Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 06:42 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
But, it was breeched & breeched big. It was Sedition. We can only hope it's not the undercard.

Yes, woulda-coulda-shoulda. Regardless, this backwoods rep. probably shouldn't have come back to RI trying to push another BIG LIE: That it wasn't actually the intentioned MAGA who breeched, but rather "Antifa" & BLM. This obvious absurdity sounded like a pre-packed LIE meant for the most ignorant of their own to consume elsewhere. I suspect his voters will be the only final judges of his actions that day. Unless more information is uncovered which points otherwise.
I also first believed that it was Antifa involved and I'm still not convinced that they are totally innocent, but the man has a right to his own opinion. How did "you" know that it was a BIG LIE at the time? They're still trying to sort this all out as we speak.

Everyone needs to chill out and let things simmer down and play out. It would be the best thing for the country, for both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 07:20 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,703,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
I also first believed that it was Antifa involved and I'm still not convinced that they are totally innocent, but the man has a right to his own opinion. How did "you" know that it was a BIG LIE at the time?
You have to start with the idea that there's is such a thing as the truth. When EVERYTHING is "opinion", lies can infect it all. Which, of course only benefits the liar. You have to know the truth before you can recognize a lie.

I happen to trust old, traditional news sources: the NYT, Washington Post, WSJ, even National Review (which I started reading at 12 y/old) to provide me the truth - amongst some other seasoned sources. Others may simply brand these the "liberal media". While my biases are obviously progressive, it's my personal conservatism which guides where I look to find the truth. I remain skeptical of any news sources which sprung up after my hair turned grey. Especially television.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/20...fa-capitol-mob

Old 01-12-2021, 07:48 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,678,425 times
Anyone denouncing this right wing violence while refusing to do so for left wing violence of the recent past obviously possesses an agenda other than than the TRUTH as ascertained through independent and critical thought. It's entirely typical of the herd mentality afflicting the extremes of both parties. And it's dangerous. It really IS Ok to think for oneself.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Anyone denouncing this right wing violence while refusing to do so for left wing violence of the recent past obviously possesses an agenda other than than the TRUTH as ascertained through independent and critical thought. It's entirely typical of the herd mentality afflicting the extremes of both parties. And it's dangerous. It really IS Ok to think for oneself.
Well stated.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
You have to start with the idea that there's is such a thing as the truth. When EVERYTHING is "opinion", lies can infect it all. Which, of course only benefits the liar. You have to know the truth before you can recognize a lie.
Think of it as a Court Case. When there are accusations and charges, a person has a Trial. As we all know, in the Trial there are back and forth arguments, witnesses interviewed and with the the input of a Judge a person is determined to be innocent or guilty.

I'm also from the school that believes a person is innocent UNTIL proven guilty.

It looks like what you are saying is that you knew it all before the guy even took his trip back to RI.

And since when are Newspapers the final word on a judgement?

By the way, Washington Post ??

One of the most liberal lop-sided newspapers out there. I've even seen Liberals themselves call them out. They are actually the butt of a joke on many forums out there.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:14 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,703,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
It's simply a false equation. One which only seems to come from the extreme right and their apologists for the direct attack made on our capitol & democracy itself. Dangerous indeed.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:38 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,678,425 times
Quote:
It's simply a false equation. One which only seems to come from the extreme right and their apologists for the direct attack made on our capitol & democracy itself. Dangerous indeed.
No apologies, I condemn both. Do you?

Old 01-12-2021, 08:46 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Quote:
Absolutely. People who refuse to examine the difference between the movements are just being disingenuous.

No one condones violence on either side.

However, the movements are FAR from equivalent. Who holds any moral authority? On one side you've got (mostly) working class white men who fantasize that their votes have been "stolen" despite ALL evidence to the contrary and that they should obey the dictates of a delusional dictator including believing QAnon nonsense.

On the other, you've got people with provable, legitimate claims of discrimination and real evidence of increasing fascistic and white supremacist movements.

Last edited by Hollytree; 01-12-2021 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-12-2021, 08:54 AM

The breech at the Capitol was wrong. I also condemn it.

I also realize that the majority of the people there had no idea it was going to happen. And just because someone attended, does not make them guilty of it.

It was also a pretty quick deal in comparison.

Now the Antifa protest in the Northwest and other places went on for weeks. We all know the details of it without having to spell it all out. It even had the blessings of some of the politicians there. When offered help to stop it, they refused.

In all fairness it had it's weight on being noteworthy. And in some ways, it was worse. Also, except in the very beginning, the people who decided to attend knew ahead of what was going on and what there were getting into.

For anyone to say that one was horrible and the other was next to nothing, is only showing bias-ness to the full extent.

Hopefully, this should be the last word on it.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:59 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
The breech at the Capitol was wrong. I also condemn it.

I also realize that the majority of the people there had no idea it was going to happen. And just because someone attended, does not make them guilty of it.

It was also a pretty quick deal in comparison.

Now the Antifa protest in the Northwest and other places went on for weeks. We all know the details of it without having to spell it all out. It even had the blessings of some of the politicians there. When offered help to stop it, they refused.

In all fairness it had it's weight on being noteworthy. And in some ways, it was worse. Also, except in the very beginning, the people who decided to attend knew ahead of what was going on and what there were getting into.

For anyone to say that one was horrible and the other was next to nothing, is only showing bias-ness to the full extent.

Hopefully, this should be the last word on it.

Thank you.

It should be said that anyone who fails to condemn EITHER, is a traitor to this nation. No "well this one was worse because_____"... JUST STOP. It ends right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island