everywhere.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Why would we want people flooding in when we already have a million packed into the tiniest state in the country? No thanks!

Now, I wouldn't mind trading some of our current residents for more productive ones - but as always - that's the same virtually everywhere.
NOW it's obvious that you've been in Rhode Island since 2003. And drinking the water. Stagnant population growth is not something to be desirous of. Most surprising though is that in 20 years you haven't asked yourself why. This sort of stunted growth is the same virtually "nowhere".

Old 08-29-2020, 09:48 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,899,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
NOW it's obvious that you've been in Rhode Island since 2003. And drinking the water. Stagnant population growth is not something to be desirous of. Most surprising though is that in 20 years you haven't asked yourself why. This sort of stunted growth is the same virtually "nowhere".

First of all that's not true. There are plenty of other states with stagnant population growth, and Rhode Island isn't even in the bottom 10 according to governing.com that compiles this data quite judiciously:

https://www.governing.com/topics/mgm...on-census.html

Second, Rhode Island is anomalous due to its size. Not only do we already have plenty of people, but most of them are crammed in the Eastern half of a state the size of a county (along the water.)

I'm not saying Rhode Island doesn't have plenty of problems (like everywhere else), but many of us who choose to live here obviously have our reasons - and your harping on negatively in every single thread you can won't change that.

But, hey, I'm all about free speech. So please continue if you wish!

Old 08-29-2020, 10:12 AM

Like the stock market or real estate, historical snapshots are easily manipulated. Since the 2010 census, Rhode Island ranks 47th in population growth. Behind Mississippi, Louisiana AND Alabama. And please understand that these numbers are per capita and have nothing to do with population density. Or why wouldn't Massachusetts and New Jersey suffer the same demographic anemia? And plenty of "tiny" states are going gangbusters. It's simply suffocating taxes and a lack of economic opportunity. You may THINK that you're keeping a well kept secret to yourself, but what continues to suppress growth in Rhode Island is that the secret's actually out.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
First of all that's not true. There are plenty of other states with stagnant population growth, and Rhode Island isn't even in the bottom 10 according to governing.com that compiles this data quite judiciously:

https://www.governing.com/topics/mgm...on-census.html

Second, Rhode Island is anomalous due to its size. Not only do we already have plenty of people, but most of them are crammed in the Eastern half of a state the size of a county (along the water.)

I'm not saying Rhode Island doesn't have plenty of problems (like everywhere else), but many of us who choose to live here obviously have our reasons - and your harping on negatively in every single thread you can won't change that.

But, hey, I'm all about free speech. So please continue if you wish!
This is a RELOCATION forum. It's not your soul that I'm trying to save.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:23 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
I think they should have delayed the 2020 census until 2021. I know it delays reapportionment.
However, I can't help thinking that COVID will skew the numbers. So many people not where they normally would have been on April 1.

Combine that with many more properties in Newport and South Counties converted to seasonal use only from full time residency. My old block in Newport had 48 people in 2010. Now it's down to 26.

It goes without saying the immigrant population of the state has always been tough to count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island